You are not logged in.
Hi guys,
I moved my home folder to a separate partition:
- created the partition
- mounted at /newhome
- rsynced everything under /home to /newhome
- remounted the partition to /home
- rebooted
Everything is fine, except a little thing: my root partition seems to still contain the files of the old home, as the free space reported by Disks is unchanged (while the used space reported by Disk Usage Analyzer decreased with the size of the home folder, which is a bit weird). So, here's my question: where did the old /home go? I'd like to delete those files.
Thank you!
Offline
It is hidden underneath the filesystem mounted at /home.
If you unmount /home the directories contents can then be removed.
Offline
Perfect, thank you.
As I scratched a bit my head about how to unmount the home dir, I'll leave this in case it might help others.
- reboot
- do not login!
- in login screen: Ctrl-Alt-F2 (will open TTY)
- login as root
- execute umount /home
- execute mv /home /oldhome
- reboot
- login normally
Now the old files can be found under /oldhome.
Offline
mv /home /oldhomeMeans there will be no home directory on the system. On next boot the home.mount service created it before mounting /home.
Offline