You are not logged in.

#1 2006-08-20 16:07:25

Jack B
Website

alsaconf - not found (real newbie) [solved]

I  have a feeling i've missed something obvious here but here goes...
the IBM Thinkpad 600E wiki page says run alsaconf, but when I type that in I get "bash: alsaconf: command not found", even as root
I have the alsa pakages installed

Also, it says it will write a new /etc/modprobe.conf, but I remeber seeing somthing about mkinitcpio needing a blank modprobe.conf. does this matter? should i find somewhere else for the configuration rules that get generated?

help and patience appreciated
Jack

#2 2006-08-20 16:17:37

Gullible Jones

Re: alsaconf - not found (real newbie) [solved]

You are missing something... do pacman -S alsa-utils.

Having stuff in modprobe.conf doesn't matter to initcpio, AFAIK. On the other hand, alsaconf shouldn't really be needed... If you've only got one sound card, udev will take care of everything, and you just have to set the volumes with alsamixer.

#3 2006-08-20 16:25:13

Jack B
Website

Thanks, has alsa-lib but not alsa -utils *bangs head on desk*
udev misdetects the card i think? no sound at the moment anyway, i've just installed arch and am working my way  through the wiki page for this model.
jack

#4 2006-08-20 22:09:46

firedance

Jack B wrote:

Thanks, has alsa-lib but not alsa -utils *bangs head on desk*
udev misdetects the card i think? no sound at the moment anyway, i've just installed arch and am working my way  through the wiki page for this model.
jack

remember to run alsamixer and unmute sound by pressing M at master and PCM, you would also want to increase the volume (so it says 00 at the bottom and not MM)

Board footer