You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-30 14:52:38

mormonxyz
Member
Registered: 2019-10-05
Posts: 7

Static IP Address & Port-forwarding

I'm trying to set up a static IP address and open a port to allow incoming connections. But I just can't get it to work.

Here is what I did:

NetworkManager
I ran the following command:

nmcli con mod "Wired connection 1" ipv4.addresses "192.168.1.111/24" ipv4.gateway "192.168.1.1" ipv4.dns "8.8.8.8,8.8.4.4" ipv4.dns-search "linux" ipv4.method "manual"

I rebooted my system, and now running

ip a

indicates that the LAN IP address has been changed successfully.

rTorrent
In .rtorrent.rc I changed network.port_range.set to 55000

network.port_range.set = 55000-55000

Huawei B612-D51 router
I  simply followed a tutorial from portforwarding.com.
In 192.168.1.1 >> Settings >> Security >> Virtual Server,  I added a new VS with the following info:

Name: test
WAN Port: 55000-55000 (can't get ride of the hyphen)
LAN IP Address: 192.168.1.111
LAN Port: 55000-55000
Protocol: TCP/UDP
Status: on

What am I doing wrong here?
If you find this cringey, I'm sorry. I'm new to these kinda stuff. Also, I followed a lot of tutorials (using different network managers--netctl & dhcpcd--and none of them seemed to work. And, by far, this is the most convenient way, as I like using NetworkManager.

A help would be very much appreciated.
Thanks!

Last edited by mormonxyz (2019-11-30 19:42:22)

Offline

#2 2019-11-30 14:57:25

Lone_Wolf
Administrator
From: Netherlands, Europe
Registered: 2005-10-04
Posts: 15,472

Re: Static IP Address & Port-forwarding

Everything looks ok, how did you verify whether it works or not ?

Do you have a firewall running ?
If so, try disabling it.


Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

clean chroot building not flexible enough ?
Try clean chroot manager by graysky

Offline

#3 2019-11-30 15:16:19

mormonxyz
Member
Registered: 2019-10-05
Posts: 7

Re: Static IP Address & Port-forwarding

Thanks for replying.
There is a tracker that tells you whether your client allows incoming connections or not.
The firewall was enabled (just disabled it), restarted the router, and the torrent client (just in case).  I'm currently having an active torrent, and the track keeps saying that my client cannot accept incoming connections due to a firewall or the router dropping the connection attempt.

EDIT: the website yougetsignal.com offers a tool called Port Forwarding Tester. I tried it, and it says "Port 55000 is closed on MY EXTERNAL IP ADDRESS." (Same thing with the LAN address.)

I honestly don't know what I'm doing...

Last edited by mormonxyz (2019-11-30 15:48:33)

Offline

#4 2019-11-30 15:50:20

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,177

Re: Static IP Address & Port-forwarding

nmap -p 55000 localhost

You can then eg. use http://www.dnstools.ch/port-scanner.html to scan the port remotely. (It's german, but your WAN IP should be in the box and you add ":55000" to the tail, ie. eg. "1.2.3.4:55000")

Offline

#5 2019-11-30 16:07:03

mormonxyz
Member
Registered: 2019-10-05
Posts: 7

Re: Static IP Address & Port-forwarding

"Your connection is not secure."
Should I trust a sketchy website from a proficient tech enthusiast? Hmmm...

Last edited by mormonxyz (2019-11-30 16:07:21)

Offline

#6 2019-11-30 16:11:24

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,177

Re: Static IP Address & Port-forwarding

It's gonna run a portscan on your WAN IP, there's absolutely no trust required here (except whether you believe in the accuracy of the result) - most online portscanners only offer a free scan on a limited set of ports.
Mind you, this is all about some sketchy torrent tracker, right?

But if you've access to a different IP range to scan your WAN, all the better.
Also you didn't check the local host.

Offline

#7 2019-11-30 16:31:19

mormonxyz
Member
Registered: 2019-10-05
Posts: 7

Re: Static IP Address & Port-forwarding

nmap -p 55000 localhost

-p 55000 localhost
Starting Nmap 7.80 ( https://nmap.org ) at 2019-11-30 18:22 UTC
Nmap scan report for localhost (127.0.0.1)
Host is up (0.000085s latency).
Other addresses for localhost (not scanned): ::1

PORT      STATE SERVICE
55000/tcp open  unknown

Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 0.25 seconds

Last edited by mormonxyz (2019-11-30 19:16:57)

Offline

#8 2019-11-30 16:39:30

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,177

Re: Static IP Address & Port-forwarding

This means the port is open, either your router doesn't forward it or the complaining tracker is full of you know what…
Run a portscan from a different IP range on your WAN IP - whether you use the link in my post or something else you can find.

Offline

#9 2019-11-30 17:49:23

mormonxyz
Member
Registered: 2019-10-05
Posts: 7

Re: Static IP Address & Port-forwarding

Using http://en.dnstools.ch/port-scan.html I tested different ports--55000, 80, 4444, 2021, and 3389--and got the same result - NAME/NUMBER-port is closed.
This means the issue is within the router, right? Any ideas?

EDIT: thanks for the help, seth & Lone_Wolf. (Lone_Wolf with the firewall and seth with nmap.) Since this has nothing to do with Arch Linux, I'm going to consult for help somewhere else to keep this forum clean and Linux-focused. Also, I'll make sure to come back and solve it once I find a proper answer.

Last edited by mormonxyz (2019-11-30 19:36:39)

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB