You are not logged in.
A couple of days ago I finally got my first Arch install to boot on my laptop and haven't really run into any issues that the wiki or googling around didn't fix until now. I've been trying to get sound through the speakers to work on my system for about a day now to no avail. So far I've tried setting the default card per the instructions of the wiki, I have alsa-utils, pulseaudio, and pulseaudio-alsa installed as some posts recommended.
My run of alsa-info.sh is located here.
The thing that I find strange is that if I run lspci | grep Audio it returns the output:
00:1f.3 Audio device: Intel Corporation Cannon Lake PCH cAVS (rev10)
01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation Device 10fa (rev a1)If I run aplay -l I get:
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 1: Nvidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0If I run pacmd list cards it only detects the Nvidia card, which seems to only have the option to output sound through hdmi. This is where I think my problem lies, but I haven't really found anything similar to this issue while looking around the Internet. Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like pulseaudio isn't detecting the Intel soundcard which I assume allows sound to be put through the speakers. Is there anyway to fix this that I may have overlooked?
Last edited by moogin (2019-12-15 18:59:30)
Offline
!!Modprobe options (Sound related)
!!--------------------------------
snd_hda_intel: index=1Why's that? Did you create some /etc/modprobe.d config for alsa?
Make it index=0.
Rule no. #1 about all audio issues: lose pulseaudio.
Make sure it works before adding that layer of complexity.
Offline
As seth was saying, you should be able to get sound from alsa alone without pulseaudio to begin with.
Try running speaker-test -c 2 with pulseaudio disabled and see what the output is. It can just be sound is outputted to the wrong device as your snd_hda_intel has indexed to 1.
Offline
As seth was saying, you should be able to get sound from alsa alone without pulseaudio to begin with.
Try running speaker-test -c 2 with pulseaudio disabled and see what the output is. It can just be sound is outputted to the wrong device as your snd_hda_intel has indexed to 1.
When I run that command after following Seth's directions and making sure pulseaudio isn't running I get this output:
Playback device is default
Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 2 channels
Using 16 octaves of pink noise
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1089(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
Playback open error: -2,No such file or directoryLast edited by moogin (2019-12-15 13:32:51)
Offline
Can you "sudo speaker-test -c 2"?
What's the current alsa-info.sh output?
Offline
What is the output of aplay -L | grep :CARD?
Offline
a
Can you "sudo speaker-test -c 2"?
What's the current alsa-info.sh output?
I still get the same output with sudo.
alsa-info is here.
Last edited by moogin (2019-12-15 14:09:54)
Offline
What is the output of aplay -L | grep :CARD?
The output is
hdmi:CARD=Nvidia,DEV=0
usbstream:CARD=NVidiaOffline
Either update the system so that you get the new kernel (which implicitly disables the following) or explicitly specify
dmic_detect=0as an additional argument in your modprobe.d conf . That should hopefully make your internal card detected again.
Offline
Either update the system so that you get the new kernel (which implicitly disables the following) or explicitly specify
dmic_detect=0as an additional argument in your modprobe.d conf . That should hopefully make your internal card detected again.
You are awesome! Sound from firefox is working and everything. Thank you everyone for your help.
Last edited by moogin (2019-12-15 15:17:58)
Offline
Glad to hear, please mark as [SOLVED] by editing and prepending to the title in your first post: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … ow_to_post
Offline