You are not logged in.

#1 2019-10-11 21:24:39

nadpher
Member
Registered: 2019-10-09
Posts: 10

Slow internet connection

Hi, i have a problem where i have unusually slow internet connection on linux (this problem doesn't happen on windows). I've already tried disabling ivp6, blacklisting conflicting modules and installed updated modules for the network adapter.
Here is the output for journalctl -b: http://ix.io/1YmB
Here is the output for

iw dev wlp0s20f0u8 link

:

Connected to bc:cf:4f:2b:61:64 (on wlp0s20f0u8)
        SSID: Home&Life SuperWiFi-6164
        freq: 2437
        RX: 3517853 bytes (4386 packets)
        TX: 452738 bytes (2134 packets)
        signal: -62 dBm
        rx bitrate: 65.0 MBit/s MCS 7
        tx bitrate: 72.2 MBit/s MCS 7 short GI

        bss flags:      short-slot-time
        dtim period:    1
        beacon int:     100

lsusb output:

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0bda:8178 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8192CU 802.11n WLAN Adapter
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 1d57:af10 Xenta MOUSE
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 1532:022a Razer USA, Ltd Razer Cynosa Chroma
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 1058:1110 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. My Book Essential (WDBAAF), My Book for Mac (WDBAAG)
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

I'd appreciate some help

Offline

#2 2019-10-12 10:50:15

sabroad
Member
Registered: 2015-05-24
Posts: 54

Re: Slow internet connection

What sort of slow speed?

What's the output of ping and/or tracepath?

Do you dual boot with Windows? How are speeds when replugging the USB network adapter?

Last edited by sabroad (2019-10-12 11:02:51)


--
saint_abroad

Offline

#3 2019-10-12 12:35:56

nadpher
Member
Registered: 2019-10-09
Posts: 10

Re: Slow internet connection

sabroad wrote:

What sort of slow speed?

What's the output of ping and/or tracepath?

Do you dual boot with Windows? How are speeds when replugging the USB network adapter?

The highest i get is 0.6Mbps download and 15mbps in upload (which is normal speed), meanwhile i get 15Mbps on both on windows.
Yes i dual boot with windows
The speed doesn't change if i replug the usb adapter

Ping output:

ping 8.8.8.8 -c 5
PING 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=1 ttl=53 time=19.8 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=2 ttl=53 time=19.9 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=3 ttl=53 time=23.1 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=4 ttl=53 time=20.8 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=5 ttl=53 time=20.2 ms

--- 8.8.8.8 ping statistics ---
5 packets transmitted, 5 received, 0% packet loss, time 4006ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 19.750/20.739/23.066/1.214 ms

Offline

#4 2019-10-12 14:55:12

seth
Member
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 12,690

Re: Slow internet connection

The asymmetrie is odd. To rule out stupid stuff in your browser or disk I/O, please try

wget -O /dev/null http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test

Other than that:
https://community.hpe.com/t5/Networking … -p/6909407
Check "ip a" for the NICs mtu

Offline

#5 2019-10-12 16:40:33

nadpher
Member
Registered: 2019-10-09
Posts: 10

Re: Slow internet connection

seth wrote:

The asymmetrie is odd. To rule out stupid stuff in your browser or disk I/O, please try

wget -O /dev/null http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test

Other than that:
https://community.hpe.com/t5/Networking … -p/6909407
Check "ip a" for the NICs mtu

i did "ip a" and this is the output:

wlp0s20f0u8: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state UP group default qlen 1000
    link/ether a4:2b:b0:bf:63:c0 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    inet 192.168.1.227/24 brd 192.168.1.255 scope global dynamic noprefixroute wlp0s20f0u8
       valid_lft 84801sec preferred_lft 74001sec
    inet6 fe80::a62b:b0ff:febf:63c0/64 scope link 
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever

when i try to ping with "ping -s 8972 -M do 8.8.8.8" i get this error:

ping: local error: message too long, mtu=1500

what does this mean?

Offline

#6 2019-10-12 20:21:11

seth
Member
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 12,690

Re: Slow internet connection

Your MTU is at the "regular" 1500 (which is also why you can't send oversized ping packages) - did you conduct the wget speedtest (it will download that file into the nirvana)

Offline

#7 2019-10-12 20:29:50

nadpher
Member
Registered: 2019-10-09
Posts: 10

Re: Slow internet connection

seth wrote:

Your MTU is at the "regular" 1500 (which is also why you can't send oversized ping packages) - did you conduct the wget speedtest (it will download that file into the nirvana)

Yes, i did

Offline

#8 2019-10-13 16:24:05

sabroad
Member
Registered: 2015-05-24
Posts: 54

Re: Slow internet connection

nadpher wrote:

output for journalctl -b: http://ix.io/1YmB

Oct 12 01:18:22 archlinux kernel: rtl8192cu: Loading firmware rtlwifi/rtl8192cufw_TMSC.bin
Oct 12 01:18:22 archlinux kernel: usb 1-8: Direct firmware load for rtlwifi/rtl8192cufw_TMSC.bin failed with error -2
Oct 12 01:18:22 archlinux kernel: usb 1-8: Direct firmware load for rtlwifi/rtl8192cufw.bin failed with error -2
Oct 12 01:18:22 archlinux kernel: rtlwifi: Loading alternative firmware rtlwifi/rtl8192cufw.bin
Oct 12 01:18:22 archlinux kernel: rtlwifi: Selected firmware is not available

Is linux-firmware installed?

pacman -Qs linux-firmware

--
saint_abroad

Offline

#9 2019-10-13 20:13:09

nadpher
Member
Registered: 2019-10-09
Posts: 10

Re: Slow internet connection

sabroad wrote:
nadpher wrote:

output for journalctl -b: http://ix.io/1YmB

Oct 12 01:18:22 archlinux kernel: rtl8192cu: Loading firmware rtlwifi/rtl8192cufw_TMSC.bin
Oct 12 01:18:22 archlinux kernel: usb 1-8: Direct firmware load for rtlwifi/rtl8192cufw_TMSC.bin failed with error -2
Oct 12 01:18:22 archlinux kernel: usb 1-8: Direct firmware load for rtlwifi/rtl8192cufw.bin failed with error -2
Oct 12 01:18:22 archlinux kernel: rtlwifi: Loading alternative firmware rtlwifi/rtl8192cufw.bin
Oct 12 01:18:22 archlinux kernel: rtlwifi: Selected firmware is not available

Is linux-firmware installed?

pacman -Qs linux-firmware

It is not, but i'm installing it right now
Edit: i have installed the linux-firmware package but the speed didn't change at all, and yes i rebooted

Last edited by nadpher (2019-10-13 20:48:07)

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB