You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-19 14:26:20

surister
Member
Registered: 2019-12-19
Posts: 7

Can't use dual monitor setup while using 'nvidia' propietary drivers.

Hello there,

My setup is the following:

Dual monitor:
1st.   Monitor connected to DP-2 directly to the GPU (GTX 1080) Using Nvidia drivers.
2nd.  Monitor connected to HDMI-2 directly to the motherboard (IG Gt 630)  Using Intel drivers.

I'm using i3-gaps, Xorg.

Problem:

If I use NVIDIA proprietary drivers I get a conflict with Intel Graphics making the screen go black, I solved this by
going to

/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

and blacklisting intel modules:

install i915 /usr/bin/false
install intel_agp /usr/bin/false 

as followed in https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NV … grated_GPU

But this makes it impossible for xrandr to detect the second monitor as, there are no integrated graphics drivers loaded.

If i change to nouveou I don't get the black screen issue thus not needing to black list Intel. The second monitor would works as intended.

My question:

How could I get what I want by using 'nvidia' drivers and not nouveau, I might play some games.
Is there by any chance a way to load the Intel driver after the boot or something similar?
I had this exact same setup a year ago with propietary nvidia, but I was not using vanilla arch.
Thanks in advance.

Offline

#2 2019-12-19 14:31:04

V1del
Forum Moderator
Registered: 2012-10-16
Posts: 25,405

Re: Can't use dual monitor setup while using 'nvidia' propietary drivers.

Why are you not plugging both into the nvidia graphics? FWIW what you can try is moving away/commenting the config in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-nvidia-drm-outputclass.conf and/or properly defining a configuration

Offline

#3 2019-12-19 14:36:04

surister
Member
Registered: 2019-12-19
Posts: 7

Re: Can't use dual monitor setup while using 'nvidia' propietary drivers.

V1del wrote:

Why are you not plugging both into the nvidia graphics? FWIW what you can try is moving away/commenting the config in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-nvidia-drm-outputclass.conf and/or properly defining a configuration

My HDMI port from the GPU doesn't work and the second monitor I own can only be plugged by HDMI hence needing this setup

Offline

#4 2019-12-19 15:01:50

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,171

Re: Can't use dual monitor setup while using 'nvidia' propietary drivers.

If I use NVIDIA proprietary drivers I get a conflict with Intel Graphics making the screen go black

You'll have to elaborate on this because there's no way you ever get output from the intel chip (where your 2nd monitor is plugged)

My HDMI port from the GPU doesn't work

What do you mean by "doesn't work"? Why not? What makes you believe so?

Offline

#5 2019-12-19 15:46:26

surister
Member
Registered: 2019-12-19
Posts: 7

Re: Can't use dual monitor setup while using 'nvidia' propietary drivers.

seth wrote:

If I use NVIDIA proprietary drivers I get a conflict with Intel Graphics making the screen go black

You'll have to elaborate on this because there's no way you ever get output from the intel chip (where your 2nd monitor is plugged)

My HDMI port from the GPU doesn't work

What do you mean by "doesn't work"? Why not? What makes you believe so?

Well it's simply that, with nvidia drivers installed I get a black screen when I boot, a bug akwnowledge here https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NV … grated_GPU

Offline

#6 2019-12-19 16:32:01

buo
Member
Registered: 2010-04-30
Posts: 15

Re: Can't use dual monitor setup while using 'nvidia' propietary drivers.

I had this problem with a computer at work (with Ubuntu, not Arch, but it sounds like the same issue). I solved it by disabling Intel modesetting in the kernel's boot parameters, using `i915.modeset=0`.

Offline

#7 2019-12-19 20:27:05

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,171

Re: Can't use dual monitor setup while using 'nvidia' propietary drivers.

Black screen on both outputs?
I'd suggest to blacklist the intel modules for the initrd but get the nvidia driver into it.
Otherwise just load the globally blacklisted intel modules via the systemd-modules-load service.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB