You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-25 20:14:40

insciwetrust
Member
Registered: 2019-10-19
Posts: 88

[SOLVED] I can't stop my screen from going blank

This problem arised after the last update. My xfce4-power-manager settings were set to never let the screen go blank and it was working flawlessly, but even though I didn't change the settings, my screen now goes blank after 3-5 minutes of staying idle. What's more annoying is that it happens even when I am watching a video. I tried these commands:

xset -dpms
xset s off

They didn't return any error but the blanking seems not to be affected by them. I have no other power manager besides xfce4's.

Last edited by insciwetrust (2019-11-26 15:11:43)


No gods, no masters!

Offline

#2 2019-11-25 20:52:23

deadite66
Member
Registered: 2015-06-13
Posts: 33

Re: [SOLVED] I can't stop my screen from going blank

have you tried adding 'xset s noblank'

Offline

#3 2019-11-25 21:17:22

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,171

Re: [SOLVED] I can't stop my screen from going blank

"pkill xfce4-power-manager", check "xset q" to ensure dpms is off (also maybe that xfce4-power-manager wasn't restarted) - does the screen still "blank"?

Also: Is this a notebook (ie. do you have a backlight device)?

Offline

#4 2019-11-25 21:58:48

insciwetrust
Member
Registered: 2019-10-19
Posts: 88

Re: [SOLVED] I can't stop my screen from going blank

seth wrote:

"pkill xfce4-power-manager", check "xset q" to ensure dpms is off (also maybe that xfce4-power-manager wasn't restarted) - does the screen still "blank"?

Also: Is this a notebook (ie. do you have a backlight device)?

I did as you told and it doesn't go blank after that. How can I make it permanent, but also be able to use the power manager? It is a desktop computer.


No gods, no masters!

Offline

#5 2019-11-25 22:10:09

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,171

Re: [SOLVED] I can't stop my screen from going blank

The server side auto-dpms setting isn't restricting dpms (eg. try "xset -dpms; xset dpms force off") so what most likely happens is that the xfce-power-manager triggers the DPMS setting itself, ignoring your config - sounds like a bug.
You can block the DPMS extension altogether, but I'd first try https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xf … y_blanking - it sounds weird: Apparently you've to turn on "presentation mode" in order to disable DPMS activation, while disabling dpms doesn't disable dpms… what?

Offline

#6 2019-11-26 15:11:27

insciwetrust
Member
Registered: 2019-10-19
Posts: 88

Re: [SOLVED] I can't stop my screen from going blank

seth wrote:

The server side auto-dpms setting isn't restricting dpms (eg. try "xset -dpms; xset dpms force off") so what most likely happens is that the xfce-power-manager triggers the DPMS setting itself, ignoring your config - sounds like a bug.
You can block the DPMS extension altogether, but I'd first try https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xf … y_blanking - it sounds weird: Apparently you've to turn on "presentation mode" in order to disable DPMS activation, while disabling dpms doesn't disable dpms… what?

Yeah, the presentation mode worked. It is indeed weird. Thank you, I am marking it as solved.


No gods, no masters!

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB