You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-12 15:57:26

Thorsten Reinbold

Nividia: Wiki enhancement?

Hello everyone!

I would like to extend the wiki article about the Nvidia cards, but I'm not sure if it's okay.

In the section "Avoid screen tearing" it is recommended to use "ForceFullCompositionPipeline=on" to avoid tearing. I've been using this setting for a long time and never associated it with a somewhat annoying observation: under Linux, the driver takes very long to reduce the clock at low load (can be observed within Nvidia Setting>Powermizer). Under Windows, this works in a very few seconds. This is due to the setting mentioned above, which ensures that the graphics card runs the full clock considerably longer.

With "ForceFullCompositionPipeline=on" it takes up to one minute to clock down again, with the setting disabled it is only 10-15 seconds. With the environment-variable "export __GL_ExperimentalPerfStrategy=1", suggestet to test by an Nvidia-Developer it only takes 5 seconds to clock down again (Nvidia-Thread).

I tested this here (Nvidia GTX 1070) and can confirm the behavior. Would it be ok to add the information to the article? Can someone test this too?

Sorry for my bad english. I'm getting in trouble with longer texts. wink

#2 2019-12-12 16:05:10

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: Nividia: Wiki enhancement?

If you are just going to add it as an alternative without explicitly removing what's already there I don't see the issue. Also more general, you might want to open up this discussion on the Talk page of the relevant wiki page, frequent contributors/maintainers of the wiki are more likely to see your proposal there than here.

#3 2019-12-12 16:34:47

Thorsten Reinbold

Re: Nividia: Wiki enhancement?

Thanks, done that. I've used the talk page and made a small hint with a link to the Nvidia-Support-Thread for now.

Last edited by Thorsten Reinbold (2019-12-12 18:19:52)

Board footer