You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-02 02:42:37

dosferatu

HP Spectre X360 2019 synaptics touchpad

I wanted to get help with packaging the right information for this, because it's been a long time since I've been in the embedded systems world (unfortunately), and I've run in to an interesting issue w/ the synaptics device on this 2019 x360 13" laptop.

Backstory:
- Windows update pushes new synaptics driver, breaks touchpad in Linux
- Reverting Windows synaptics driver to OEM supplied restores functionality in linux
- Windows 10 refuses to not try to autoupdate the synaptics driver, despite group policy / any other setting I've tried, so I play games in airplane mode

I don't see anything that stands out to me in dmesg/journalctl, but that's also because I might just be misinterpreting things.

Anyway, I'd like some guidance as to what info I can package / track down to get some insight in to what's going on with the thing for anyone else that may run in to this.
I appreciate the feedback for anyone that wants to point me in the right direction.

#2 2019-11-02 08:25:57

olive

Re: HP Spectre X360 2019 synaptics touchpad

You are saying that an update in a Windows driver impact the functionality under Linux ?! Have you tried to fully power off the laptop (not reboot) and to disable any fast boot option in Windows before booting Linux? Maybe a firmware remains in the touchpad as long as it is powered. Does the touchpad appear in the output of "xinput --list".

The following page mentions how to block a specific Windows driver: https://www.repairwin.com/prevent-a-spe … indows-10/. but it is probably better to understand why there is a problem under Linux.

Last edited by olive (2019-11-02 08:31:48)

#3 2019-11-02 21:32:46

dosferatu

It seems that depending on the Windows driver installed, whether i reboot or poweroff completely, is a factor
in what the Arch side sees when I run `xinput --list`.

It's seemed that, when using the latest Windows synaptics driver, whatever is causing the device to be recognized by xinput as:
`Synaptics TM3407-002`

is when I experience the touchpad not working. When the older Windows driver is installed and the device is instead detected as:
`SYNA327E:00 06CB:CD4F Touchpad`

Then the behavior is normal.

Some of the symptoms I have observed in this state are the following:
- Clicks on any area of the pad are only recognized as right click
- DWM tiling window manager does not notice the mouse has entered a new window
- USB mouse stops working if I click on the trackpad, otherwise will work fine
- Two finger scrolling on the touchpad stops working if I click on the trackpad, otherwise will work fine
- Touch screen display is unaffected entirely by any of this

Another interesting thing I've noticed, is that when reinstalling the old Windows driver that resolves the linux side,
I have found that booting the linux-lts kernel seems to be necessary in kicking the touchpad back in to working shape again.
This could be something to do w/ the persistence of firmware while powered on you mentioned; I haven't done enough to isolate what the deal is there.

In both scenarios, I'm using latest Arch as of today; `uname -r`: 5.3.8-arch1-1
With Windows driver version: 19.5.35.17

`xinput --list`:
⎡ Virtual core pointer                        id=2    [master pointer  (3)]
⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer                  id=4    [slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ Corsair CORSAIR M65 RGB ELITE Gaming Mouse    id=8    [slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ Corsair CORSAIR M65 RGB ELITE Gaming Mouse Consumer Control    id=9    [slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ ELAN2514:00 04F3:2811                       id=11    [slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ SYNA327E:00 06CB:CD4F Touchpad              id=13    [slave  pointer  (2)]
⎣ Virtual core keyboard                       id=3    [master keyboard (2)]
    ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard                 id=5    [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Video Bus                                   id=6    [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Power Button                                id=7    [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Corsair CORSAIR M65 RGB ELITE Gaming Mouse Keyboard    id=10    [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ ELAN2514:00 04F3:2811                       id=12    [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Intel HID events                            id=14    [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Intel HID 5 button array                    id=15    [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ AT Translated Set 2 keyboard                id=16    [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ HP Wireless hotkeys                         id=17    [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ HP WMI hotkeys                              id=18    [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Corsair CORSAIR M65 RGB ELITE Gaming Mouse Consumer Control    id=19    [slave  keyboard (3)]

With Windows driver version: 19.5.35.46

`xinput --list`:
⎡ Virtual core pointer                        id=2    [master pointer  (3)]
⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer                  id=4    [slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ Corsair CORSAIR M65 RGB ELITE Gaming Mouse    id=8    [slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ Corsair CORSAIR M65 RGB ELITE Gaming Mouse Consumer Control    id=9    [slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ ELAN2514:00 04F3:2811                       id=11    [slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ Synaptics TM3407-002                        id=13    [slave  pointer  (2)]
⎣ Virtual core keyboard                       id=3    [master keyboard (2)]
    ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard                 id=5    [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Video Bus                                   id=6    [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Power Button                                id=7    [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Corsair CORSAIR M65 RGB ELITE Gaming Mouse Keyboard    id=10    [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ ELAN2514:00 04F3:2811                       id=12    [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Intel HID events                            id=14    [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Intel HID 5 button array                    id=15    [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ AT Translated Set 2 keyboard                id=16    [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ HP WMI hotkeys                              id=17    [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ HP Wireless hotkeys                         id=18    [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Corsair CORSAIR M65 RGB ELITE Gaming Mouse Consumer Control    id=19    [slave  keyboard (3)]

#4 2019-11-02 21:36:57

dosferatu

I tried setting group policy in the Windows side per some tech blogs (I don't have a lot of Windows sysadmin skills), as well as tracking down what options I could find to turn off updating devices automatically, all of which Windows has ignored. Thanks for linking to that article though olive; that looks like it has a Microsoft tool I hadn't run across yet. I will give that a shot as well.

It would be nice to get some insight as to whats wrong with this for anyone else that may bump in to the problem, but I would definitely like the Windows side to just leave the touchpad driver alone as well haha.

#5 2021-07-18 16:49:42

soybeanio

We had a very similar situation (same laptop, same problem also caused by Windows update, but on Ubuntu 20.04) and finally found a solution. If the Windows update installed Synaptics ClickPad and broke the touchpad's functionality in linux, you can reverse it from there. Go to Windows, open the Synaptics ClickPad manager, and select "Disable ClickPad". This allowed the touchpad to work in Ubuntu without problem for us.

Board footer