You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-11 18:48:01

jojomodding

Font ligatures messed up

Hello
in some applications, the font ligatures (ffi, ffl, fi) are messed up and display characters widely different from the ones meant to be displayed:
Example

Note that fi becomes messed, up, too, but only when you select text:
Example selected.

I ran `fc-cache`, it didn't output anything nor did things change.
I mainly use Noto Sans fonts.

What can I do to fix (or disable) ligatures?

Last edited by jojomodding (2019-11-11 18:49:27)

#2 2019-11-11 19:09:56

seth

Re: Font ligatures messed up

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … aced_fonts
Remove the test or widen it to match the family.

No idea about a fix, but I guess "some applications" is relevant here (the highlight thing sounds like a glyph caching issue, that's not fc-cache)

#3 2019-11-11 19:10:49

ewaller
Administrator

What applications?   And how do you type them? 
LaTeX generates them just fine.  I type them in emacs as fi, fl.  Same for digraphs.

What anoys me, is when an pdf reader reners them wrong.  But, if one wants to copy and paste, the behavior you describe actually makes a lot of sense.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#4 2019-11-17 22:58:51

jojomodding

What applications: Notably thunar, but also thunderbird's search box, xfce4-terminal's title bars, and a few other places I don't recall off the top of my head.
How do I type them: I just type 'fi' or any other sequence of chars that have a ligature. The system then renders it the way I showed in the screenshot above.

Notably, this does not happen anywhere else, like in email bodies, firefox, the actual terminal contents, ...

I added the fontconfig section described there, and that fixes the problem, but of course completely disables all ligatures. I'ld be nice if there was a proper solution, not just this bodge. I also actually did not have fontconfig file before.

#5 2019-11-18 07:50:21

seth

Do you mean to say the problem exists in some window titlebars but not in others?? What's your WM?

Board footer