You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-17 16:09:59

ssk105
Member
Registered: 2019-12-17
Posts: 3

[SOLVED]Nvidia driver is not installed/working properly

I installed nvidia using

sudo pacman -S nvidia

Then rebooted the system, checked which driver is running using

lspci -k | grep -A 2 -E "(VGA|3D)"

I got

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation HD Graphics 630 (rev 04)
	Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] HD Graphics 630
	Kernel driver in use: i915
--
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GP106M [GeForce GTX 1060 Mobile] (rev a1)
	Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] GP106M [GeForce GTX 1060 Mobile]
	Kernel driver in use: nouveau

My system info (Neofetch)

Host: Predator G3-571 V1.21 
Kernel: 5.3.13-arch1-1 
Uptime: 13 mins 
Packages: 949 (pacman) 
Shell: bash 5.0.11 
Resolution: 1920x1080 
DE: Cinnamon 4.4.4 
WM: Mutter (Muffin) 
WM Theme: cinnamon (Adwaita) 
Theme: Adwaita [GTK2/3] 
Icons: Adwaita [GTK2/3] 
Terminal: gnome-terminal 
CPU: Intel i7-7700HQ (8) @ 3.800GHz 
GPU: Intel HD Graphics 630 
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 Mobile 
Memory: 1326MiB / 15898MiB 

Since nvidia is not running, I wanted to generate xorg.conf file using

nvidia-xconfig

Rebooted the system, but cinnamon didn't even load so I have to go into Ctrl+Alt+F2 mode to delete the xorg.conf file, then system booted fine. I have no external monitors only my laptop screen.
I installed nvidia-settings but it wouldn't even open.

I uninstalled nvidia and tried installing nvidia-390xx but still nvidia didn't run.
I want nvidia only for tensorflow-gpu but so far no luck.
Hope you guys have some solution !

Last edited by ssk105 (2019-12-17 18:13:43)

Offline

#2 2019-12-17 16:20:29

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,166

Re: [SOLVED]Nvidia driver is not installed/working properly

nvidia-xconfig

Don't. You've an optimus system and aside from creating a really lousy config overall, nvidia-xconfig can't deal with that. Remove the file it created.

Read https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Optimus

As for nouveau being used, it's probably in your initramfs (and the blacklisting option for modprobe is not yet)?
Try to recreate the initramfs (do you use mkinitcpio or dracut?)

Offline

#3 2019-12-17 16:21:18

loqs
Member
Registered: 2014-03-06
Posts: 19,097

Re: [SOLVED]Nvidia driver is not installed/working properly

Kernel: 5.3.13-arch1-1 

What version of the nvidia package did you install?
nvidia-xconfig will almost certainly produce a broken config.
Edit:
beaten by seth.  seth if you have free time https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=251032

Last edited by loqs (2019-12-17 16:22:40)

Offline

#4 2019-12-17 16:46:49

ssk105
Member
Registered: 2019-12-17
Posts: 3

Re: [SOLVED]Nvidia driver is not installed/working properly

Thanks for the reply guys.

When I installed nvidia, 440.44-2 was installed and nvidia-util-440.44-1 was installed.

I removed the xorg.conf file. I installed "optimus-manager" found in optimus archwiki page.

Rebooted.

Then I tried

optimus-manager --switch nvidia

But failed to switch nvidia, saying nvidia driver may not be installed properly

WARNING : no power management option is currently enabled (this is the default since v1.2). Switching between GPUs will work but you will likely experience poor battery life.
Follow instructions at https://github.com/Askannz/optimus-manager/wiki/A-guide--to-power-management-options to enable power management.
If you have already enabled the new Runtime D3 power management inside the Nvidia driver (for Turing+ GPU + Coffee Lake+ CPU), you can safely ignore this warning.
WARNING : the nvidia module does not seem to be available for the current kernel. It is likely the Nvidia driver was not properly installed. GPU switching will probably fail,
 continue anyway ? (y/N)
> y
You are about to switch GPUs. This will forcibly close all graphical sessions and all your applications WILL CLOSE.
(you can pass the --no-confirm option to disable this warning)
Continue ? (y/N)
> 

Offline

#5 2019-12-17 17:02:08

loqs
Member
Registered: 2014-03-06
Posts: 19,097

Re: [SOLVED]Nvidia driver is not installed/working properly

nvidia 440.44-2 is for linux 5.4.3-arch1-1.
Did you run `pacman -Sy` between installing the kernel and installing the nvidia package?  Otherwise the mirror the system is using is out of sync.

Offline

#6 2019-12-17 17:03:16

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,166

Re: [SOLVED]Nvidia driver is not installed/working properly

I might havebeaten loqs in time, but he had the better idea. You conducted a partial update (pacman -Sy w/o "-u"), the nvidia version is compiled for kernel 5.4.3 and will not work w/ the one installed on your system.
Run a complete update (pacman -Syu) and report back.

Edit: and now I'm also beaten by time…

Last edited by seth (2019-12-17 17:03:48)

Offline

#7 2019-12-17 17:51:43

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,166

Re: [SOLVED]Nvidia driver is not installed/working properly

OT

loqs wrote:

The nvidia module uses the retracted hook and it's required for the fencing function. There's a bunch of wrangling around an nvidia container which holds a reservation_object next to drm_gem_object.
It might be nasty to untangle (or not) but I doubt this to be a "uh-oh, we got GPL'd out of the kernel situation".

Offline

#8 2019-12-17 18:04:24

ssk105
Member
Registered: 2019-12-17
Posts: 3

Re: [SOLVED]Nvidia driver is not installed/working properly

Hi guys..

It worked, running a full system update did the trick. Also the optimus-manager is functioning nicely.

But, for some reason my touchpad is not working now. Lol. But I will try to find solution for that !!

Thanks guys !!

Last edited by ssk105 (2019-12-17 18:04:42)

Offline

#9 2019-12-17 18:12:43

loqs
Member
Registered: 2014-03-06
Posts: 19,097

Re: [SOLVED]Nvidia driver is not installed/working properly

For the touchpad I would suggest looking at https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=205793 / https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=205745
Edit:
See also https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/ke … 5b428f86cf

Last edited by loqs (2019-12-17 18:30:18)

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB