You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-11 11:20:29

Tyskr
Member
Registered: 2019-12-11
Posts: 67

[Solved] Update Expressvpn via .pkg not working

Hey folks,

been using Arch Linux for a week now and I'm totally in love with it, although I'm a noob still.

So here is a problem I encountered:

I want to update my VPN (expressVPN). The AUR-package is out of date, the .pkg I downloaded from the official site is not. But it don't know how to install it.

makepkg

while I'm in my Downloads folder doesn't work.

The VPN does work, but is there any way to get the most recent version?

Last edited by Tyskr (2019-12-11 11:57:16)

Offline

#2 2019-12-11 11:38:01

V1del
Forum Moderator
Registered: 2012-10-16
Posts: 25,405

Re: [Solved] Update Expressvpn via .pkg not working

makepkg is for building pacman packages, if you have an actual already built pacman package, install it with

pacman -U $package

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pa … l_commands

Offline

#3 2019-12-11 11:56:30

Tyskr
Member
Registered: 2019-12-11
Posts: 67

Re: [Solved] Update Expressvpn via .pkg not working

V1del wrote:

makepkg is for building pacman packages, if you have an actual already built pacman package, install it with

pacman -U $package

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pa … l_commands

Thanks, I now have the most recent version.

Reason why I didn't read that wiki page was that I installed yay and thought, for some unknown reason, that any pacman-command was not needed anymore. I'm smarter now, thanks again!

Offline

#4 2019-12-11 12:04:22

V1del
Forum Moderator
Registered: 2012-10-16
Posts: 25,405

Re: [Solved] Update Expressvpn via .pkg not working

You could do that same thing with yay, but you should always be aware that your actual package manager is still pacman (yay just calls pacman for everything that isn't handling the AUR). yay can (and has) broken on pacman/go updates, knowing what to do and how it differs from pacman/makepkg will be quite important in that case, even for repairing yay.

You should read the pacman, AUR and makepkg pages a few times, only use an AUR helper once you know how the actual relevant parts interact with each other. You will thank yourself in the long run.

Offline

#5 2019-12-11 12:26:20

Tyskr
Member
Registered: 2019-12-11
Posts: 67

Re: [Solved] Update Expressvpn via .pkg not working

You should read the pacman, AUR and makepkg pages a few times, only use an AUR helper once you know how the actual relevant parts interact with each other. You will thank yourself in the long run.

Will do that! Lots of stuff to read for me.

Offline

#6 2019-12-11 13:29:30

WorMzy
Administrator
From: Scotland
Registered: 2010-06-16
Posts: 13,675
Website

Re: [Solved] Update Expressvpn via .pkg not working

The AUR-package is out of date

As the (co)maintainer of the expressvpn package, I'd appreciate it if you flagged the package as out of date if this is the case. I'll get the package updated as soon as I can.

EDIT: AUR package updated.

Last edited by WorMzy (2019-12-11 15:27:23)


Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

Offline

#7 2019-12-11 19:16:15

Tyskr
Member
Registered: 2019-12-11
Posts: 67

Re: [Solved] Update Expressvpn via .pkg not working

WorMzy wrote:

The AUR-package is out of date

As the (co)maintainer of the expressvpn package, I'd appreciate it if you flagged the package as out of date if this is the case. I'll get the package updated as soon as I can.

EDIT: AUR package updated.

Thank you for doing this mate, really appreciate it. If I come across an out of date package in the future, I will flag it.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB