You are not logged in.

#1 2019-09-22 09:41:22

mohtasham1983

Cannot boot from recovery USB bootable drive

I was running pacman -Suy while editing a video on kdenlive. Kdenlive caused the system to crash. I had to turn the machine off. After turning it on, I was presented with this error:

Cannot Boot: modules.devname not found.

So I decided to boot using a recovery USB drive. I downloaded Arch 2019 ISO and used the dd command to create the image on my Kubuntu laptop, but it finished too fast. I'm not too sure what the sync option that I provided at the end did. I had created bootable USB drives using this method before.

Anyway, I gave the manual method in Arch Wiki a try and got it all copied.

Then I inserted the flash drive on my desktop, changed the boot option in the UEFI interface and selected my flash drive. Hever, I get the following error when I try to boot with the flash drive:

Reboot and select proper Boot device or insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key.

I was really trying to get my video done tonight, but it looks like I can't even get my computer back to life and it's getting 3am now sad

I"d really appreciate if you could share some tips on how to get my computer back to live.

#2 2019-09-22 15:35:09

d_fajardo

Re: Cannot boot from recovery USB bootable drive

You will really need a Live USB Arch for recovery. OpenSuse's Image writer always works for me in writing the ISO. It should be available for Kubuntu as well I would think. Once booted you can just follow this.

#3 2019-09-23 05:38:09

mohtasham1983

Stupid me. Instead of using my device as /dev/sdx, I was using /dev/sda1 when running that dd command in Arch wiki. So I was able to pass that stage. However, the next stage failed. I ended up adding nomodeset to kernel option when booting on USB and got it working. Then I mounted the partitions and chrooted everything and ran:

mkinitcpio -p linux

Then I ran:

grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Which worked fine. However the following gave me an error:

grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=GRUB

Where /boot/efi is where i have mounted my efi parition at.

I get this error:

efi variables are not supported on this systemp

I built my system 5 years ago on an ASUS P8Z77-V motherboard. I don't even remember how I installed everything back then. I have already tried all the stupid UEFI settings without any luck sad

#4 2019-09-23 05:45:04

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Board footer