You are not logged in.

#1 2019-10-31 02:54:04

yagoCL

GNOME Wayland showing mouse stuttering issues

Hello people of Arch. Recently I have made the decision of switching to Nouveau from nvidia. This has allowed me to get delicious, smooth, tear-free animations and video playback on my system with Wayland.

Despite vastly superior performance of the Gnome Shell on Wayland, there is a particularly gnarly issue with a specific game: Minecraft

On GNOME Xorg or LXDE, Nouveau is fast enough to play Minecraft at my main monitor's refresh rate (60Hz). In GNOME Wayland, Minecraft claims to run with the same framerate as with Xorg, but the mouse cursor is very sluggish and moving the camera around or moving the player leads to stuttering. The effect is ameliorated by reducing the window size (fullscreen is the laggiest) and turning on the game's Vsync. Both Xwayland and gnome-shell show low CPU usage. The stuttering is not detectable in game debug (fps drops, tps drops, lagometer readings). Because of this, I'm placing this on the Applications & DEs section instead of the Games section. I'm new around the forums, so I don't know if this is acceptable.

The effect is slightly reduced with gnome-shell-performance(AUR) and mutter-performance(AUR). Mutter's rt-scheduler has no effect.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this?
I cannot reproduce the issue on other Wayland environments as Plasma Wayland, Sway and Weston just crash.

Info dump (Read this for technical details): https://bin.privacytools.io/?a51699271e … 4uRASlRRw=

#2 2019-10-31 15:23:22

yagoCL

Re: GNOME Wayland showing mouse stuttering issues

The issue still seems to happen even if I disable the secondary display.

Optifine's Smooth FPS option that "flushes the graphics driver's buffers" helps a bit with preventing the in-game camera from stuttering, but is far from a fix.

I should add that the sluggishness is also present on other applications if Minecraft is open.

To debug this, I enabled layers.acceleration.draw-fps on Firefox and scrolled around some pages. While scrolling, the reported frame rate jumps to around 60 but the actual framerate as seen visually is much lower. Having Minecraft on the main menu aggravates this, as the panorama effect is constantly moving the "camera" around.

My attempts to debug this by running Minecraft with native wayland instead of Xwayland have failed as GLFW's wayland implementation is not yet complete.

Last edited by yagoCL (2019-10-31 15:26:09)

#3 2019-11-01 13:14:14

yagoCL

After getting Sway to run on my machine through installing sway-git(AUR), I confirmed that this is an issue somewhere in the GNOME environment, as the effect does not happen under Xwayland on Sway, but does happen on Xwayland on gnome-shell.

Might have something to do with this: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutter/issues/897

Edit: issue on Mutter's tracker here -> https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutter/issues/902

Last edited by yagoCL (2019-11-01 15:42:43)

#4 2019-11-06 11:17:51

gedgon

It's probably this, well know issue.

Board footer