You are not logged in.

#1 2006-08-19 03:46:48

ilmorris

DVD Video but no Audio. [SOLVED]

I am able to see the video from a DVD but not audio.  I can play mp3's fine from the system.  But no audio from DVD's.  I have tried as both my regular users and as root.  Still no audio.  Any suggestions?

#2 2006-08-19 15:36:40

Echo

Re: DVD Video but no Audio. [SOLVED]

Not a lot of info to go on but...

1.) Run the player from a terminal, try to play the dvd and see if you get any error messages.

2.) Try a different player if you haven't already, vlc, xine, mplayer. I imagine you're using one of the latter two.

#3 2006-08-19 18:46:08

ilmorris

Echo wrote:

Not a lot of info to go on but...

1.) Run the player from a terminal, try to play the dvd and see if you get any error messages.

I noticed it showing an error early on when using mplayer from cli...

Linux RTC init error in ioctl (rtc_irqp_set 1024): Permission denied
Try adding "echo 1024 > /proc/sys/dev/rtc/max-user-freq" to your system startup scripts.

vlc gives me an error at startup about 'not being able to set locale to ".

xine was giving me an error about not being able to read the dvd due to copyright issues...  I installed libdvdcss to resolve that.

Echo wrote:

2.) Try a different player if you haven't already, vlc, xine, mplayer. I imagine you're using one of the latter two.

I have tried all the players you have suggested.  All will play the video...  But none of them will play the audio for the dvd.  I have a dual boot system, so I have tried the dvd on the windows side.  And it works without any issues.

Odd thing that may be related...  I have some divx & xvid files on my system that will not play audio now either.  Video plays fine...  But no audio.  The DiVX/XViD files also play normally on my Windows side.

#4 2006-08-19 20:48:36

ilmorris

Well, not sure what the cause of the issue was.  But since I had just got the system up and running anyway.  I decide to format and start from scratch.  After re-installing...  Everything seems to be working correctly now.

#5 2006-08-19 21:08:44

detto

ilmorris wrote:

vlc gives me an error at startup about 'not being able to set locale to "

this seems to me like a locale problem caused by not-configuring your locales? roll
well, just follow the wiki here if u havent done before to avoid this or other problems http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Configuring_locales

cheers,
detto

Board footer