You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-26 17:42:24

Guido Budack
Website

Major updates/grades

How to configure pacman to only update/grade to major versions [10.0, 11.0...] of the kernel, system and additionally installed programs.

Tnx

Last edited by Guido Budack (2019-11-26 17:43:27)

#2 2019-11-26 17:51:04

loqs

Re: Major updates/grades

That is not possible.  You could IgnorePkg the kernel but doing so for components of userspace would be  created a partial upgrade.
What are you trying to achieve?

#3 2019-11-26 18:04:02

Guido Budack
Website

I see...
The manpages tell me the same.

Got some issue with a program I want to avoid.
Check my other post about Darkice.

There have been some updates in the past weeks I did which prevented Darkice to run as smooth as it did for a couple of years.
Problem is... the cause for the issue isn't discovered yet so it isn't possible to isolate the one program to stop updating it when working.

On the other hand... to 'freeze' the whole system just for the purpose of having one program running is a no-brainer though...

However, the possibility to update a certain program only towards a major (or any other) version be a nice option.
In another context there are programs offering it (composer)...

Last edited by Guido Budack (2019-11-26 18:13:35)

#4 2019-11-27 00:50:14

twelveeighty

What you want simply isn't possible, because 1) what is a "major" version differs greatly between packages, e.g. kernel 5.2.x and 5.3.x are *very* different in what they support, but it's not a "major" update. And 2) because of this difference in versioning between packages, you would never be able to resolve dependencies: if package A version 2.0 requires Package B version >= 1.2, but Package B is "frozen" at 1.1 and waits for 2.x before it can be updated, you would never be able to install package A's update.

If you want "frozen" versions you are probably better off with a non-rolling release distro that locks in at certain versions such as CentOS or Debian?

#5 2019-11-27 03:35:26

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

There is an unstated (and untrue) premise here also that major version updates are "safe."  Quite the opposite, major version updates are those that bring in bigger changes and thus more likely to result in problems.  Minor version updates are more often bug fixes ... you want those.

You report one experience where a minor version update caused problems for you, but this does not suggest a general pattern nor does it support ignoring minor version (bug fix) updates.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Board footer