You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-28 20:52:33

olorin12
Member
Registered: 2014-08-01
Posts: 18

Intermittent Crashing Issue

Hello all.
I have an intermittent crashing issue that only happens in a certain circumstance.

First, my relevant specs:

Ryzen 7 2700x
Asrock x470 MasterSLI/AC motherboard
32GB Ram
PowerColour Red Dragon Vega 56 GPU (Host)
Sapphire Nitro+ RX 590 GPU (guest)
1 TB M.2 SSD
2 TB 2.5" SSD
Arch is installed on the 2TB, with a 100GB partition for root and the rest for home. Fully updated.
Windows VM is installed on the 1TB, second GPU is passed through/VFIO.

Crash happens when:
I'm playing an MMO such as SW:TOR or LotRO (SW in Lutris/Wine, LotRO with Steam/Proton). I've either got it windowed or full screen.
I have Chrome open with several tabs, one of which is playing a YouTube video that I'm listening to.

The screen will go dark, but not as if there is no signal at all. The sound hangs and skips for a second or two. Then I can't do anything. Ctrl+Alt+anything doesn't work. No TTY.
I have to hard reset to get back in.
I have the Thermal Monitor widget in my Plasma panel showing the temps of CPU and GPU (Tdie for the CPU, and junction for the GPU are what's monitored), and the temps never get *that* high. like up to 79 or so on the GPU at the very highest.

I have looked at all the different logs - kernel, systemd, x.org. None have anything, since this is a hard crash.

Otherwise, my system has no problems at all. Nothing appears to be wrong with the CPU, motherboard, GPUs, or anything.

Any ideas on how I should proceed?

Offline

#2 2019-11-28 21:07:03

judd1
Member
Registered: 2015-09-04
Posts: 260

Re: Intermittent Crashing Issue

When the crash occurs, you could paste *dmesg* and also *journalctl -b* into a pastebin ?


This isn't right. This isn't even wrong.
-- Wolfgang Pauli --

Offline

#3 2019-11-28 21:20:27

xerxes_
Member
Registered: 2018-04-29
Posts: 1,073

Re: Intermittent Crashing Issue

What DE do you use? How do you configured two AMD cards?

Run command 'coredumpctl' as ordinary user and as root and see if there are some informations about crashes which are you interested. If they are, print output of commands:

coredumpctl info /path/to/executable
coredumpctl dump /path/to/executable
coredumpctl debug /path/to/executable

Offline

#4 2019-11-28 21:22:51

olorin12
Member
Registered: 2014-08-01
Posts: 18

Re: Intermittent Crashing Issue

I'm in KDE. The RX 590 is passed through to VM, so it is stubbed. The Vega 56 is configured normally.

When the crash occurs, I can't do *anything*. The machine just freezes with a black screen, and I have to hard reset.

Offline

#5 2019-11-28 21:32:30

olorin12
Member
Registered: 2014-08-01
Posts: 18

Re: Intermittent Crashing Issue

Also, I tried coredumpctl info on Chrome, Wine, SWTOR, and no coredumps were found.

Offline

#6 2019-11-28 23:24:21

2ManyDogs
Forum Fellow
Registered: 2012-01-15
Posts: 4,648

Re: Intermittent Crashing Issue

olorin12, please do not serial post (one post after another if no one has replied). Edit your first post to add information if necessary.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB