You are not logged in.

#6676 2019-09-29 09:00:51

frankifol

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Hi Everyone!

I'm an old user of Arch because I used it in 2009 2010

Now, after ten years of windows , I'm here again because I want to revive my old Vaio

#6677 2019-10-04 17:57:57

tungol

Hello everyone,

One month ago I installed Arch, then the Awesome WM. Already I've learned more in one month about how Linux works than I did in one year from the previous distros I used. The freedom is amazing too.

There are many unidentified bands in the spectra of stars.
-- Garik Israelian

#6678 2019-10-05 21:54:11

HalosGhost
Forum Moderator
Website

Split out an off-topic post to https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=249692

All the best,

-HG

#6679 2019-10-08 12:20:32

philcos

Hello everyone. I first contacted with linux around 1997. By then I tried many flavours, in particular from Red Hat and Suse Linux. But it was still too early for an user like me without much knowledge, as I had severe configuration problems. There was always some piece of hardware not working at all! To install anything it was a pain... In the meantime I used Windows, then Apple Macs and since a few years ago I only use Linux. Dual boots only with different linux distros now!

I love rolling distros because they're bleeding edge. I tried several different ones. Manjaro did work for me, but I found that Arch + Mate does fly, so I'm sticking to it. Thanks for giving us Arch.

#6680 2019-10-08 17:35:16

justkdng

Hello, everyone!
Been an arch user for some time now, but recently created a forum account.
Hope we can get along.
よろしく

GPG key: 3DEA 6251 3C80 3538 3A24  5A12 E578 6B42 E8E5 D565

#6681 2019-10-10 11:57:25

0kaguya

HELLO everyone

#6682 2019-10-11 08:41:05

Awebb

justkdng wrote:

Hello, everyone!
Been an arch user for some time now, but recently created a forum account.
Hope we can get along.
よろしく

Welcome justkdng!
よろしく

0kaguya wrote:

HELLO everyone

sup, 0kaguya

#6683 2019-10-13 15:13:26

Mr.Lunix

Hello folks,

just a quick intro. Been using Windows for more than 20 years. (do they use linux in Belgium btw ? lol ) Switched to Mint with dualboot to Windows a few years ago. Mint wasn't going fast enough, so I tried Manjaro. A day or 2 ago, learned a few tutorials for Arch (thanks to Ant - Antech Design) and here I am. I will still be using Manjaro on my main rig, but I'm open to learning Arch as well.

I'm not gonna say much, but I will be reading a lot.

Greetings

Last edited by Mr.Lunix (2019-10-15 09:54:27)

#6684 2019-10-17 04:26:52

Rasalom

Hello, 今日は

I've been using Linux since RH-5.2 back late '98.   Tried many distros eventually settling on Gentoo back in 2002.   Used Gentoo almost exclusively for years, but started using Kali Linux when I started training in InfoSec.   Used Kali for some years, but also was using the Pentoo overlay in Gentoo.   A friend of mine is a die hard Arch Linux fan and suggested that I try out BlackArch,   Having a spare laptop, I put Blackarch on it and fell in love.   

The sanity of Arch is a beautiful thing,   Pacman is so nice to work with, and Aur just opens up, pretty much, the world of Linux apps.    The documentation is also second to none.

#6685 2019-10-17 13:59:07

mrboen94

Hello, just got my Arch up and running, Working on getting my optimus-manager to switch correctly, so far so meh. So far it's the only distro I have gotten to work on my machine, tried POP!_OS, but I just couldn't handle the name of it.

So here I am!

- NaCl-e

- NaCl,  in sodium we live

#6686 2019-10-20 15:24:25

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

A friend of mine is a die hard Arch Linux fan and suggested that I try out BlackArch,   Having a spare laptop, I put Blackarch on it and fell in love.

Welcome Rasalom. Note that BlackArch is a project separate from Arch, and if you're looking for support, you should use their own forums. Feel free to otherwise hang around though.

Mods are just community members who have the occasionally necessary option to move threads around and edit posts. -- Trilby

#6687 2019-10-20 17:24:52

Rasalom

Alad wrote:

A friend of mine is a die hard Arch Linux fan and suggested that I try out BlackArch,   Having a spare laptop, I put Blackarch on it and fell in love.

Welcome Rasalom. Note that BlackArch is a project separate from Arch, and if you're looking for support, you should use their own forums. Feel free to otherwise hang around though.

I'm not looking for support wink

Having used Gentoo for nearly two decades, I'm used to fixing problems as they occur.   I made an account to possibly help if I see an issue I'm familiar with.  A small way of "giving back", if you will.

#6688 2019-10-21 02:13:11

rredVZ

Hello Everyone,
Ex-Slackware and forever screen user here. It was pleasant to find screen during the installation of ArchLinux.
I feel i'm going to be an ArchLinux user forever !!.
Cy.

All is in "The Matrix". See Beyond the Obvious.

#6689 2019-10-21 09:11:51

HellionWisp

Hello dear reader,

I've been a Linux user since starting with Suse in 1999 and tussled with several distros over the years, enjoying many of them along the way. Gentoo and Arch  being of particular note. 

Lacking the fortitude to expose myself to life outside the comfort of my mother tongue, I've lived and worked across Britain and Australia and I've settled in what I regard as the sweet spot of the sweet spot in terms of places to live, the Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia.

And from my office view of trees and kangaroos, with skulking snakes, lurking spiders and waiting ticks, I come to you now, digitally, to be with you in spirit.

See you around!

#6690 2019-10-24 08:01:55

alex_n85

Hello! I'm an Arch user for almost 1 year, after 10 years of Ubuntu and 20 years of Windows and I'm enjoying it most of the time. My setup is using Arch + X server + i3 and I love the speed and precision.

See you around!

#6691 2019-10-25 14:26:24

KScottDB
Website

p

#6692 2019-10-25 16:37:40

no_signal

Hello everyone!
I stumbled upon Arch when I was looking for linux distros because I got tired of the not so plesant Windows 10 experience (with all the privacy conserns and what not) and I thought this is a great opportunity to learn something new.

So after reading the installation guide, watched some videos about Arch, configuring i3 and installing some packages here I am posting in the forums. I hope this will be a nice journey learning Arch smile

Last edited by no_signal (2019-10-25 16:38:25)

#6693 2019-10-25 23:25:58

4c757641724368

Hi all

Just wanted to say hi to the community whom have inadvertently helped me through the 'upgrade' to Arch.  Found google as usual to help a lot combined with wiki and youtube for when you just want a 'show me' moment.

I've been using PC's for nearly 30 years now.  Most of those flavours have been under big Bill, but sometimes I found myself friending up to Steve.  Having used Windows 10 on my daily driver for sometime I happened to encounter a video on accessing partitions on a raspberry pi which at the time I was tinkering with.  In the vid I was checking out I thought that chaps desktop is bloomin lovely.
After some googling it was KDE running on a Manjaro backend.

So last June switched to Manjaro and loved every moment.  Having never used or typed a single command in to a CLI it was quite welcoming.  (I loved DOS back in the day).

Of course Manjaro (brilliant distro by all rights) lead me to Arch.  So last week decided to burn my disk and drop in the Arch ISO.  Was fun. . . having no OS and only the Wiki plus other resources to read/watch.  Fast forward three evenings and now have a fully functioning KDE desktop, booming some tunes over btooth to my EP650s whilst I type. 

So far - no compositor issues I had in Manjaro and generally seems pretty darn stable.  I did have one momentary freeze of desktop.  Installed microcode updates and see how that goes.

So point of this post - ?  None really just that you can find just about every issue if you google it or check on the wiki.  Its a great OS (so far) and just wanted to say thanks for past help given to others - which helped me.

Cheers all.

Moderator Edit:  Merged with "The Official Hello Everyone Thread"

Last edited by ewaller (2019-10-26 03:55:59)

#6694 2019-10-28 12:22:13

ar97

Hi everyone,

I have been using Arch for the last two years. This is my first post, have been thinking about X230 for a while now, got one. Have Arch with Coreboot on it now. Feels good to be here. i feel sorry for my old HP. It just sits there now (still has arch on it and might run a media server in the near future).

I'm happy to be here. And I just want to thank this community, for everything.

Last edited by ar97 (2019-10-28 12:23:57)

എല്ലാം അതുതന്നെയോ, അതുതന്നെ എല്ലാം. എല്ലാം അറിഞ്ഞതുകൊണ്ട്  മാത്റം മതിയാകുന്നില്ല.

#6695 2019-10-30 13:18:42

cmhuggins

So, I guess this is the 'place to start'. I've been using Arch for awhile (don't remember just how long), and am intent on learning all I can about Linux in the process. I switched to Linux after I got tired of micros**t, and haven't looked back, the only exception being games (can't seem to get wine to work nicely). After spending time distro hopping between Ubuntu and it's derivatives, Manjaro, POP!_OS (for a small time), among others, I finally settled on Arch, loving how much of the system was up to me to configure. In my time with Arch, I've learned enough to muck up my system, but not quite enough to fix it properly big_smile. I've enjoyed breaking my system to re-installation (has happened WAAAY too many times to count), and further enjoy the thrill of trying/finding new ways to configure the base OS and software. Glad to be here, hopefully it'll be for awhile smile

Broke my system today.
It was the best feeling I've had recently!

#6696 2019-10-31 00:17:01

Anirath
Website

Hello everyone! I'm new to Arch as of today, and am currently delving into the documentation before I spin up my first install. I'm no stranger to Linux, but I've only heard about Arch for awhile now. I want to check out what all the fuss is about. So far in my research I am impressed, and eager to get started! It seems there is a strong emphasis on community with Arch, and I'm also excited to start actively engaging in the community, and maybe even contributing to the project overall.

#6697 2019-10-31 02:22:28

yagoCL

Hello all!

I was defeated on the art of Archlinux Wizardry, so here I am to find some help around.
Go Arch! Hope we can all be friends smile

#6698 2019-10-31 04:42:26

nik92

Hi All,

I am turning to arch linux as a platform for my research workstation. I want to take control of the kernel to monitor my network traffic and for tutoring a course.
My research requires a few specialized astrophysics software like ds9, iraf/pyraf suite, zogy, SExtractor, and so on. But most of them are built for linux and can be 'made' from scratch.
This has been a project I have been mulling over for a long time and I want to custom make my linux, build my own little space that I may take to the internet one day.

I have been trying to install arch since today and its been so much fun. Especially the part where I could not get the ethernet working and wanted to post for help, but I had no internet.
Entering the verification key 5 times manually on my phone was the bit where I gave up and went back to ubuntu (temporarily):p

Love the vibe of the community!

PS: I thought I was smart, and then I became smart enough to know, I know nothing! So I learnt some more to feel smart again.
But I went some more, and again I learnt that all I know was still nothing.
But the one thing i found was things need time. so I'll be sticking around wink

#6699 2019-10-31 06:39:47

tydynrain
Website

I love checking in on this thread to see all the new Arch users, read about the experiences that brought them here, and share in their excitement at diving into the deep and refreshing Arch ocean. I send very warm welcomes to you all. I very much hope that your experiences with Arch Linux are as fun and fulfilling as they have been for me.

Registered Linux User: #623501 | Arch Linux Principles: Simplicity - Modernity - Pragmatism - User Centrality - Versatility => KISS
Arch Linux, the most exciting thing since Linus created Linux and married it with GNU/GPL.
Arch Linux for Life, Arch Linux Forever!

#6700 2019-11-03 18:44:41

Scttpr

Hi all,

I'm a newly Arch Linux user. I managed to install it yesterday and I'm glad to make my first steps on it !

For the story, I wanted to fully switch to linux for some years now (I'm from the famous Windows/Ubuntu dual boot). Finally my boss told me : "If you want a challenge and build your own playground, boot Arch Linux, you'll learn and enjoy". So I'm here now big_smile

The installation was nice but I have still some issues with graphical interface. Anyway I have my zsh spaceship-prompt to save me anytime now (hope so) tongue

Have a nice evening all !

Board footer