You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-17 19:28:21

MaxStirner

[REQUEST] shockolate-git

Shockolate is a cross platform source port of System Shock, using SDL2.

https://github.com/Interrupt/systemshock

This would for sure be a great addition to the AUR. I'll even maintain the package, if someone could create the PKGBUILD.

Last edited by MaxStirner (2019-11-17 20:15:46)

#2 2019-11-18 22:37:13

loqs

Re: [REQUEST] shockolate-git

Why do you not try making a PKGBUILD for it and ask for help if you get stuck.
Seems to use cmake,  be 32 bit only and possibly lacking an install target.

#3 2020-04-07 16:54:07

hildigerr

I created a PKGBUILD for this. I haven't uploaded anything to the AUR yet, and before I do I wanted to make sure I got it just right.

I had to add a patch with a dirty hack to have the application search for the resource files in the user's home directory under "~/.systemshock" (though usually I would put it somewhere more like "~/.local/share/systemshock"). I was just trying to be consistent with how other similar applications do it (i.e. AlephOne). This functionality should be implemented cleanly and included upstream.

The pkgname is currently "systemshock-git" because the git repository and executable is "systemshock" but I could rebase that to be "shockolate-git".

I'm also not sure if I am referencing the icon's license correctly. I have it as 'CCPL' but it is more specifically CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. I believe the closest thing in the license package is installed at "/usr/share/licenses/common/CCPL/cc-by-nc-nd-3.0.txt"

I was also thinking that I should add a patch which would verify that the resource files are available, and bring up a window with instructions--for people who ignore the post_install message and try running it. As it is, the application crashes if they aren't found. So opening it from the applications menu would seem to do nothing. This should probably be implemented upstream as well.

I got the resources from a cd-rom, so my post_install message details how to copy the resources from that. But if someone has the SS:EE assets from Steam or GOG, details about using them would be good to have too.

In any case, I've pushed it out to https://github.com/hildigerr/systemshock-git

#4 2020-04-07 18:11:14

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

hildigerr wrote:

I was also thinking that I should add a patch which would verify that the resource files are available, and bring up a window with instructions--for people who ignore the post_install message ...

I wouldn't bother.  Attempting to provide instructions to people who have demonstrated that they ignore instructions is futile and a good way to lose one's mind.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2020-05-18 12:59:38

MaxStirner

I’m recently had the time to do things, although I lost interest when the System Shock: Enhanced sedition on Steam came out. I’m happy someone decided to make one though for a more vanilla experience. I’ll upload it if no one else wants too and maintain it.

Last edited by MaxStirner (2020-05-18 13:01:40)

#6 2020-05-18 18:09:21

hildigerr

There is an issue with saving the game that I haven't gotten around to looking into yet.
Since making that PKGBUILD, I've had some more experience and started maintaining a couple other packages--so I could maintain this one too.

Board footer