You are not logged in.

#1 2019-09-21 14:59:19

ProgrammAbel

[SOLVED] OpenGL 3.3 not working

So it's been a few months since Blender 2.80 came out. When I updated, it crashed when I opened it. I thought that my GPU was too old to support OpenGL 3.3 and thought nothing of it.

Now here I am, trying to use the program Citra, but the same thing happens. This time I do a bit of digging. Both these programs require OpenGL 3.3, which I thought my GPU didn't support. But running this command

$ glxinfo | grep 'version'
server glx version string: 1.4
client glx version string: 1.4
GLX version: 1.4
    Max core profile version: 3.3
    Max compat profile version: 3.0
    Max GLES1 profile version: 1.1
    Max GLES[23] profile version: 3.0
OpenGL core profile version string: 3.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 19.1.7
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 3.30
OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 19.1.7
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30
OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.0 Mesa 19.1.7
OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.00

shows that my OpenGL version is indeed 3.3. So what's going on? Why am I unable to run these programs? Is there a problem somewhere else?

Just to let you know, my graphics card is AMD RV730.

Last edited by ProgrammAbel (2019-09-24 17:41:27)

#2 2019-09-22 15:24:39

Lone_Wolf

Re: [SOLVED] OpenGL 3.3 not working

Max core profile version: 3.3
    Max compat profile version: 3.0

You may be bitten by the difference between compat and core profiles and a certain proprietary driver not supporting core profiles.
Blender is known to have problems with amd opensource drivers on linux, no idea about citra.

If you're referring to https://citra-emu.org/ , their faq mentions they create a log file.
That file may help to figure out the issue.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2019-09-23 08:41:20

SyndromeDayna

Execute following commands in console:

sudo -i
echo "MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=3.3" >> /etc/environment
echo "MESA_GLSL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=330" >> /etc/environment

and reboot. This will force your opengl version to 3.3.

Just keep in mind that your opengl 3.3 implementation is incomplete and might have graphical glitches.

Last edited by SyndromeDayna (2019-09-23 08:45:13)

#4 2019-09-23 09:07:44

Lone_Wolf

added by me

This will force your  opengl compatibility profile version to 3.3.

Just keep in mind that your opengl compatibility profile 3.3 implementation is incomplete and might have graphical glitches.

Tl;DR : these applications are the problem, they should list OpenGL 3.3 compatibility profile as required minimum.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

#5 2019-09-23 18:35:03

ProgrammAbel

Thank you all for your answers. After trying SyndromeDayna's idea I can confirm that the compatibility profile version has been forced to 3.3. When opening Citra and Blender, I can now view the application, but as soon as I start navigating around, it crashes again. With regards to the log file, it is impossible to access because Citra overwrites the log file when the application is restarted and since my computer completely freezes when this happens, I can't access it at all. My question is, why doesn't it just use the core version? Why does it always fallback to the compatibility version?

#6 2019-09-23 19:30:32

V1del
Forum Moderator

Applications have to be explicitly developed to request a core context, this usually also mandates that they can't use certain features from previous OpenGL versions. If they expect to be able to use both, then you're somewhat out of luck if you have an older chipset. More modern chipsets (though I'm not sure whether this is just limited to radeon on mesa) do have a higher compatibility profile version and e.g. the nvidia blob doesn't care and you can use both modern and old OpenGL in a compat context.

FWIW if you are barely reaching 3.3 in a core context manner that often also means that certain newer functionality cannot be directly implemented in hardware, and even if the programs were fully compatible with a core profile they might see subpar performance.

Last edited by V1del (2019-09-23 19:33:30)

#7 2019-09-24 06:24:02

ProgrammAbel

V1del wrote:

Applications have to be explicitly developed to request a core context, this usually also mandates that they can't use certain features from previous OpenGL versions. If they expect to be able to use both, then you're somewhat out of luck if you have an older chipset. More modern chipsets (though I'm not sure whether this is just limited to radeon on mesa) do have a higher compatibility profile version and e.g. the nvidia blob doesn't care and you can use both modern and old OpenGL in a compat context.

FWIW if you are barely reaching 3.3 in a core context manner that often also means that certain newer functionality cannot be directly implemented in hardware, and even if the programs were fully compatible with a core profile they might see subpar performance.

Ah, okay, got it. So does this mean I can't run these applications on this computer?

#8 2019-09-24 11:40:19

Lone_Wolf

So does this mean I can't run these applications on this computer?

yup, only way to get them to work on your system woud be to replace the videocard.

Recent AMD (RX 400 or later, maybe some earlier models ) or (if you don't mind proprietary drivers) nvidia cards should work fine.

#9 2019-09-24 12:15:54

V1del
Forum Moderator

FWIW out of curiosity I tested this on my Skylake Intel CPU system, and blender worked without complaining or popping up a dialog. So they are likely actually checking what they need (and relevantly requesting a core profile) but your hardware simply not providing what's necessary.

#10 2019-09-24 17:41:07

ProgrammAbel

Right, thanks guys. My whole computer is overdue for an upgrade anyways tongue

Board footer