You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-21 13:59:08

demolitions
Member
Registered: 2015-04-27
Posts: 34

[SOLVED]Stuck at "Reached target Graphical Interface" until TTY switch

Hello,
Not really a newbie on arch, but one here in the forums, so if you think this post belongs somewhere else, feel free to move it.

Context:
New arch installation on an old-ish pc, Intel Core2 Q6600 CPU with an Intel integrated GPU, 8GB RAM, mechanical hard drive.

Problem:
Boot proceeds as it should, until it reaches "Reached target Graphical Interface", and proceeds to dump me on a completely black screen.
It stays there for hours, no matter what I do, except for one thing.
If I switch to another TTY (CTRL + ALT + F2), it instantly switches back to TTY1 (by itself) and starts my DE (xfce4, lxdm is set to autologin my user).

This happens also if I switch TTY as soon as it shows "Reached target Graphical Interface", so it's not a slowness problem.
If I try to connect to it while it's "blacking out", no network services are reachable (not even SSH, which IIRC should not wait for graphical interface).

AFAICT Xorg.0.log does not show any errors: https://pastebin.com/jJ00xfkS

Any thoughts?

Solution:
I've been a bit dense, I forgot to enable haveged.

Last edited by demolitions (2019-11-25 08:55:29)

Offline

#2 2019-11-21 14:17:22

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Registered: 2011-11-29
Posts: 30,526
Website

Re: [SOLVED]Stuck at "Reached target Graphical Interface" until TTY switch

That's with the xf86-video-intel driver, right?  This is known to often cause problems.  Try removing it - X will fall back on the modesetting driver which is generally preferably on intel hardware.


"UNIX is simple and coherent" - Dennis Ritchie; "GNU's Not Unix" - Richard Stallman

Offline

#3 2019-11-21 18:10:05

demolitions
Member
Registered: 2015-04-27
Posts: 34

Re: [SOLVED]Stuck at "Reached target Graphical Interface" until TTY switch

That, unfortunately, did not change anything.

Aside from the fact that now according to Xorg log, it loads the vesa driver big_smile

I tried removing also xf86-video-vesa, to let X load the fbdev driver, but that didn't change anything also.

How do I get X to load the modesetting driver?

Offline

#4 2019-11-21 18:16:38

loqs
Member
Registered: 2014-03-06
Posts: 19,097

Re: [SOLVED]Stuck at "Reached target Graphical Interface" until TTY switch

If you remove all xf86-video-* packages then modesetting should be used.
Edit:
If the issue is still present with modesetting please post the journal for an affected boot.

Last edited by loqs (2019-11-21 18:40:32)

Offline

#5 2019-11-21 19:47:25

latalante1
Member
Registered: 2018-08-30
Posts: 112

Re: [SOLVED]Stuck at "Reached target Graphical Interface" until TTY switch

[     4.730] (II) systemd-logind: logind integration requires -keeptty and -keeptty was not provided, disabling logind integration

You have no problem with the configuration, but with the correct Xorg initialization. How is it done with the help of LXDM?

Offline

#6 2019-11-21 20:42:02

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,171

Re: [SOLVED]Stuck at "Reached target Graphical Interface" until TTY switch

[     4.725] Current Operating System: Linux archlinux 5.2.11-arch1-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Aug 29 08:09:36 UTC 2019 x86_64
…
[     4.725] (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sat Oct 19 16:36:06 2019

The provided log is kinda dated …

Offline

#7 2019-11-22 08:11:20

demolitions
Member
Registered: 2015-04-27
Posts: 34

Re: [SOLVED]Stuck at "Reached target Graphical Interface" until TTY switch

loqs wrote:

If you remove all xf86-video-* packages then modesetting should be used.
Edit:
If the issue is still present with modesetting please post the journal for an affected boot.

The only xf86-video-* packages were intel and vesa, now both are removed.
I take it this means it is now using the modesetting driver (is that "fbdev"?), will post a journal from yesterday's last boot


latalante1 wrote:

You have no problem with the configuration, but with the correct Xorg initialization. How is it done with the help of LXDM?

What do you mean? I have no customized configs in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/, and the only thing I changed from the default LXDM configuration is the row "autologin=$username", here is the full LXDM conf: http://dpaste.com/3JPDYPB


seth wrote:

[...] The provided log is kinda dated …

Yup, the whole machine is kinda dated (even update-wise), it's a print server, so it's never switched off, nor rebooted if not necessary.
However, here comes a fresh log big_smile


While I want to thank everyone for the kind help you're providing me, I cannot reboot the machine remotely, as it won't come up again without someone switching VT, for the same reason I have to plan update times, since if it needs a reboot, I must be in front of it (that's why it's not been updated since early september).
Here are some logs from yesterday's last boot.

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log

http://dpaste.com/13XT7MD


journalctl -b --no-pager --until="2019-11-21 19:11:18"

http://dpaste.com/133AZTN

The journal is not full, but there are only a ton of octoprint's heartbeat entries and a couple of SSH connections by me after what I posted, and what I posted ends after the DE has already started (you can see the dialog asking for the keyring password).
In both logs is clearly shown that I waited a couple of minutes before switching VT (19:07 - 19:10), in that time, the screen was not black, but it showed the boot log up to "[OK] Reached target Graphical Interface". I don't think that's progress, but hey, at least something changed.

Offline

#8 2019-11-22 09:12:15

loqs
Member
Registered: 2014-03-06
Posts: 19,097

Re: [SOLVED]Stuck at "Reached target Graphical Interface" until TTY switch

Nov 21 19:10:20 archlinux kernel: random: crng init done

If instead of CTRL + ALT + F2 you just randomly press keys e.g. keep pressing control does that also work?
If it does trying install and enabling  Haveged.

Offline

#9 2019-11-22 12:17:16

demolitions
Member
Registered: 2015-04-27
Posts: 34

Re: [SOLVED]Stuck at "Reached target Graphical Interface" until TTY switch

haveged was already installed, but somehow I forgot to enable it.
Done it now, I'll be crossing fingers and rebooting later today.

Offline

#10 2019-11-22 12:47:08

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Registered: 2011-11-29
Posts: 30,526
Website

Re: [SOLVED]Stuck at "Reached target Graphical Interface" until TTY switch

demolitions wrote:

I take it this means it is now using the modesetting driver (is that "fbdev"?)

No, modesetting is build into the kernel, fbdev is xf86-video-fbdev.  But it seems video drivers were not likely relevant to this issue.

demolitions wrote:

... I have to plan update times, since if it needs a reboot, I must be in front of it (that's why it's not been updated since early september).

If no one sits at this computer, why do you run X at all, let alone a DE and DM?


"UNIX is simple and coherent" - Dennis Ritchie; "GNU's Not Unix" - Richard Stallman

Offline

#11 2019-11-22 13:51:51

latalante1
Member
Registered: 2018-08-30
Posts: 112

Re: [SOLVED]Stuck at "Reached target Graphical Interface" until TTY switch

arg=/usr/bin/X -background vt1

Because this call prevents Xorg from booting without root privileges with the help of systemd-logind.

Further information dumbfounded me. Print server with Display Manager, Xorg
...
not updated for so long.

Offline

#12 2019-11-22 15:38:45

demolitions
Member
Registered: 2015-04-27
Posts: 34

Re: [SOLVED]Stuck at "Reached target Graphical Interface" until TTY switch

I'll explain a little better.
That PC is connected to a 3d printer, and to a 4.2" touch screen glued to the printer enclosing.
It works both as a print server, as an UI for the printer (that's the reason for DM, DE and chromium), and as a time lapse recorder for the 2 cameras recording the prints.

I am actually "looking at it" almost every day, but with no keyboard and mouse readily reachable, and with such a microscopic screen that any type of debugging is useless and frustrating.
When I say "I must be in front of it", I really mean I need to connect a REAL screen and retrieve its keyboard and mouse from the drawer.
That is a process that also requires me to disconnect the monitor from my "usual" PC, carry it to the printer enclosing and hook it up, temporarily disconnecting the 4.2" touchscreen.
That's something that I also cannot perform while the printer is running (the printer works with the PC feeding it commands), and the prints easily run for 16-20 hours each.

Those are the main reasons why that machine does not reboot in months and does not update in half-years.

It's also not connected directly to the internet, it's behind a completely closed firewall that I partially open only when I need to update, so no actual reason to hurry with the updates.

The printer UI is also the ONLY reason for X, while Chromium (and with it both DE and DM) is simply the fastest way I found to do that when I installed it, I now know that there are better ways to achieve what I have, but this was (and is) merely the simplest way, and fastest also, it took me only 2 hours from "sparse old PC components" to "ready and running print server and UI, with test print going".

I'm almost over with my work day, impatient to go home and try rebooting to see if haveged solves the issue.

Offline

#13 2019-11-25 08:54:00

demolitions
Member
Registered: 2015-04-27
Posts: 34

Re: [SOLVED]Stuck at "Reached target Graphical Interface" until TTY switch

Update (and solution), the issue was actually solved by enabling haveged, since the test advised by loqs (pressing come random keys instead of switching VT) proved to be effective.

Thank you for your help, everyone.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB