You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-11 00:19:53

Zhme
Member
Registered: 2017-06-11
Posts: 80

[Solved] VMware install incorrect, AUR install "file exists error"

I have been going back and forth between distros and my windows OS and forgot to check to AUR when I downloaded and "attempted" to install the VMware bundle from their website.

I used bash to install the .bundle package and ran into a few errors with the modules which I fixed most of by using this https://www.linuxquestions.org/question … 175617760/thread suggestion near the bottom.

After trying that and running

vmware-modconfig --console --install-all

and still getting errors for the keymaps I hit google to find that there is an AUR package for VMWare.

Using the AUR package I still got an error for the keymaps so I removed all of them from /usr/lib/vmware/xkeymap and the installation appeared to finally be working, only until the last minute when I received a large list of errors because of files that already exist.  How do I go about removing the remnants of my prior installation attempt?  Also, are there any files that I can post to help solve my problem.  I was hoping the makepkg log would be useful but there were only a few lines that weren't relevant

Last edited by Zhme (2019-12-11 00:37:24)

Offline

#2 2019-12-11 00:33:36

loqs
Member
Registered: 2014-03-06
Posts: 19,097

Re: [Solved] VMware install incorrect, AUR install "file exists error"

Offline

#3 2019-12-11 00:36:52

Zhme
Member
Registered: 2017-06-11
Posts: 80

Re: [Solved] VMware install incorrect, AUR install "file exists error"

All of my searches were useless ha.  Thank you, marked as solved.

Offline

#4 2019-12-11 01:53:01

Zhme
Member
Registered: 2017-06-11
Posts: 80

Re: [Solved] VMware install incorrect, AUR install "file exists error"

If I could just slap this on the end before this thread becomes too stale that would be swell xD

I saved my

pacman -U package.tar.gz > log.txt

with hopes to use the list in a bash loop to remove the conflicting files, but my sed work is terrible.

What is wrong with this command?

cat pac_U.log.txt | sed --expression='s/[^\/]*//' --expression='s/*[^ exists]//'

Edit:

Also from my rampant rm commands, it appears that I have deleted some important png icons, pacman -Syu doesn't seem to fix the issue.  Is this going to be a nightmare?

Edit:

It wasn't. https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=95682

Last edited by Zhme (2019-12-11 02:18:03)

Offline

#5 2019-12-11 14:57:08

CarbonChauvinist
Member
Registered: 2012-06-16
Posts: 413
Website

Re: [Solved] VMware install incorrect, AUR install "file exists error"

Zhme wrote:

What is wrong with this command?

cat pac_U.log.txt | sed --expression='s/[^\/]*//' --expression='s/*[^ exists]//'

Besides the unnecessary `cat` it's hard to say without more information. What is the intent of the command? And what is the {undesired} outcome?

Assuming that you're trying to go from something like:

...
docker-compose: /usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/compose/legacy.py exists in filesystem
docker-compose: /usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/compose/progress_stream.py exists in filesystem
docker-compose: /usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/compose/project.py exists in filesystem
docker-compose: /usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/compose/service.py exists in filesystem
docker-compose: /usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/compose/state.py exists in filesystem
docker-compose: /usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/compose/utils.py exists in filesystem

to

...
/usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/compose/legacy.py
/usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/compose/progress_stream.py
/usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/compose/project.py
/usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/compose/service.py
/usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/compose/state.py
/usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/compose/utils.py

the following should/may work for your needs:

$ sed -e 's/[^\/]*//' -e 's/\ exists.*//' /path/to/pac_U.log.txt

"the wind-blown way, wanna win? don't play"

Offline

#6 2019-12-11 15:37:15

loqs
Member
Registered: 2014-03-06
Posts: 19,097

Re: [Solved] VMware install incorrect, AUR install "file exists error"

pacman -Syu

Performs a full system update.  It does not reinstall packages which are up to date.

pacman -Qkk

Will detect packages with missing files.

As an alternative to the sed command

cut -d' ' -f2 /path/to/pac_U.log.txt

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB