You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-10 09:30:14

maus

HP Omen 17: black screen on tty and on resume from suspend

Hi all,
I have a brand new HP OMEN 17-CB0000NL, i7-9750h with an Nvidia gtx 1660ti graphics card, without Optimus. I'm using Plasma desktop on a fresh Arch Linux installation, with Nvidia proprietary drivers.
I was able to boot only by adding pci=hpiosize=0 as a grub kernel parameter, otherwise I'd get an endless stream of errors like: ACPI Error: No handler or method for GPE...
I finally managed to make almost everything work except a few things, the most annoying of which are:

- if I try to switch to tty by pressing Alt+Ctrl+Fnn I only get a black screen. The system is functional, so I can login and reboot even if the screen is totally black. If I try to switch back to X, I can only see the mouse pointer while the screen is still black

- if I suspend to RAM, there's no way to resume. I can only get the usual black screen with the mouse pointer. I can still switch to tty, but the screen is always black, and reboot.

I've read a few topics here and googled a lot, but still I can't find any solutions

The other small problem is that the internal microphone doesn't work. The laptop comes with an hp wide vision hd camera, with integrated dual array digital microphone.

Can anyone help, especially with the first two problems? Thanks!

#2 2019-12-10 09:38:05

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: HP Omen 17: black screen on tty and on resume from suspend

For the TTY switching problem, configure nvidia KMS by adding

nvidia-drm.modeset=1

to your kernel parameters.

For the suspension problem, configure/enable nvidia's sleep/suspension systemd hooks: http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/L … ement.html (that page contains a lot of background information, actually relevant for you is only the last two paragraphs regarding enablement of systemd services and the potential additional note regarding sleep state)

Last edited by V1del (2019-12-10 09:40:36)

#3 2019-12-10 10:14:06

maus

Thanks for your reply, V1del, but I tried with nvidia-drm.modeset=1 and enabled nvidia's sleep/suspension systemd hooks, also using the kernel command line parameter "mem_sleep_default=deep" with no luck

Last edited by maus (2019-12-10 10:15:39)

#4 2019-12-10 10:18:49

V1del
Forum Moderator

Post logs, a

systemctl list-unit-files --state=enabled
sudo journalctl -b-1 #If you had to reboot after a freeze/black screen

from trying to reproduce the issue in [ code ] [ /code ] tags without the spaces. Are you sure you applied the kernel parameters? I have no hands on experience with the sleep and suspension hooks, but enabling modeset should definitely fix TTY switching.

#5 2019-12-11 12:04:44

maus

Now suspend and resume seem to be working, even though it takes a lot of time to resume.
The problem with tty is still there. Another thing I've noticed is that when I switch to tty, not only the screen becomes black, but the fans begin to get loud and a few messages like this sometimes appear in dmesg

mce: CPU0: Core temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (total events = 1) 

This is the output of dmesg as soon as I try to switch to tty

[  930.799571] nvidia-modeset: WARNING: GPU:0: AU Optronics Corporation (DP-2): G-SYNC Compatible: EDID min refresh rate invalid, disabling G-SYNC Compatible.
[ 1055.057296] audit: type=1130 audit(1576065038.933:63): pid=1 uid=0 auid=4294967295 ses=4294967295 msg='unit=getty@tty3 comm="systemd" exe="/usr/lib/systemd/systemd" hostname=? addr=? terminal=? res=success'

As for the kernel command line parameters, here's the output of cat /proc/cmdline

BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-linux root=UUID=bf7d9786-faa5-d501-103d-9186faa5d501 rw loglevel=3 quiet pci=hpiosize=0 nvidia-drm.modeset=1 "acpi_osi=!Windows 2013" "acpi_osi=!Windows 2012" snd_hda_intel.dmic_detect=0 

And this is the output of  systemctl list-unit-files --state=enabled

UNIT FILE                                  STATE  
org.cups.cupsd.path                        enabled
autovt@.service                            enabled
dbus-org.freedesktop.network1.service      enabled
dbus-org.freedesktop.nm-dispatcher.service enabled
dbus-org.freedesktop.timesync1.service     enabled
display-manager.service                    enabled
getty@.service                             enabled
NetworkManager-dispatcher.service          enabled
NetworkManager-wait-online.service         enabled
NetworkManager.service                     enabled
nvidia-hibernate.service                   enabled
nvidia-resume.service                      enabled
nvidia-suspend.service                     enabled
org.cups.cupsd.service                     enabled
sddm.service                               enabled
systemd-networkd-wait-online.service       enabled
systemd-networkd.service                   enabled
systemd-timesyncd.service                  enabled
org.cups.cupsd.socket                      enabled
systemd-networkd.socket                    enabled
remote-fs.target                           enabled

#6 2019-12-27 09:50:50

maus

I was trying to understand why plasma on wayland was running so bad and I tried adding export KWIN_DRM_USE_EGL_STREAMS=1 in my /etc/profile.
I rebooted and launched a wayland plasma session and I realized it was running way smoother than before except for the fact that plasma kept on crashing over and over.
So I tried to switch to tty and, to my great surprise, it just worked.
The next thing I tried was commenting the export KWIN_DRM_USE_EGL_STREAMS=1 line in my /etc/profile, and tty is still working. Plasma on wayland is still unusable though.
I think some of the latest nvidia driver updates might have solved the tty issue.

Board footer