You are not logged in.

#1 2019-09-09 18:06:20

klapauzius

qemu-ga.service running on Arch-VM QEMU/KVM - but no clipboard sharing

Can't copy and paste in neither direction (host-guest nor guest-host).

Host setup

uname -a
------ 4.19.71-1-lts #1 SMP Fri Sep 6 ------ 2019 x86_64 GNU/Linux
pacman -Q virt-manager qemu qemu-arch-extra spice spice-gtk spice-protocol libvirt 
virt-manager 2.2.0-2
qemu 4.1.0-1
qemu-arch-extra 4.1.0-1
spice 0.14.2-1
spice-gtk 0.37-1
spice-protocol 0.14.0-1
libvirt 5.5.0-1

Guest setup

uname -a
------ 5.2.13-arch1-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Sep 6 ------ 2019 x86_64 GNU/Linux
pacman -Q qemu-guest-agent spice-vdagent spice-protocol xf86-video-qxl
qemu-guest-agent 4.1.01
spice-vdagent 0.19.0-1
spice-protocol 0.14.0-1
xf86-video-qxl 0.1.5-7

On the guest
1) qemu-ga.service is enabled, loaded and running
2) spice-vdagentd.socket is loaded and listening
3) spice-vdagentd.service can not be enabled (no installation config), but is has been started manually by me, is loaded and running
4) the guest agent socket exists

ls -al /run/spice-vdagentd/spice-vdagent-sock
srw-rw-rw- 1 root root 0 11 Sep 11:02 /run/spice-vdagentd/spice-vdagent-sock

libvirt/virsh/virt-manager settings stored in /etc/libvirt/qemu/archvm.xml
5) at the moment I'm using virtio-video, because qxl-video keeps on crashing the guest a few seconds after Xserver/LightDM has started
6) display spice ist set to <listen type="none"/>, otherwise qemu-system-x86_64 says "SPICE GL support is local-only for now and incompatible with -spice port/tls-port"
7) settings of virtio-video and qxl-video look like follows, respectively, without using the later because as said before qxl crashes the guest

<video>
  <model type="virtio" heads="1" primary="yes">
    <acceleration accel3d="yes"/>
  </model>
  <address type="pci" domain="0x0000" bus="0x00" slot="0x01" function="0x0"/>
</video>
<video>
  <model type="qxl" ram="131072" vram="131072" vgamem="131072" heads="1" primary="yes"/>
  <address type="pci" domain="0x0000" bus="0x00" slot="0x01" function="0x0"/>
</video>

8) settings of channel qemu-ga and channel spice display look as follows

<channel type="unix">
  <source mode="bind" path="/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/channel/target/domain-24-archvm/org.qemu.guest_agent.0"/>
  <target type="virtio" name="org.qemu.guest_agent.0" state="connected"/>
  <alias name="channel0"/>
  <address type="virtio-serial" controller="0" bus="0" port="1"/>
</channel>
<channel type="spicevmc">
  <target type="virtio" name="com.redhat.spice.0" state="disconnected"/>
  <alias name="channel1"/>
  <address type="virtio-serial" controller="0" bus="0" port="2"/>
</channel>

On the host
9) the guest agent socket exists

ls -al /var/lib/libvirt/qemu/channel/target/domain-24-archvm
srwxrwxr-x 1 nobody kvm    0 11. Sep 08:33 org.qemu.guest_agent.0

10) tail/less/nano /var/log/libvirst/qemu/archvm.log hasn't been helpful so far

What am I missing? I'm happy to provide logs, if someone is able to suggest where to look.

Just in case... of course I've read https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/QEMU.

Last edited by klapauzius (2019-09-11 09:12:04)

#2 2019-09-09 18:49:27

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: qemu-ga.service running on Arch-VM QEMU/KVM - but no clipboard sharing

Please edit your thread title to actually describe your issue: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … ow_to_post

Moving to NC...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2019-09-11 05:54:40

klapauzius

@jasonwryan: I edited the thread title to be more precise and added some infos which might be relevant. However, I believe the topic does not belong in the Newbie Corner. QEMU/KVM isn't trivial at all. In my humble opinion, the topic QEMU/KVM would even deserve its own forum category because of it's complexity. There ought to be members in the arch community who are interested in QEMU/KVM. Otherwise it would be a pity if QEMU-KVM gets orphaned in the arch context. As fas as I can tell, the qxl-driver is broken and the arch-wiki is outdated when it comes to the spice-vdagentd.service.

#4 2019-09-11 06:01:18

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

The thread was moved here because of a) the title, and b) the lack of detail. At least the title is now more likely to attract knowledgeable people.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#5 2019-09-11 06:03:24

klapauzius

Alright.

#6 2019-09-11 07:31:00

klapauzius

As Superuser

virsh qemu-agent-command archvm '{"execute":"guest-info"}'

gives me

{"return":{"version":"4.1.0","supported_commands":[{"enabled":true,"name":"guest-get-osinfo","success-response":true},{"enabled":true,"name":"guest-get-timezone","success-response":true},{"enabled":true,"name":"guest-get-users","success-response":true},{"enabled":true,"name":"guest-get-host-name","success-response":true},{"enabled":true,"name":"guest-exec","success-response":true},{"enabled":true,"name":"guest-exec-status","success-response":true},{"enabled":true,"name":"guest-get-memory-block-info","success-response":true},{"enabled":true,"name":"guest-set-memory-blocks","success-response":true},{"enabled":true,"name":"guest-get-memory-blocks","success-response":true},{"enabled":true,"name":"guest-set-user-password","success-response":true},{"enabled":true,"name":"guest-get-fsinfo","success-response":true},{"enabled":true,"name":"guest-set-vcpus","success-response":true},{"enabled":true,"name":"guest-get-vcpus","success-response":true},{"enabled":true,"name":"guest-network-get-interfaces","success-response":true},{"enabled":true,"name":"guest-suspend-hybrid","success-response":false},{"enabled":true,"name":"guest-suspend-ram","success-response":false},{"enabled":true,"name":"guest-suspend-disk","success-response":false},{"enabled":true,"name":"guest-fstrim","success-response":true},{"enabled":true,"name":"guest-fsfreeze-thaw","success-response":true},{"enabled":true,"name":"guest-fsfreeze-freeze-list","success-response":true},{"enabled":true,"name":"guest-fsfreeze-freeze","success-response":true},{"enabled":true,"name":"guest-fsfreeze-status","success-response":true},{"enabled":true,"name":"guest-file-flush","success-response":true},{"enabled":true,"name":"guest-file-seek","success-response":true},{"enabled":true,"name":"guest-file-write","success-response":true},{"enabled":true,"name":"guest-file-read","success-response":true},{"enabled":true,"name":"guest-file-close","success-response":true},{"enabled":true,"name":"guest-file-open","success-response":true},{"enabled":true,"name":"guest-shutdown","success-response":false},{"enabled":true,"name":"guest-info","success-response":true},{"enabled":true,"name":"guest-set-time","success-response":true},{"enabled":true,"name":"guest-get-time","success-response":true},{"enabled":true,"name":"guest-ping","success-response":true},{"enabled":true,"name":"guest-sync","success-response":true},{"enabled":true,"name":"guest-sync-delimited","success-response":true}]}}

but not as the normal user who is member of the group libvirt, then it says

Error: retrieval of domain 'archvm' failed

/usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64 is running as nobody ps tells me.

Last edited by klapauzius (2019-09-11 07:44:14)

#7 2019-10-03 13:37:48

klapauzius

The spice-vdagent of my debian-based guest works seamlessly with my arch host. That guest uses the qxl-video-driver, so I assume, the qxl-video-driver is essential for copy-paste to work. Which is astonishing since it's a video driver. ?!?

In case I get the qxl-driver to work without crashing my arch-guest, I'm going to report here how, And in that case I'm going to mark the topic as solved. Give me a couple of days.

#8 2019-10-09 19:17:11

lula

Can you please try the qxl git driver as described in https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=249778 and give some feedback?

Thanks

Board footer