You are not logged in.

#1 2006-08-05 15:53:45

Pavel Jackoff

pacman/Terminal crashes

hi there,
sorry for my first post being an issue, but consider my silentness as a sign for my happiness with arch and for it's greatness. smile

i recently stumbled over some strange issues when running pacman -Syu in terminal (extra/terminal). sometimes either terminal crashes or pacman crashes and takes terminal with it. i don't know since i did not find anything in any log file. also terminal never crashes when running something else than pacman.
after that i have to remove pacmans lock-file and usually get an error by pacman, something like:
"error: /var/lib/pacman/local/kde-common-3.5.4-2/desc: No such file or directory"
repeated several times. up until now it always where kde or gnome packages, but that could just be a coincidence. it's easy to fix, a pacman -Sf <bad_package> will do and i can continue with pacman -Su, but annoying nevertheless.
any ideas on what i might have done wrong and how to fix this? thanks.

#2 2006-08-06 22:38:03

blauknox

Re: pacman/Terminal crashes

Pavel,
Take a look at the following for a possible solution...
    pacman -Syu fails on kde-common error
-blau

#3 2006-08-07 10:12:23

Pavel Jackoff

thanks, but the thread you linked just tells me to do, what i did already. the rm -r mentioned there is not necessary by the way. as stated in my original post, i know how to work around the issue, i'd like to know what leads to the crash and how to avoid it, if possible.

#4 2006-08-07 10:30:55

Pavel Jackoff

today i tried to run a terminal from a different terminal to see if a possible crash of the second would give me some hint in the first terminal.
strangely both terminals crashed. the offending package was libxfce4util-4.2.3.2-4.
maybe i shouldn't run updates of wm-related packages in x?

#5 2006-08-07 21:03:02

bountykiller

I had exactly the same error today on a fresh install.
I'm currently installling gdb to look if I can see something.

#6 2006-08-17 14:06:42

oliv

Same problem hier. It seems like a bad issue.

First you delete pacman lock file
Then you have to reinstall all package with the desc error.

But :
Every other package aren't installed (still the old version) but pacman -Sy don't upgrade any package. I have to install every package by hand (I upgrade every package in /var/cache/pacman/pkg).

Note that it's the second upgrade with this error. I'm not sure but it seems that the pacman db break + console krash is when I update glibc (but with pacman -Suy). If someone can check this. It's hard because this error come just one time.

#7 2006-08-17 14:49:11

fk

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=24121

look here I have had the same Problem,witch Terminal-svn from xfce

That issue are only with X run without X , no problems

Have you tried to turn it off and on again?

#8 2006-08-19 13:38:06

oliv

I'm not sure but I recall having this issue with a normal console (vc/1). The upgrade killed the session (like exit command).

I've just installed Arch64 and I'm experiencing the same issue two times.

Every time it break pacman database and leaves no log about the upgrading process.

I still can"t find the issue. when I do pacman -Rsc faulting_install and the install it again it works.

EDIT: It seems this bug come just once when installing or upgrading kde-common or gnome-common, because it's always triger an pacman database error with kde-common or gnome-common. Should we fill it as a bug ?

#9 2006-08-19 14:25:03

fk

EDIT: It seems this bug come just once when installing or upgrading kde-common or gnome-common, because it's always triger an pacman database error with kde-common or gnome-common. Should we fill it as a bug ?

yes I think we should.

but my english is not the best can you do this nad post the link here, so I can confirm?

Have you tried to turn it off and on again?

#10 2006-08-19 16:00:48

JGC
Developer

Hmm, now I know what's wrong on your system.

Terminal uses a dbus session bus. Both kde-common and gnome-common update files in the dbus session configuration, which causes dbus to segfault. This is a bug I hate in dbus and should get fixed before updating to gnome 2.16. (I can't start new epiphany from my gnome panel now due to it, stupid dbus update).

When dbus segfaults, two things can happen: your program will crash immediately as terminal does, or crash whenever it wants to do the next DBUS operation, which epiphany does on exit, it tries to close a dbus connection to a dead server.

I hope to get this thingy fixed with dbus 0.92.

#11 2006-08-19 17:40:14

Pavel Jackoff

thanks!
at least we now know what's causing this, feels much better. smile

when do you think dbus 0.92 will get into current or testing?

#12 2006-08-19 20:21:35

JGC
Developer

We have the expat 2.0 mess now, after that, we'll have the dbus 0.9x mess which is even bigger:
- dbus bumps .so to .so.3 instead of .so.2 -> recompile every app that depends on it or links to it (damn!)
- bindings are split up, investigate which software needs which bindings
- API breaks a little bit, have to patch all calls to the renamed functions from all software that uses it
- QT bindings are gone, have to patch up KDE to wrap raw dbus itself (fedora has a patch).

Board footer