You are not logged in.

#1 2019-10-17 08:29:46

astrionn

[SOLVED]dhcpcd problems during flash media install

Hello there,

I am trying to install arch on a laptop with a flash drive.
I created a bootable USB by downloading the latest arch iso and writing it with dd.

It boots fine and logs me into the root shell.

Now I'm trying to setup a network connection to go on with the installation guide.

'ip link' reveals 3 interfaces:
lo
ens3f1
wls2

wsl2 is an atheros network adapter which I want to use.
'lspci -v' reveals that the kernel driver "ath9k" is loaded for said device.

'ip link set wls2 up' sets it to no-carrier, multicast and up

Establishing a connection with 'wifi-menu' fails.

'systemctl status dhcpcd' reveals the service to be inactive (and that the vendor preset is disabled )

No dhcpcd service is running for wls2 either

'systemctl start dhcpcd' works and acquires a carrier for wls2 but after adding DUID and IAID and setting a physical address the carrier is lost again - in less then a second.

Restarting the dhcpcd service will wait for a carrier forever. Restarting the dhcp@wls2 service fails.

Considering that it is a fresh boot stick I'd assume I couldn't fu already.

What am I missing ?

Thx for reading and sorry for the bad formatting, I'm on mobile atm

Edit: I had a missing wpa_supplicant config

Last edited by astrionn (2019-11-10 21:43:53)

#2 2019-10-17 10:49:41

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: [SOLVED]dhcpcd problems during flash media install

Welcome to the boards

astrionn wrote:

Establishing a connection with 'wifi-menu' fails.

That's not an error message, what is actually failing? If it doesn't provide you any relevant error message, follow the manual connection steps outlined in the relevant wiki page (note that you will want to change to the wpa_supplicant/iwd sections directly if your network is protected with WPA) post actual outputs you are getting (in addition to a dmesg log after connection attempt) (I know this can be hard if the actual issue is that you have no connection, you might want to redirect into a file and post from a system having access...)

In general you might find it easier to do the initial install with a network tethered smartphone if you own one (and don't have a stingy dataplan, in which case you might still do that to post the relevant log and command outputs)

Is the router config alright? Have you ever connected to this network with that laptop (via windows, or other Linux live disc

Board footer