You are not logged in.

#1 2019-10-21 13:28:38

HellionWisp
Member
Registered: 2019-10-21
Posts: 2

The aged FluxBB

With FluxBB 1.5.11 being over 10 months old and the promised release of 1.6 being 10 months old, it would appear Franz is a bit over it all.

Do we foresee a re-platforming of bbs.archlinux.org in the tea leaves?

Offline

#2 2019-10-21 13:56:13

schard
Member
From: Hannover
Registered: 2016-05-06
Posts: 1,123
Website

Re: The aged FluxBB

Old does not mean bad.
Does it currently have any major security issues?
Does it lack any basic features?
If not, I don't see a reason for the admins to change the forum software.

Online

#3 2019-10-21 13:57:38

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Registered: 2011-11-29
Posts: 25,180

Re: The aged FluxBB

Yes.  There is ongoing discussion about what the replacement will be.


"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Offline

#4 2019-10-21 13:58:32

Scimmia
Bug Wrangler
Registered: 2012-09-01
Posts: 8,415

Re: The aged FluxBB

Oh no, 10 months? How will we ever survive!

Seriously, if the complaint here is just that there hasn't been a release in 10 months, this should just be ignored.

Last edited by Scimmia (2019-10-21 13:59:32)

Offline

#5 2019-10-21 15:04:44

a821
Member
Registered: 2012-10-31
Posts: 240

Re: The aged FluxBB

Scimmia wrote:

Oh no, 10 months? How will we ever survive!

Seriously, if the complaint here is just that there hasn't been a release in 10 months, this should just be ignored.

fluxBB wrote:

Project update (posted on 2018-12-31)

As you know, this is the first release in a long time. I have decided to continue giving FluxBB the maintenance it deserves. However, I need support to achieve this. Before I announce all of my plans, as a token of goodwill and to regain some trust, I plan to release the long-awaited v1.6 within the next few weeks.

The concern is that the developer of fluxBB promised a new release in the next weeks, 10 months ago, which could be interpreted as that the project is not actively maintained... so I guess OP has a point.

Source: https://fluxbb.org/ (emphasis mine)

Edit: FWIW, the last commit was 9th of Sept, so I guess it is still (somehow) maintained...

Last edited by a821 (2019-10-21 15:13:13)

Offline

#6 2019-11-21 11:37:12

CarpCharacin
Member
From: Salt Lake City
Registered: 2016-12-22
Posts: 16
Website

Re: The aged FluxBB

Trilby wrote:

Yes.  There is ongoing discussion about what the replacement will be.

I hope that all the posts from the current forum would be imported into Discourse, if they do switch to Discourse.

Offline

#7 2020-11-17 12:47:34

tporg
Member
Registered: 2019-11-26
Posts: 2

Re: The aged FluxBB

I am not sure where the discussions are now about the forum, but I didn't see OpenProject's Forum mentioned on the mailing lists. Anything but discourse which has a Facebook tracker on every page please!

Last edited by tporg (2020-11-17 12:47:56)

Offline

#8 2020-11-17 12:59:38

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Registered: 2011-11-29
Posts: 25,180

Re: The aged FluxBB

tporg, I've not really followed it - but from what I can tell talk of changing the forum software has, at best, stalled, or possibly been abandonned entirely.  But quite a few have been very outspoken against discourse, so I don't imagine that could ever happen.  Or if it did happen through some dictatorial choice by those who run the server, I suspect it would cause sufficient backlash that a fair portion of the community might start a new forum elsewhere (which would be bad for everyone in the end).

If you do want OpenProject's Forum to be considered, you'd have better luck suggesting it on the mailing list.  When you do, it would be good to include a list of it's strengths and weaknesses, particularly with respect to how it meets the various criteria suggested in the mailing list discussions.


"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Offline

#9 2020-11-17 13:36:10

tporg
Member
Registered: 2019-11-26
Posts: 2

Re: The aged FluxBB

I will definitely do that Trilby. Appreciate the advice.

Offline

#10 2020-11-17 15:04:18

nomorewindows
Member
Registered: 2010-04-03
Posts: 3,286

Re: The aged FluxBB

There was invision forum also.  Seems to be ok.


I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

Offline

#11 2020-11-17 15:11:34

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Registered: 2011-11-29
Posts: 25,180

Re: The aged FluxBB

Invision?  That definitely isn't the one that turned up in my web search for that name.  That is not free, not open source, and slow and bloated as hell.


"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Offline

#12 2020-11-17 15:19:14

GaKu999
Member
From: US/Eastern
Registered: 2020-06-21
Posts: 641

Re: The aged FluxBB

FluxBB is not THAT old and it does the job. Of course, in the long term one wants to use software with support, but we are not there yet...

Tho I wonder what happened, it just blop, no more commits, every PR is going to stay there forevar, no successor, no announcement, nothing...

Last edited by GaKu999 (2020-11-17 15:20:58)


My reposSome snippets

Heisenberg might have been here.

Offline

#13 2021-02-13 19:52:06

HarleyPerson
Banned
Registered: 2021-02-13
Posts: 12

Re: The aged FluxBB

GaKu999 wrote:

FluxBB is not THAT old and it does the job. Of course, in the long term one wants to use software with support, but we are not there yet...

Tho I wonder what happened, it just blop, no more commits, every PR is going to stay there forevar, no successor, no announcement, nothing...

I mean it still doesn't do what every rich(er) text editor does - ctrl + b bolds the selected word or just enabled bold. Same with italics and underline. I mean it's 2021...

Offline

#14 2021-02-13 20:14:03

jasonwryan
Anarchist
From: .nz
Registered: 2009-05-09
Posts: 29,259
Website

Re: The aged FluxBB

HarleyPerson wrote:
GaKu999 wrote:

FluxBB is not THAT old and it does the job. Of course, in the long term one wants to use software with support, but we are not there yet...

Tho I wonder what happened, it just blop, no more commits, every PR is going to stay there forevar, no successor, no announcement, nothing...

I mean it still doesn't do what every rich(er) text editor does - ctrl + b bolds the selected word or just enabled bold. Same with italics and underline. I mean it's 2021...

Most archers just use a text editor: I am sure they can cope manually inserting markup.


Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Offline

#15 2021-02-13 23:15:31

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Registered: 2011-11-29
Posts: 25,180

Re: The aged FluxBB

jasonwryan wrote:

I am sure they can cope manually inserting markup.

Indeed, I much prefer it.  Editors with all the Ctrl-Whatever formating always piss me off as it's never clear as you edit wheter you need to (re/de)activate bold or some other format as you edit a formatted bit of text.  If you want to insert text after a bold word, you move the cursor there, type, the figure out what it gives you, then highlight and change all the formating as needed.  That's a load of crap.

That said, having a more more complete markup language would be great (e.g., there are loads of light markdown parsers that can be used in a forum.)


"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Offline

#16 2021-02-14 09:33:25

nl6720
Wiki Admin
Registered: 2016-07-02
Posts: 288

Re: The aged FluxBB

Just for reference, the current discussion about a replacement is at https://gitlab.archlinux.org/archlinux/ … issues/257 .

Offline

#17 2021-02-15 00:56:12

eschwartz
Trusted User/Bug Wrangler
Registered: 2014-08-08
Posts: 3,995

Re: The aged FluxBB

Trilby wrote:
jasonwryan wrote:

I am sure they can cope manually inserting markup.

Indeed, I much prefer it.  Editors with all the Ctrl-Whatever formating always piss me off as it's never clear as you edit wheter you need to (re/de)activate bold or some other format as you edit a formatted bit of text.  If you want to insert text after a bold word, you move the cursor there, type, the figure out what it gives you, then highlight and change all the formating as needed.  That's a load of crap.

There is actually one forum I used with a CTRL+whatever formatting editor... using the CTRL shortcuts OR using the menu formatting buttons would insert markup formatting into the editor box, and nothing else.

It was quite pleasant to use. Since the whole time you still worked with raw markup, you'd learn the bbcode markup as you used it, and it was never, ever confusing where some markup began and ended.


Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

Offline

#18 2021-02-18 13:43:04

glenstewart
Member
Registered: 2021-02-12
Posts: 1

Re: The aged FluxBB

Don't forget those who access the forums via the Android Archforums app.  From my studies, this is one of the best forum apps on the Play Store.

I am posting from it now. :-)

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB