You are not logged in.

#1 2019-10-15 05:48:46

Murray_B

Radeon RX5700 is unstable

Hi!

I installed everything (mesa 19.2.1, llvm 9.0,     xf86-video-amdgpu 19.0.1) from the normal repos and X11 is working, but quite unstable. TTY is okay (modesetting), but even X11 (amdgpu) is crashing/freezing often in 2D(today 4 times in 15 minutes)! I  had the feeling 2D is a bit more stable without compositioning effects, but the feeling is gone since today...

I haven't played so much yet, but if I want to freeze my computer for sure, I only need to start "Rise of the Tomb Raider" which uses the Vulkan API. The game should run with even the older cards of AMD. OpenGL seems to be a bit better, no more crashes with it in comparison to 2D desktop.

Any ideas how to stabilize the graphics? Or do we just have to wait for the next driver versions? BTW, I own a Powercolor Radeon RX5700 Red Devil. DRI 2 is no option, Vulkan does not work.

#2 2019-10-15 11:09:26

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: Radeon RX5700 is unstable

An easy thing to try is omitting xf86-video-amdgpu (as that looks like the one stack component not yet properly updated for Navi support, or install the new version from testing), to make xorg use the modesetting driver. FWIW you will want to post a xorg and journal log from a failing boot in [ code ].

Last edited by V1del (2019-10-15 11:11:07)

#3 2019-10-15 16:31:24

Pse

I'm using the amdgpu-pro driver from AUR because of this (Red Devil 5700XT). It won't crash in normal desktop usage, but you won't be able to use Wayland. I didn't try RofTR with it, but Doom appeared to work fine in Vulkan mode.

#4 2019-10-16 04:40:57

Murray_B

Thanks for your help. The amdgpu-pro PKGBUILD (https://aur.archlinux.org/pkgbase/amdgpu-pro-installer/) produces a non working/broken package. I tried modesetting and got a freeze too. I tried the git packages and got freezes too. So I guess the problem is in the kernel and I just have to wait some more kernel versions. It's quite frustrating working on this computer if it crashes all the time. I guess I switch back for my nvidia card which is old and slow but stable. I wait for some newer kernel/mesa/llvm versions and try again my RX5700 in 2-3 months.Sometime time is the best healer, even for non working hardware! ;-)

#5 2019-10-16 11:58:03

loqs

Is there an upstream bug report for your issue on https://bugs.freedesktop.org ?

#6 2019-10-16 16:33:35

Pse

Murray_B wrote:

Thanks for your help. The amdgpu-pro PKGBUILD (https://aur.archlinux.org/pkgbase/amdgpu-pro-installer/) produces a non working/broken package. I tried modesetting and got a freeze too. I tried the git packages and got freezes too. So I guess the problem is in the kernel and I just have to wait some more kernel versions. It's quite frustrating working on this computer if it crashes all the time. I guess I switch back for my nvidia card which is old and slow but stable. I wait for some newer kernel/mesa/llvm versions and try again my RX5700 in 2-3 months.Sometime time is the best healer, even for non working hardware! ;-)

How did you try to build it? I built it with bauerbill and everything went well. It hasn't changed since I built it, so the package must work. I mean, I think that's easier than swapping cards, and you will get to try your card.

#7 2019-10-17 03:20:07

Astilex

So rather than being a good college student and starting a homework assignment that's due in 24 hours, I decided to look into this.

Context: I picked up a XFX RX 5700 XT on sale during the holiday and I've been looking for a reason to jump back into Arch and found out the GPU had some issues.

So it seems there are a few things that work a some that don't (at least not well).

TL;DR
2D Bugged, 3D Great, Vulkan Broken, AMDGPU-PRO mixed bag of nuts, overall culprit seems to be xf86-video-amdgpu: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=111481 | Easy Solution: Use a matured/stable GPU until the issues get ironed out.

First off 2D is bugged out to hell. I got choppy mouse movement and screen tearing no matter what setting I toggled in Kwin(Yes this also Happens in GNOME).{It looks like the culprit is xf86-video-amdgpu | Link Above}

3D(OpenGL) actually works really work well. I almost cried with joy when I saw the lighting effects on my 4K screen.(I can guess this is mesa 19.2 at work)

Vulkan is just plain old broken. Rise of the Tomb Raider, DXVK and Proton locks up either the Display Server or OS as a whole. This might be an issue with vulkan-radeon/RADV.(Not sure, but someone can look into this if they want)

AMDGPU-PRO only helped a bit. It made OpenGL more stable but Vulkan was still broken. It also was also prone to crashing when you opened a new app.

I would like to mention the above link does mention Vulkan and 2D issues. So this might all be just tied into xf86-video-amdgpu but only time will tell.

In the end, the 2D was killing me as I need a smooth workflow to get my programming assignments done. So I re-installed my RX 580 8GB so I can finish the semester with minimal issues. (I would suggest this to anyone who need the stability to get their work done).

Once I am all said and done with this semester and this stuff has not leveled out I will be more than happy to chip in and troubleshoot this. I just wanted to share my findings so people don't find out what I did the hard way.

PS: Please back check any sources and don't take this for gospel. I am just a humble Linux user

Last edited by Astilex (2019-10-17 03:21:49)

#8 2019-10-17 05:15:36

Pse

Astilex wrote:

So rather than being a good college student and starting a homework assignment that's due in 24 hours, I decided to look into this.

Context: I picked up a XFX RX 5700 XT on sale during the holiday and I've been looking for a reason to jump back into Arch and found out the GPU had some issues.

So it seems there are a few things that work a some that don't (at least not well).

TL;DR
2D Bugged, 3D Great, Vulkan Broken, AMDGPU-PRO mixed bag of nuts, overall culprit seems to be xf86-video-amdgpu: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=111481 | Easy Solution: Use a matured/stable GPU until the issues get ironed out.

First off 2D is bugged out to hell. I got choppy mouse movement and screen tearing no matter what setting I toggled in Kwin(Yes this also Happens in GNOME).{It looks like the culprit is xf86-video-amdgpu | Link Above}

3D(OpenGL) actually works really work well. I almost cried with joy when I saw the lighting effects on my 4K screen.(I can guess this is mesa 19.2 at work)

Vulkan is just plain old broken. Rise of the Tomb Raider, DXVK and Proton locks up either the Display Server or OS as a whole. This might be an issue with vulkan-radeon/RADV.(Not sure, but someone can look into this if they want)

AMDGPU-PRO only helped a bit. It made OpenGL more stable but Vulkan was still broken. It also was also prone to crashing when you opened a new app.

I would like to mention the above link does mention Vulkan and 2D issues. So this might all be just tied into xf86-video-amdgpu but only time will tell.

In the end, the 2D was killing me as I need a smooth workflow to get my programming assignments done. So I re-installed my RX 580 8GB so I can finish the semester with minimal issues. (I would suggest this to anyone who need the stability to get their work done).

Once I am all said and done with this semester and this stuff has not leveled out I will be more than happy to chip in and troubleshoot this. I just wanted to share my findings so people don't find out what I did the hard way.

PS: Please back check any sources and don't take this for gospel. I am just a humble Linux user

Unfortunately, I don't think the culprit is xf86-video-amdgpu as the same crashes happen with Wayland or the Xorg modesetting driver.

#9 2019-10-17 16:59:10

Murray_B

Pse wrote:
Murray_B wrote:

How did you try to build it? I built it with bauerbill and everything went well. It hasn't changed since I built it, so the package must work. I mean, I think that's easier than swapping cards, and you will get to try your card.

Hmpf, I tried to install the downloaded source file, because it was the only one which ends with tar.xz - now I understood that I have to install the pkg.tar files...

And as Astilex mentioned, there is an upstream bug and they are working on it.  As long as this bug isn't closed I'll stay with my old card. I have no time for playing and testing.

Board footer