You are not logged in.

#1 2019-09-22 09:32:00

Jason P.

Desktop environment stability. Gnome Shell vs Others

Hi,

I'm using Gnome as my desktop environment since years. I have to say that is aesthetically pleasant and I'm basically used to its ecosystem. In general I think it is a great product but lately I've changed a bit my mind.

There are frequent warning messages and non-important errors in the logs, many of them related to X11, but others come from the desktop environment. I'm not saying it's better to hide errors (it's the opposite), but some of them can be there forever and it makes me think that nobody is taking time to fix them. Obviously this is not a problem by itself if the system just works but it could be an indirect and subjective measure for quality.

On the other hand, there are errors that can be problematic and I think I'm seeing more of these from time to time, specially during important Gnome updates.

Do you have the same "feeling" with Gnome? It's more or less the same in every major DE?

#2 2019-09-22 13:03:38

Lone_Wolf

Re: Desktop environment stability. Gnome Shell vs Others

I haven't used a big DE for years, but some of my friends do[1] .
(I also read/participate many forum threads)

Looking at things from a troubleshooting point of view :

During KDE4 period troubleshooting KDE & Gnome issues had about the same difficulty factor.

With the transition from code from KDE to QT5 things became harder for KDE troubleshooting, otoh gnome had it's share of problems with the transition from gtk2 to gtk3 .

Both Qt5 and Gtk3 have stabilised and are now mature toolkits.

KDE has separated the code into applications,Frameworks and plasma . Those 3 categories are developed & released separately.
This has made troubleshooting KDE issues much easier.

Gnome hasn't made such a separation.

At best gnome troubleshooting difficulty has stayed the same while KDE troubleshooting has become easier.
In the long term this may very well lead to an improvement in KDE quality, while gnome quality stays the same or decreases.

[1]
3 use KDE, 1 uses gnome.
All 4 use X11.

Multi-init booting with apg Openrc and systemd coexisting
Automounting : not needed, i prefer pmount
Aur helpers : makepkg + my own local repo === rarely need them

#3 2019-09-24 10:44:00

Jason P.

Oks.

In terms of libraries, if you had to choose one app either developed with Gtk3 or Qt5, would you have any reason to favor one over the other besides look and feel? Just curious wink

#4 2019-09-24 12:14:20

Lone_Wolf

My main concern when choosing between alternative apps is usually "who's in control : me or the app ?"

GTK3 apps often feel less under my control then QT5 apps.

Multi-init booting with apg Openrc and systemd coexisting
Automounting : not needed, i prefer pmount
Aur helpers : makepkg + my own local repo === rarely need them

Board footer