You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-01 09:31:29

chuckiv

[SOLVED] boot directly to kde without login

as of now I have to login to terminal then type startx and the autologin option inside kde doesn't work, from what I've read, because arch no longer allows this.

there is a wiki about starting kde automatically at login but I don't ever want to see the terminal and have to login at all

the wiki on starting up into kde with systemd says it is under dispute and to see the talk section, which I read, but nobody has updated the wiki nor do I understand the nuances of the discussion and I'm afraid to just start trying the different ideas and make my computer unable to boot

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sy … ay_manager

does anyone have this setup themselves that can share some insight? or does everyone boot into terminal first? for security?

this is for my home laptop and I don't have anything sensitive on it - security is not my concern at all.

I'd also like to avoid using the AUR if possible. I have had too many issues in the past when updating and my system breaks

TIA

Last edited by chuckiv (2019-12-02 13:47:14)

#2 2019-12-01 09:42:38

loqs

Re: [SOLVED] boot directly to kde without login

#3 2019-12-01 09:58:39

chuckiv

Doesn't that mean I have to first login though? I don't want autostart at login. I want autostart without having to login. That link just shows a bash script that executes when I login to my user at terminal, correct?

My end goal is to have the fastest power-on to kde time possible. I'm just weird like that. I have been optimizing boot times using systemd-analyze etc and troubleshooting and I installed arch as an EFISTUB and do not even have grub installed
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/EFISTUB

Perhaps I can use a bash script for autostart and then have my user autologin as well? But perhaps systemd starting kde is even faster?

Last edited by chuckiv (2019-12-01 10:04:57)

#4 2019-12-01 10:11:55

loqs

That is why I provided two links.  The first link is for auto starting X at login,  the second is for automatically logging into a console.
If you combine the two you have automatically logging into a console which starts X.

#5 2019-12-01 10:24:19

chuckiv

Seems like extra steps when I can just have kde as a systemd service but then again the xorg as a systemd service wiki is a mess. Seems like even when people make it work, an update to xorg can break it.

Ok, I'll do the safe route even if it adds some time to boot. Thanks

#6 2019-12-01 10:30:04

loqs

Both proposed solutions require autologin the difference is how X is started either from a shell script called at user login or as a user service systemd starts at user login.

Last edited by loqs (2019-12-01 10:30:33)

#7 2019-12-01 13:58:11

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

And while it would not be detectable, I'd argue the former method may be faster.  When your user is automatically logged in, that "script" (your shell profile) is executed regardless of whether you start X from there or not.  Systemd also kicks in any user services, at the same time.

So you either have 1) autologin, 2) shell profile starts X, 3) Xorg running, or 1) autologin, 2a) shell profile runs, 2b) systemd starts user services, 3) user service starts X, 4) Xorg running.

Keep it simple.

(admittedly some of these steps are running in parallel, and it is not quite this simple, but I certainly see no reason to think the shell profile method would be slower).

Last edited by Trilby (2019-12-01 14:00:05)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#8 2019-12-01 15:40:01

chuckiv

Oh I thought systemd started first and was more primary bc it loads before I even login but if a shell has to run before systemd that is enlightening, thanks

I ran systemd-analyze plot > boot_analysis.svg and it looks like systemd is initializing the hard drive etc and doing machine level stuff and then I was thinking at the end of that it could just start x without any shell or user, maybe just as root, I don't know, I'm just trying to optimize and cut out as many things as possible.

I know it's rather pointless, removing grub only shaves off milliseconds. But these milliseconds add up. I also want to figure out how to get rid of all that text on boot and then the screen resolution changes and more text etc.

Basically, I just want to boot and see nothing but kde in under 2 seconds lmao

Last edited by chuckiv (2019-12-01 15:46:43)

#9 2019-12-01 15:56:25

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

systemd is running long before that yes, but systemd user sessions and services do not start until the user logs in.  The shell itself doesn't need to run before a systemd user session starts, but the login process does.  Once the user is logged in, then the shell profile and systemd user sessions are both started.

You *could* run the Xorg server as root started earlier, but this would pose some risks, and would be pointless anyways as there'd be no WM/DE client to connect to it until your user logged in.

Last edited by Trilby (2019-12-01 15:57:52)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#10 2019-12-01 16:57:42

Slithery
Administrator

chuckiv wrote:

I also want to figure out how to get rid of all that text on boot and then the screen resolution changes and more text etc.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Silent_boot

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#11 2019-12-02 01:41:56

chuckiv

@ TRilby, I see, thank you for the clarification

@Slithery, thanks!

@loqs dont want to forget to thank you as well

I appreciate all your time and expertise thanks again. Solved! smile

#12 2019-12-02 13:37:15

chuckiv

Not sure if I should start a new topic but when looking at silent boot it says "Change the kernel parameters using the configuration options of your boot loader."

Also https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=249106 regarding slow systemd-random-seed.service says add random.trust_cpu=on to the kernel command line in your bootloader.

I don't HAVE a bootloader! LOL!

Do I have to edit and recompile the kernel?? And then what happens when kernel is updated??

Can I add new entry like

# efibootmgr --disk /dev/sdX --part Y --create --label "Arch Linux" --loader /vmlinuz-linux --unicode 'root=PARTUUID=XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX rw initrd=\initramfs-linux.img' --verbose

but where do I add things like --random.trust_cpu=on ?

Last edited by chuckiv (2019-12-02 13:43:26)

#13 2019-12-02 13:41:06

Slithery
Administrator

Please start a new topic as this is unrelated to the original question.

Also please remember to mark this thread [SOLVED].
CoC - How to post

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#14 2019-12-02 13:45:54

chuckiv

I can't find where to mark it solved, sorry sad

I even googled it and
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=123584

looks like I can't mark it as solved? bc "we like it like that"???

did I do that right?

Last edited by chuckiv (2019-12-02 13:47:45)

Board footer