You are not logged in.

#1 2019-10-15 15:23:44

castleholder

[Solved] Xorg broken and wired interface not appearing after reboot

I recently rebooted after a long while -- likely many package updates -- and am running into several issues. The system was working perfectly fine before the reboot.

First, my X server will no longer start, and I am directed to a set of logs that show the error:

"Cannot run in framebuffer mode. Please specify busIDs for all framebuffer devices"

Second, I cannot connect to the network. The ethernet card is detected when running "lspci", but the wired interface itself is not present when using "ip link show" or "ifconfig" (only the loopback interface is shown).

Since this issue appeared after rebooting I assume it has something to do with pacman updates, but given the time window involved  (a month or so) between reboots it is difficult for me to pin down exactly which updates/changes would have caused these issues.

Also: I've checked the network using the live USB and it works in that environment -- so the hardware is fine.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by castleholder (2019-10-15 17:07:36)

#2 2019-10-15 17:03:49

castleholder

Re: [Solved] Xorg broken and wired interface not appearing after reboot

After some playing around I traced part of the issue to the kernel images not being updated in the bootloader. After fixing this the issue with Xorg is resolved, but the issue with the network interface remains.

#3 2019-10-15 17:07:15

castleholder

Re: [Solved] Xorg broken and wired interface not appearing after reboot

And I've solved the other issue -- the ethernet card driver wasn't being loaded. Just a simple modprobe and all is well. I couldn't see this before b/c lots of other modules weren't loaded  b/c of the kernel version mismatch.

Sorry for wasting forum space -- I'll leave the post up in case it is useful to anyone else in the future.

Board footer