You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-20 12:18:54

archietux
Member
Registered: 2019-05-25
Posts: 9

[solved] ssh-agent doesn't start automatically

Hello fellow users,

I'd like to use keepassxc to store my ssh keys and passphrases. It seems keepassxc is able to do that and also add the keys to the ssh-agent so I don't have to type in my passphrase every time. However, keepassxc tells me on startup that I have no ssh-agent running.
This seems odd since I have openssh installed and run KDE Plasma so I assumed this should be taken care of automatically. Is this a bug or intended behaviour?
I know there are a few solutions for adding ssh keys to ssh-agent by command line on startup and the like but I'd prefer doing it via keepassxc. I also couldn't find this specific issue via the search function so here I am.
Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by archietux (2019-11-20 17:23:33)

Offline

#2 2019-11-20 14:54:49

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op
From: The intertubes
Registered: 2004-11-07
Posts: 4,097

Re: [solved] ssh-agent doesn't start automatically

First hit for "ssh-agent" on the wiki

After that the ssh-agent integration with keepassxc  should just work™

Last edited by Mr.Elendig (2019-11-20 14:56:15)


Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

Offline

#3 2019-11-20 15:01:27

Zod
Member
From: Hoosiertucky
Registered: 2019-03-10
Posts: 636

Re: [solved] ssh-agent doesn't start automatically

archietux wrote:

This seems odd since I have openssh installed and run KDE Plasma so I assumed this should be taken care of automatically. Is this a bug or intended behaviour?

What facility within KDE Plasma is responsible for starting ssh-agent?

Are there any errors from that facility being logged?

Offline

#4 2019-11-20 15:07:48

V1del
Forum Moderator
Registered: 2012-10-16
Posts: 25,405

Re: [solved] ssh-agent doesn't start automatically

No facility in KDE starts ssh-agent by default. I'm unsure from where the OP infers that.

You can store your keys in KDE's KWallet, that however assumes you to have started an agent somehow beforehand as well: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/KD … assphrases

Last edited by V1del (2019-11-20 15:10:56)

Offline

#5 2019-11-20 17:22:49

archietux
Member
Registered: 2019-05-25
Posts: 9

Re: [solved] ssh-agent doesn't start automatically

Thank you for your suggestions. I inferred from the keepassxc documentation that users running KDE should be set without needing to set anything up. Thus I thought I might have made a mistake somewhere. Apparently that was not the case.
I set up a systemd user service as the wiki describes which now does what I wanted. This created an

sign_and_send_pubkey: signing failed: agent refused operation

error but that is unrelated to the original issue, I think.

Last edited by archietux (2019-11-20 17:24:17)

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB