You are not logged in.

#1 2019-09-10 07:13:27

Nexrem

Random freeze, no logs

I own an Asus FX505DT, a rather new laptop, which might be the reason for the issue in retrospect.

Arch runs fine but at seemingly random the entire machine locks up and crashes. When that happens the caps-lock LED begins flashing to indicate a freeze (or hardware crash?)
This is making Arch unusable at work for me for the time being. This does not happen on Windows.

Specs:
* AMD Ryzen 7 3750H (with vega iGPU)
* Nvidia GTX 1650
* 8G RAM

The crash does not seem to produce any traces in journald.

Last edited by Nexrem (2019-09-10 07:16:20)

#2 2019-09-10 14:46:02

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Random freeze, no logs

Nexrem wrote:

When that happens the caps-lock LED begins flashing to indicate a freeze (or hardware crash?)

The flashing keyboard LED is evidence of a kernel panic
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Kernel_panic

I feel your pain.  You might also try a different kernel.  Also, do you have any microcode updates for your processor installed?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2019-09-10 20:30:41

Nexrem

ewaller wrote:
Nexrem wrote:

When that happens the caps-lock LED begins flashing to indicate a freeze (or hardware crash?)

The flashing keyboard LED is evidence of a kernel panic
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Kernel_panic

I feel your pain.  You might also try a different kernel.  Also, do you have any microcode updates for your processor installed?

Yes,

amd-ucode

is installed and GRUB is properly configured to use it.

Last edited by Nexrem (2019-09-10 20:32:18)

#4 2019-09-10 21:58:34

Swiggles

No log output is bad, but unfortunately that's the reality of a crash. Unless there is no output at the end of your previous journal you have to resort to some heavier guns

journalctl -b-1

Please post the output so we can take a look as well.

For debugging a kernel crash the option of choice is most likely Kdump. So please read this page in preparation and try the steps described.

#5 2019-09-11 07:02:24

Nexrem

Swiggles wrote:

No log output is bad, but unfortunately that's the reality of a crash. Unless there is no output at the end of your previous journal you have to resort to some heavier guns

journalctl -b-1

Please post the output so we can take a look as well.

For debugging a kernel crash the option of choice is most likely Kdump. So please read this page in preparation and try the steps described.

Here you go: https://pastebin.com/raw/bkzUvRNL

#6 2019-09-11 15:56:42

Swiggles

Sorry, I think I wasn't clear. I wanted to see a log from when the crash happens, so right after a crash.

When you check "last" you might see some entries for "crash". Count the system boots and offset the boot parameter from journalctl.

last | less
# count how often "system boot" appears in the second column until you find the first crash in the second to last column
# This way you already offset by one and arrive at the right number
journalctl -b-$COUNT

Or as a one liner:

journalctl -b-$(last | sed -e '/crash/,$d' | grep 'system boot' | wc -l)

#7 2019-09-12 09:32:35

Nexrem

Swiggles wrote:

Sorry, I think I wasn't clear. I wanted to see a log from when the crash happens, so right after a crash.

When you check "last" you might see some entries for "crash". Count the system boots and offset the boot parameter from journalctl.

last | less
# count how often "system boot" appears in the second column until you find the first crash in the second to last column
# This way you already offset by one and arrive at the right number
journalctl -b-$COUNT

Or as a one liner:

journalctl -b-$(last | sed -e '/crash/,$d' | grep 'system boot' | wc -l)

Alright, sorry for the wait, had to wait it out to crash. It crashed while opening a new tab in chromium.

https://gist.githubusercontent.com/mega … bb/log.log

The log is rather spammy, because I'm using a rather verbose WLAN driver. Feel free to filter out `RTW` to get those out of the way

#8 2019-09-12 11:10:20

Swiggles

Hm, the logs do not provide much information, but you already said that from the start. :-)

The ACPI table got some bugs, but nothing terrible as far as I can tell and is unfortunately not unexpected for most laptops.
The only thing noticeable is the permanent change in power state of the wifi card, but I assume that's normal. Just usually not logged in such detail. Only one minor detail: The last state before panic is power saving or idle. Either it tried to wake up and crashed the system or it is completely unrelated.

I assume it is the later one and I can't figure anything out at all from the logs. My advice is to check the link for Kdump and try to figure out what is causing it or produce at least a dump so we can go from there.

#9 2019-09-12 19:21:02

gnox

I have the same cpu/wifi card/video card, if you disable the wifi/driver and just connects using ethernet do you have the same problem? because I remember that I have some problems with that 8821ce driver in a previous version but using connman, you can reduce that driver logs with :

/etc/modprobe.d/8821ce.conf

options 8821ce rtw_drv_log_level=3

This is my boot parameters.

title Archlinux
linux /vmlinuz-linux
initrd /amd-ucode.img
initrd /initramfs-linux.img
options rd.luks.name=xxxx=cryptroot rd.luks.options=allow-discards root=/dev/mapper/cryptroot quiet rw add_efi_map iommu=soft audit=0

The only difference should be the iommu=soft that is for the fstrim nvme bug .

I dont see the amd-ucode in your journal, are you sure is being called ?

Last edited by gnox (2019-09-12 19:25:23)

#10 2019-09-12 23:00:13

Nexrem

gnox wrote:

I have the same cpu/wifi card/video card, if you disable the wifi/driver and just connects using ethernet do you have the same problem? because I remember that I have some problems with that 8821ce driver in a previous version but using connman, you can reduce that driver logs with :

/etc/modprobe.d/8821ce.conf

options 8821ce rtw_drv_log_level=3

This is my boot parameters.

title Archlinux
linux /vmlinuz-linux
initrd /amd-ucode.img
initrd /initramfs-linux.img
options rd.luks.name=xxxx=cryptroot rd.luks.options=allow-discards root=/dev/mapper/cryptroot quiet rw add_efi_map iommu=soft audit=0

The only difference should be the iommu=soft that is for the fstrim nvme bug .

I dont see the amd-ucode in your journal, are you sure is being called ?

Yeah, I'm sure it's loaded, without it it refuses to run the vega GPU. I reported the driver logging spam on git https://github.com/tomaspinho/rtl8821ce/issues/73 btw

#11 2019-09-14 19:28:08

Nexrem

Swiggles wrote:

Hm, the logs do not provide much information, but you already said that from the start. :-)

The ACPI table got some bugs, but nothing terrible as far as I can tell and is unfortunately not unexpected for most laptops.
The only thing noticeable is the permanent change in power state of the wifi card, but I assume that's normal. Just usually not logged in such detail. Only one minor detail: The last state before panic is power saving or idle. Either it tried to wake up and crashed the system or it is completely unrelated.

I assume it is the later one and I can't figure anything out at all from the logs. My advice is to check the link for Kdump and try to figure out what is causing it or produce at least a dump so we can go from there.

Well, my machine kept panicking while attempting to compile the new kernel. I decided to run it in tty suspecting Xorg or something, managed to get a picture of the panic screen. Hopefully this would be of help. Sorry for the low quality, it seems readable however.

https://i.imgur.com/4fSlMLn.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/JW2dPZv.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/2wi9usK.jpg

#12 2019-09-14 19:48:29

Swiggles

Please open a bug for the wifi driver. This is the function causing the kernel panic:

https://github.com/tomaspinho/rtl8821ce … me.c#L4302

For the time being you should remove/disable the driver.

Edit: One more thing, the repo mentions active state power management could be a problem, have you tried adding this kernel parameter?

pci=noaer

I fail to see how disabling advanced error reporting could help here, but it's worth a shot.

Last edited by Swiggles (2019-09-14 19:57:05)

Board footer