You are not logged in.

#1 2019-10-13 08:55:48

biolinguist
Website

MSI- GE 75 Raider GNU/Linux support

Hey All!

I'm in the market for a high-end laptop with a powerful GPU for my lab, and I have been looking at the MSI GE-75 Raider and the Eurocom Sky X7C, both of which sport the RTX 2080. Eurocom pre-installs GNU/Linux if you ask them to, but unfortunately the X7C is based on the Clevo P775TM1-G, which is a little hefty. It's roughly the same dimensions as the Area - 51M. While I don't care about weight to the extent that it would be a deal-breaker, it would still be nice to have a lighter, more portable, laptop.

I am wondering if anyone here has any personal experience with the GE-75 Raider, or any of MSI's other gaming laptops, and if so how compatible are they with GNU/Linux. To be precise, I get that GNU/Linux will run on almost everything, and I am not too worried about Nvidia GPUs these days. But I am worried about BIOS/EFI lockdowns that prevent installations. I have heard quite a few bad stories about MSI BIOS, and I was hoping someone could either verify or rectify my fears...

If someone has some other ideas for a RTX 2080 (non-MQ) laptops, I am all ears too. No desktop suggestions, please, though. It absolutely has to be a laptop. I need to be able to carry it with me to my lab, graduate seminars that I teach and use it at home as well.

Many thanks in advance!

"The intellectual tradition is one of servility to power. If I didn't betray it, I would be ashamed of myself."
  -- Noam Chomsky --
"It’s a simple addition – a ‘stretched DC-8 mutation’ [...] Chomsky’s hereditarian position in this instance makes sense and, more to the point, interesting sense."
  --- Richard Dawkins (Brief Candle in the Dark; pgs. 383-4)  ---

Board footer