You are not logged in.

#1 2019-10-19 01:37:52

mrboen94

[SOLVED] Lenovo P1 laptop, weird electronic sounding crackling noice

I got my arch up and running a few days ago, been a while since I last used linux now, but the process of getting arch on this laptop was fairly easy. My only issue so far is that there is a weird crackling noice, almost like you could hear on a HDD that was about to fail, but more electronic. Its hard to describe.

I recorded it: https://soundcloud.com/nacl-e/audio-201 … 24/s-g21hT

Anyway, this is not a sound that is very audible, I mostly hear it when I'm in a silent room by myself. But the question is is this harmful to my hardware. I can't hear this sound when I boot into windows, so I think the problem lies with arch somewhere.

I can post the journalctl, but preferably to everyone I might need some help to figure out which parameters I should post with.

But based off the sound and considering not having a single HDD in my computer, It kinda sounds like this is the cpu fan not knowing what to do resulting in coil whine?

EDIT: So I think this actually might be the speakers? In that case this issue might be related to pulse audio. The reason I think it might come from the speakers, even though it doesn't sound like it is that the noice is louder when scrolling in applications and reloading webpages (Kind of like the spike you can see and hear in the soundcloud link). And I've had this issue before on a desktop computer where my speakers made a sound when loading in new graphics as the current going to the speakers were affected by the power going to the GPU somehow. If anyone has any other ideas though, I'll gladly listen, as I am kinda worried about my hardware even though I think everything is fine.

EDIT2: So I'll let this stay unsolved for a while longer to see if anyone knows any other solutions to the problem, for now though, I decreased the volume of the input on the internal microphone and it drastically reduced the noice, so it seems like this is a hardware issue as well as software? Seeing as this noice doesn't happen in windows I think its safe to assume that there is something that is going on here. Bottom line, the input to the microphone is reacting to the added voltage to the CPU, so if you do anything graphical on your P1 computer while the microphone is activated/high volume, it will make a weird sound. I will investigate further and keep you posted, but I have a feeling this actually might be because of the poor hybrid graphics support for this laptop on linux at the moment.

Last edited by mrboen94 (2019-10-19 04:05:52)

- NaCl,  in sodium we live

Board footer