You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-17 22:19:27

pontifikas
Member
Registered: 2019-12-17
Posts: 10

[SOLVED] Plex-media-server service will not start on systemd

I've been having the same (or similar) issue as in Can't get plex-media-server to work on a fresh installation of Arch Linux.
So I followed the wiki process and installed plex-media-server.

I get similar output when doing

$sudo systemctl status plexmediaserver
● plexmediaserver.service - Plex Media Server
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/plexmediaserver.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
     Active: failed (Result: core-dump) since Tue 2019-12-17 23:00:33 CET; 7s ago
    Process: 1922 ExecStart=/usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Plex Media Server (code=dumped, signal=ABRT)
   Main PID: 1922 (code=dumped, signal=ABRT)

Dec 17 23:00:33 Hex systemd[1]: plexmediaserver.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 3.
Dec 17 23:00:33 Hex systemd[1]: Stopped Plex Media Server.
Dec 17 23:00:33 Hex systemd[1]: plexmediaserver.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
Dec 17 23:00:33 Hex systemd[1]: plexmediaserver.service: Failed with result 'core-dump'.
Dec 17 23:00:33 Hex systemd[1]: Failed to start Plex Media Server.

My

journalctl -b

shows:

Dec 17 23:15:38 Hex systemd[1]: Started Process Core Dump (PID 2260/UID 0).
Dec 17 23:15:38 Hex systemd[1]: plexmediaserver.service: Main process exited, code=dumped, status=6/ABRT
Dec 17 23:15:38 Hex systemd[1]: plexmediaserver.service: Failed with result 'core-dump'.
Dec 17 23:15:38 Hex audit[1]: SERVICE_STOP pid=1 uid=0 auid=4294967295 ses=4294967295 msg='unit=plexmediaserver comm="systemd" exe="/usr/lib/systemd/systemd" hostname=? addr=? terminal=? res=fai>
Dec 17 23:15:38 Hex kernel: audit: type=1131 audit(1576620938.238:180): pid=1 uid=0 auid=4294967295 ses=4294967295 msg='unit=plexmediaserver comm="systemd" exe="/usr/lib/systemd/systemd" hostnam>
Dec 17 23:15:38 Hex systemd-coredump[2261]: Process 2259 (Plex Media Serv) of user 973 dumped core.
                                            
                                            Stack trace of thread 2259:
                                            #0  0x00007fdfebef0f25 raise (libc.so.6 + 0x3bf25)
                                            #1  0x00007fdfebeda897 abort (libc.so.6 + 0x25897)
                                            #2  0x00007fdfec110fd4 _ZN9__gnu_cxx27__verbose_terminate_handlerEv (libstdc++.so.6 + 0x94fd4)
                                            #3  0x00007fdfec10f80b n/a (libstdc++.so.6 + 0x9380b)
                                            #4  0x00007fdfec10f844 _ZSt9terminatev (libstdc++.so.6 + 0x93844)
                                            #5  0x00007fdfec10fa06 __cxa_throw (libstdc++.so.6 + 0x93a06)
                                            #6  0x00007fdfec1295d6 _ZSt21__throw_runtime_errorPKc (libstdc++.so.6 + 0xad5d6)
                                            #7  0x00007fdfec124c34 _ZNSt6locale5facet18_S_create_c_localeERP15__locale_structPKcS2_ (libstdc++.so.6 + 0xa8c34)
                                            #8  0x00007fdfec11a432 _ZNSt6locale5_ImplC2EPKcm (libstdc++.so.6 + 0x9e432)
                                            #9  0x00007fdfec11b0ad _ZNSt6localeC1EPKc (libstdc++.so.6 + 0x9f0ad)
                                            #10 0x00007fdfedb5313a _ZN5boost10filesystem4path5imbueERKSt6locale (libboost_filesystem.so + 0x1113a)
                                            #11 0x0000000001683e7a n/a (Plex Media Server + 0x1483e7a)
                                            #12 0x00000000016ac23d n/a (Plex Media Server + 0x14ac23d)
                                            #13 0x00007fdfebedc0de __libc_start_main (libc.so.6 + 0x270de)
                                            #14 0x0000000000959029 n/a (Plex Media Server + 0x759029)
Dec 17 23:15:38 Hex systemd[1]: systemd-coredump@7-2260-0.service: Succeeded.
Dec 17 23:15:38 Hex audit[1]: SERVICE_STOP pid=1 uid=0 auid=4294967295 ses=4294967295 msg='unit=systemd-coredump@7-2260-0 comm="systemd" exe="/usr/lib/systemd/systemd" hostname=? addr=? terminal>
Dec 17 23:15:38 Hex kernel: audit: type=1131 audit(1576620938.258:181): pid=1 uid=0 auid=4294967295 ses=4294967295 msg='unit=systemd-coredump@7-2260-0 comm="systemd" exe="/usr/lib/systemd/system>

I tried original poster's locale suggestion on both the root's and my user's bashrc (though my locale is LANG=en_US.UTF-8) but to no avail.

I also checked that the plex user home directory is the correct one (pinned comment suggestion).

Does anyone have any other idea?

I thank you in advance

Last edited by pontifikas (2019-12-19 07:59:14)

Offline

#2 2019-12-18 08:11:35

V1del
Forum Moderator
Registered: 2012-10-16
Posts: 25,405

Re: [SOLVED] Plex-media-server service will not start on systemd

Please post the relevant outputs as well

localectl
locale
locale -a
cat /etc/locale.conf

Offline

#3 2019-12-18 21:33:34

pontifikas
Member
Registered: 2019-12-17
Posts: 10

Re: [SOLVED] Plex-media-server service will not start on systemd

Running the commands you requested as root, I get the following:

$localectl             
   System Locale: LANG=en_US.UTF-8
       VC Keymap: n/a
      X11 Layout: n/a


$locale  
locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=


$locale -a
locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_COLLATE to default locale: No such file or directory
C
POSIX
es_US.utf8


$cat /etc/locale.conf 
LANG=en_US.UTF-8

I noticed the error message and I looked it up. All suggestions I found however don't seem to fix it or they do not match.
At one time I managed to get the errors away by setting my locales in the root's .bashrc at "C" but that didn't change how plex behaves.

To set the locale, to the best of my recollections, I only did what the installation guide says. And then installed Xorg, nvidia drivers and in the end KDE Plasma.
I then, through KDE, set up one more additional keyboard with the greek language.

To be honest, I first had the US, DE and GR-UTF8 locales un-commented in the locale.gen. I only left the US one an rerun locale-gen.
The above is the result after that. It didn't make any difference to Plex.

Btw what makes you think immediately that this is a locale issue?

Last edited by pontifikas (2019-12-18 21:39:39)

Offline

#4 2019-12-18 22:25:38

V1del
Forum Moderator
Registered: 2012-10-16
Posts: 25,405

Re: [SOLVED] Plex-media-server service will not start on systemd

You don't have an en_US.UTF-8 locale generated but an es_US.UTF8  locale (that's what locale -a is for, it shows which locales you've actually generated). It's unsurprising everything breaks. Double check your locale.gen and actually uncomment

en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8 

and run a

sudo locale-gen

as mentioned in https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Lo … ng_locales

What makes me immediately think that this is a locale issue is the fact that your dump contains

                                  #7  0x00007fdfec124c34 _ZNSt6locale5facet18_S_create_c_localeERP15__locale_structPKcS2_ (libstdc++.so.6 + 0xa8c34)
                                            #8  0x00007fdfec11a432 _ZNSt6locale5_ImplC2EPKcm (libstdc++.so.6 + 0x9e432)
                                            #9  0x00007fdfec11b0ad _ZNSt6localeC1EPKc (libstdc++.so.6 + 0x9f0ad)

i.e. showing that the code runs into fatal exceptions in standard locale routines of the standard c++ library, read it's a borderline miracle you are only noticing faults in plex server (Unless that's literally the first "real" application you are trying to get to run).

Last edited by V1del (2019-12-18 22:28:50)

Offline

#5 2019-12-19 07:58:53

pontifikas
Member
Registered: 2019-12-17
Posts: 10

Re: [SOLVED] Plex-media-server service will not start on systemd

Blast! That was subtle. I had to look 3 times after reading your post to actually see it. After all it was the same problem other people had hmm
Plex starts without problems now.
Thank you for the answer and the explanation!

Last edited by pontifikas (2019-12-19 07:59:51)

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB