You are not logged in.
Hey guys!
I've run into a problem:
There is a question mark on my wifi-symbol. I'm sure you guys are familiar with this. I've found several treads describing this problem on the internet, yet they didn't help in my case. There is a thread here on the Arch forums in which people suggested to downgrade curl. I did that, it didn't solve he problem and I reverted the curl downgrade.
I have Network Manager and network-manager-applet-indicator installed. I'm using a VPN (expressVPN) if that is of any help. It is a Remote Access VPN if I'm not mistaken.
I also have netctl and dhcpcd installed. Being a total noob still, I don't even know exactly what these do.
$ systemctl list-unit-files --state=enabled
autovt@.service
dbus-org.freedesktop.nm-dispatcher.service
display-manager.service
expressvpn.service
gdm.service
getty@.service
NetworkManager-dispatcher.service
NetworkManager-wait-online.service
NetworkManager.service
remote-fs.target The question mark appears with both ethernet and wlan.
The '?' isn't immediately there, it pops up after a minute or so.
As of now I don't know how to provide anymore useful information about my system and the problem.
Offline
Offline
I'm using Gnome 3.
No specific taskbar.

Offline
Networkmanager pings a specific Arch URI, can you access that from your connectoin? http://www.archlinux.org/check_network_status.txt
Also since you have expressvpn explicitly enabled as a service, did you configure the VPN connection within an NM context or do you just connect to normal wifi and enable the service? It could be that networkmanager cannot properly asses connection state because you didn't set up the VPN connection via it's own facilities.
Last edited by V1del (2019-12-12 13:27:03)
Offline
Networkmanager pings a specific Arch URI, can you access that from your connectoin? http://www.archlinux.org/check_network_status.txt
404 - Page Not Found
Also since you have expressvpn explicitly enabled as a service, did you configure the VPN connection within an NM context or do you just connect to normal wifi and enable the service? It could be that networkmanager cannot properly asses connection state because you didn't set up the VPN connection via it's own facilities.
I just connect to normal wifi and enable the service.
Offline
% curl http://www.archlinux.org/check_network_status.txt
NetworkManager is online
% curl https://www.archlinux.org/check_network_status.txt
# yields the 404 pageOffline
% curl http://www.archlinux.org/check_network_status.txt NetworkManager is online
This worked for me.
Offline
https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/pack … orkmanager
install -Dm644 /dev/stdin "$pkgdir/usr/lib/NetworkManager/conf.d/20-connectivity.conf" <<END
[connectivity]
uri=http://www.archlinux.org/check_network_status.txt
ENDCheck the file on your system.
(nb. my networkmanager installation works as intended. It doesn't use any disk space and doesn't mess around w/ my network config - ie. I don't use it ;-)
Offline
https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/pack … orkmanager
install -Dm644 /dev/stdin "$pkgdir/usr/lib/NetworkManager/conf.d/20-connectivity.conf" <<END [connectivity] uri=http://www.archlinux.org/check_network_status.txt ENDCheck the file on your system.
Can you elaborate on how to do that?
Offline
cat /usr/lib/NetworkManager/conf.d/20-connectivity.confWhat distribution do you use?
Offline
cat /usr/lib/NetworkManager/conf.d/20-connectivity.confWhat distribution do you use?
I'm using Arch Linux.
Offline
And you don't know how to look into a file?
Let's pretend I buy that: what is in that file?
Offline
And you don't know how to look into a file?
I know how to cat into a file, it just wasn't clear to me with the 'install Dm644 /dev/stdin' in front. Sorry.
Let's pretend I buy that: what is in that file?
[connectivity]
uri=http://www.archlinux.org/check_network_status.txt
^ content of that .conf file.
Offline
Ok, that's the proper URI and you confirmed that you can fetch it, so if that question mark is supposed to indicate a broken connection depending on that URI, there's either a bug in NM or that particular systray implementation.
NM is notoriously chatty, so you could check the journal.
Offline
audit: type=1131 audit(1576521848.824:87): pid=1 uid=0 auid=4294967295 ses=4294967295 msg='unit=NetworkManager-dispatcher comm="systemd" exe="/usr/lib/systemd/systemd" hostname=? addr=? terminal=? res=success'journalctl was showing even more, but I got suspicious when I saw the question marks and copied that part to show you guys.
$ nmcli g
STATE CONNECTIVITY WIFI-HW WIFI WWAN-HW WWAN
connected (site only) limited enabled enabled enabled enabled Last edited by Tyskr (2019-12-16 19:04:13)
Offline
That line just says that systemd started the NetworkManager-dispatcher service. It doesn't really indicate anything.
The question marks there are placeholders (obfuscation of private data, I assume) in the audit log.
Offline
Tried several things in the meantime, but to no avail.
Offline
This is likely similar to [1] and your resolv.conf and/or DNS being clobbered by the expressvpn service you are starting here that confuses NM since it breaks it's assumptions about the initial connection, either switch to a networkmanager native vpn plugin if possible, change the resolv rules (and/or add your routers ip as a nameserver) or live with the question mark if nothing else gets borked through it.
[1] https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=251483
Last edited by V1del (2019-12-20 17:13:16)
Offline
Does the icon change properly if you disable the network?
Try to set another Gnome theme or icon set to see if it has same issues. Maybe its an icon cache issue or something.
sys2064
Offline
This is likely similar to [1] and your resolv.conf and/or DNS being clobbered by the expressvpn service you are starting here that confuses NM since it breaks it's assumptions about the initial connection, either switch to a networkmanager native vpn plugin if possible, change the resolv rules (and/or add your routers ip as a nameserver) or live with the question mark if nothing else gets borked through it.
Interesting. When I'm not using the VPN, the question mark won't show up. So it's most likely a Express VPN issue.
I have never touched the resolv.conf and I have honestly absolutely no clue what if have to do, even after reading the wiki page. Can you help me?
Offline
I edited my resolv.conf and added 3 DNS:
8.8.8.8
8.8.4.4
1.1.1.1After a reboot for example, my resolv.conf always had been overwritten. It would change to my localdomain.
Then I did
chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf and it kept the changes in resolv.conf.
When I try to connect to expressvpn, it won't connect me. When I try to connect, it goes to 25%, 60%, 80% and starts from zero all over again. Infinite loop.
When I make the resolv.conf writeable again, the vpn will connect, but I can't ping anything and no connection is established.
//Edit
Can connect to WiFi again, question mark still there tho.
Last edited by Tyskr (2019-12-27 16:19:21)
Offline
If I do
ls -l /etcit says
resolv.conf -> /var/lib/expressvpn/resolv.confDoes this mean that expressvpn is managing my resolv.conf?
Offline
Yes. Specifically, /etc/resolv.conf is naught but a soft link to /var/lib/expressvpn/resolv.conf. IOW, that file is your /etc/resolv.conf.
Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
The shortest way to ruin a country is to give power to demagogues.— Dionysius of Halicarnassus
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way
Offline
Yes. Specifically, /etc/resolv.conf is naught but a soft link to /var/lib/expressvpn/resolv.conf. IOW, that file is your /etc/resolv.conf.
Do you have any idea how to modify my /var/lib/expressvpn/resolv.conf so that NetworkManager is not confused by my vpn? Just trying things out here to solve my problem.
Offline
No idea, but did you read https://www.expressvpn.com/de/support/v … h-openvpn/ ?
Offline