You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-29 16:06:13

damachine
Member
From: Frankfurt, Germany
Registered: 2018-04-06
Posts: 18

prime synchronization breaks with kernel 5.4

hallo had test the new 5.4 kernel and see that xrandr --prop show my that prime synchronization is 0 on my eDP-1-1 output.
i dont test it with 5.4.1 any had experience

Last edited by damachine (2019-11-29 16:08:21)

Offline

#2 2019-11-29 16:37:46

dglt
Member
Registered: 2019-08-14
Posts: 40

Re: prime synchronization breaks with kernel 5.4

i can confirm this, both the 5.4 mainline and another machine with manjaro 5.4 kernel breaks prime sync. it's been this way from the start with 5.4

EDIT: seems every 5.4 kernel i've tested has this problem with prime sync. arch 5.4, zen 5.4, manjaro's 5.4

Last edited by dglt (2019-12-04 16:07:41)

Offline

#3 2019-12-05 14:36:08

qifei9
Member
Registered: 2013-09-02
Posts: 3

Re: prime synchronization breaks with kernel 5.4

I meet the same problem. Then I switch to PRIME_Render_Offload, by installing https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/prime/ and editing xorg conf.

Now the tearing disappear while

xrandr --verbose|grep PRIME

output nothing.

Offline

#4 2019-12-05 22:29:56

damachine
Member
From: Frankfurt, Germany
Registered: 2018-04-06
Posts: 18

Re: prime synchronization breaks with kernel 5.4

qifei9 wrote:

I meet the same problem. Then I switch to PRIME_Render_Offload, by installing https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/prime/ and editing xorg conf.

Now the tearing disappear while

xrandr --verbose|grep PRIME

output nothing.

hallo is multihead working for you. or is it possible you can test it and give me a little report. thanks

Offline

#5 2019-12-05 22:32:44

dglt
Member
Registered: 2019-08-14
Posts: 40

Re: prime synchronization breaks with kernel 5.4

damachine wrote:

hallo is multihead working for you. or is it possible you can test it and give me a little report. thanks

render-offload does not support external displays unless that external port is wired directly to the intel gpu and in most cases they are not.

Offline

#6 2019-12-06 08:10:58

qifei9
Member
Registered: 2013-09-02
Posts: 3

Re: prime synchronization breaks with kernel 5.4

damachine wrote:
qifei9 wrote:

I meet the same problem. Then I switch to PRIME_Render_Offload, by installing https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/prime/ and editing xorg conf.

Now the tearing disappear while

xrandr --verbose|grep PRIME

output nothing.

hallo is multihead working for you. or is it possible you can test it and give me a little report. thanks

I use my laptop and another Monitor connected to the laptop by HDMI. Currently, the laptop monitor and the external monitor work fine together.

Last edited by qifei9 (2019-12-06 08:11:30)

Offline

#7 2019-12-06 10:05:30

Garzet
Member
From: Radoboj, Croatia
Registered: 2018-08-17
Posts: 5

Re: prime synchronization breaks with kernel 5.4

I have the same problem. Did not manage to fix tearing on Xorg. On the other hand, wayland (sway) works with proprietary drivers and there is no tearing.

Last edited by Garzet (2019-12-06 10:08:30)

Offline

#8 Yesterday 12:47:41

Halikular
Member
From: Sweden, Norrbotten
Registered: 2018-10-19
Posts: 33

Re: prime synchronization breaks with kernel 5.4

Is there going to be a fix for this, should it be reported to the linux kernel devs?

Offline

#9 Yesterday 17:05:06

dglt
Member
Registered: 2019-08-14
Posts: 40

Re: prime synchronization breaks with kernel 5.4

not sure if it's reported to kernel devs but i just reported it to nvidia which i thought i already did weeks ago but i guess not.

https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topi … nization-/

Offline

#10 Yesterday 19:48:08

dglt
Member
Registered: 2019-08-14
Posts: 40

Re: prime synchronization breaks with kernel 5.4

maybe someone could make sense of this but im told support for prime sync has been dropped upstream for 5.4 kernel

https://www.collabora.com/news-and-blog … l-5.4.html
https://forum.manjaro.org/t/issues-with … /15?u=dglt

Last edited by dglt (Yesterday 19:48:26)

Offline

#11 Yesterday 21:39:31

cfrank
Member
Registered: Yesterday
Posts: 1

Re: prime synchronization breaks with kernel 5.4

So can we assume that PRIME enabled laptops will be plagued by tearing on all kernels >= 5.4? It seems rather odd that such a large feature would get dropped like this without some sort of remedy.

Offline

#12 Yesterday 21:45:25

dglt
Member
Registered: 2019-08-14
Posts: 40

Re: prime synchronization breaks with kernel 5.4

cfrank wrote:

It seems rather odd that such a large feature would get dropped like this without some sort of remedy.

thats just it, in some twisted way they must think render offload is actually a suitable replacement and it's not. not even close.

Offline

#13 Yesterday 22:32:03

loqs
Member
Registered: 2014-03-06
Posts: 9,235

Re: prime synchronization breaks with kernel 5.4

@dglt I think you are inferring from the removal of gem_prime_res_obj hook that prime was dropped rather than just that function.
I do not believe that to be the case see https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/ke … e.c?h=v5.4
Edit:
You could also check 5.5-rc1 / drm-tip or bisect between 5.3 and 5.4

Last edited by loqs (Yesterday 23:32:03)

Offline

#14 Today 00:28:42

dglt
Member
Registered: 2019-08-14
Posts: 40

Re: prime synchronization breaks with kernel 5.4

loqs wrote:

@dglt I think you are inferring from the removal of gem_prime_res_obj hook that prime was dropped rather than just that function.
I do not believe that to be the case see https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/ke … e.c?h=v5.4
Edit:
You could also check 5.5-rc1 / drm-tip or bisect between 5.3 and 5.4

i hope i was informed incorrectly by @philm (manjaro) and that your right, unfortunately i'm not proficient enough in kernel to make sense of those links you provided. sad prime is the only reliable setup for optimus laptops, it can work without prime sync but it certainly works better with it. thanks for the response

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB