You are not logged in.

#1 2006-08-21 22:31:02

sud_crow
Website

KDE: Things I miss from Gnome

I have been using KDE for a while now, around 2/3 weeks, and I have found several things I like about it above Gnome, but I'm also missing quite a few, I wanted to list and share them in case someone could point to a solution, or just comment his/her own griefs smile

* GTK apps file menus and other parts look ... bad, real bad (i do have gtk-qt-engine installed, anyway, they don't behave like KDE open file dialogs).

* The integration that allowed Nautilus to burn CDs/DVDs without much hassle.

* Gnome automounted (and detected) cds and usb, KDE for some reason doesn't (although i haven't checked why yet).

* Azureus GUI is kind of broken (no more green-yellow-red faces, they are all grey, even when working)

I'm looking on how to fix the GTK/Qt thing, I think I found a couple of possible solutions, although they are not as easy as i would like, maybe later i will look for the automount issue...

Leonardo Andrés Gallego
www.archlinux-es.org || Comunidad Hispana de Arch Linux

#2 2006-08-21 22:53:53

funkyou
Website

Re: KDE: Things I miss from Gnome

1 - You can not change a GTK file dialog to a KDE file dialog, except for some apps by using this hack: KGTK ... You can also install a widget theme with better GTK support like QTcurve

2 - You can burn CDs in konqueror with this extension. You need to have k3b installed for this.

3 - Do you have the HAL daemon running?

4 - Instead of using Azureus, why not try KTorrent. Its a very fast and good application.

want a modular and tweaked KDE for arch? try kdemod

#3 2006-08-22 02:44:34

sud_crow
Website

Hi, thanks for the reply:

1) I have found something Im checking:
http://developer.kde.org/documentation/ … /main.html

Although it implies patching the programs, it seems something real nice if it works.

2) Thanks for that, i already installed it from AUR, will be trying it later!

3) I didnt, i do now. Still have to check a little how it works, but it seems to be mounting the CDs ok after following the Wiki entry about disabling the optical drives in /etc/fstab

4) I like Azureus features, im very dependant on them and I dont think any other program has them... I have already tryed KTorrent, Transmission, Bittorrent, and a couple others...

Thanks again for your reply.

ps.
* Another thing i miss from Gnome Terminal is the CTRL+(Back-arrow or Forth-arrow), to move beatween words... Konsole just prints a "5D" every time i press them.

Leonardo Andrés Gallego
www.archlinux-es.org || Comunidad Hispana de Arch Linux

#4 2006-08-22 08:10:21

brazzmonkey

1) i use gtk-qt-engine with qtcurve theme and gtk-them-switch. with this combination every program GUI has the same look and feel on my KDE desktop.
3) for automounting to work, you need hal and dbus.

what goes up must come down

Board footer