You are not logged in.

#1 2019-10-16 06:14:30

STUART
Website

TF2 breaking on launch

I'm running Steam on GNOME with the AMDGPU driver, and when I launch TF2, it stops acknowledging clicks, and all keyboard input stops.However, audio plays correctly, and, about 50% of the time, the game's UI will still render and animate normally (the other 50% of the time, the screen freezes on the loading screen).

If I press Ctrl+Alt+F2 and log into ptty2, running `gnome-shell --replace` fails after a while with an X server error (even when specifying DISPLAY). Running `pkill hl2_linux` only causes the audio to stop and the screen to freeze. Even running `sudo systemctl restart display-manager` only works once or twice before trying to log in just kicks me back to the login screen.

The one way I found to work around this issue is to start the game with `-safe` in the launch options (so the game loads in a window instead of fullscreen), and then switch to another window between the time when the game window appears and when the game starts loading.

How can I track down the root of this issue?

Last edited by STUART (2019-10-16 18:35:19)

#2 2019-10-16 11:11:28

Lone_Wolf

Re: TF2 breaking on launch

Is gnome running a wayland session or an X session ?

Do things work if you launch fullscreen ?

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2019-10-16 18:34:36

STUART
Website

Re: TF2 breaking on launch

Lone_Wolf wrote:

Is gnome running a wayland session or an X session ?

This behavior manifests whether using X or Wayland.

Lone_Wolf wrote:

Do things work if you launch fullscreen ?

No, though if I launch windowed as described, I can change to fullscreen after.

UPDATE: I posted this to Valve's issue tracker, and this appears to resemble an existing known issue with other games on GNOME.

Last edited by STUART (2019-10-16 20:26:15)

Board footer