You are not logged in.

#1 2019-09-17 21:41:06

Epoxyc

[Solved] Btrfs freeze, how to repair?

Hi,
I was deleting/copying some files in my home directory when my system froze. The system now freezes during boot.
As for my setup, I have a single 1TB SSD, full disk encryption, with LVM and a big btrfs partition on the top of it with many subvolumes, for root, home and snapshots. I think have about 70GB of free space on the partition.

When I boot from an old root snapshot, same problem.
I decided to boot from a USB media. I can mount the filesystem, but as soon as I do something on it (ex: 'ls /mnt/root'), it freezes.
Thankfully, I managed to mount it as read-only and I can access my data, so I can backup things I don't backup regularly.

I know btrfs is quite capricious when almost full, so I am wondering if it could be my problem. (70GB were given by an applet that's I guess uses df, so not that accurate when talking about btrfs), I'll check more in details now that, I have a mounted filesystem, but after the backup.

I also tried to look into the logs with journalctl -D, but nothing suspicious (I guess the filesystem crashed before anything could be logged).

When my backup would eventually finish, I am guessing what to try to repair the filesystem. It seems everything on the internet is about rescuing the data, but not the filesystem itself. Any idea?

Thank you in advance.

EDIT: When remounting the partition to rw, the system hanged for like one or two minutes and now everything works fine, I don't understand.

Last edited by Epoxyc (2019-09-17 23:12:42)

Board footer