You are not logged in.

#1 2006-08-24 21:41:11

miller0521

Kernel Questions

I am wondering what the beyond kernel is. What are the benefits to using it? And if I use it, is it as simple as typing pacman -S kernel26beyond and reboot into it?

#2 2006-08-24 21:49:59

mr.MikyMaus

Re: Kernel Questions

The beyond kernel is in fact a -CK kernel with some additional patches, like reiser4, suspend2 etc.. Complete list of patches can be obtained at beyond homepage: http://iphitus.loudas.com/beyond.html

The most important benefit is fbsplash of course:)

And as for the installation process, while using pacman, everything you have to do is pacman -S kernel26beyond and add few lines to your /boot/grub/menu.lst.

-M.

What happened to Arch's KISS? systemd sure is stupid but I must have missed the simple part ...

... and who is general Failure and why is he reading my harddisk?

#3 2006-08-24 21:50:04

fk

beyond is a patchset for 2.6 kernel series

http://iphitus.loudas.com/beyond.html

And if I use it, is it as simple as typing pacman -S kernel26beyond and reboot into it?

no , you must rebuild your mkinitcpio, if you use, when not its recoment to use mkinitcpio.
And when you use Wlan driver eg intel 3945 you must reemerge these drivers for the beyound kernel

Have you tried to turn it off and on again?

#4 2006-08-24 21:51:12

vosen

http://iphitus.loudas.com/beyond.html
you also have to pacman your kernel modules to versions compiled for beyond. for example nvidia to nvidia-beyond
edit: you are too fast >.>

#5 2006-08-24 22:02:39

mr.MikyMaus

fk wrote:

no , you must rebuild your mkinitcpio, if you use, when not its recoment to use mkinitcpio.

That is not true. The initial ram disk, no matter if it's made by mkinitrd, mkinitramfs or mkinitcpio, is made within the pacman's kernel installation process (see ABS). ArchLinux uses mkinitcpio at the moment.

All you have to do (if you don't want to use fbsplash) is pacman -S kernel26beyond and adding beyond into Grub's menu.lst. The ARCH kernel and beyond kernel use different initial ramdisk files (kernel26.img and kernel26beyond.img afaik).

-M.

What happened to Arch's KISS? systemd sure is stupid but I must have missed the simple part ...

#6 2006-08-24 23:29:50

miller0521

What is fbsplash?

#7 2006-08-25 02:40:25

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

miller0521 wrote:

What is fbsplash?

fbsplash displays a picture in the background in the consoles and while the system is booting up.

#8 2006-08-25 17:54:19

miller0521

Snowman wrote:
miller0521 wrote:

What is fbsplash?

fbsplash displays a picture in the background in the consoles and while the system is booting up.

Oh... well I don't think I need to change my kernel simply to see a pretty picture for 20 seconds smile Text looks fine to me.

#9 2006-08-25 19:14:03

tomk
Forum Fellow

Just so you're clear - this statement here:

mr.MikyMaus wrote:

was intended as a joke (or if it wasn't, it should have been). As mentioned above, beyond brings together a large number of kernel patches, and if you decide to try it, the way you use your machine will determine which is more important for you. Check the beyond website, and the individual patch websites, where appropriate, for full details.

In short, it is definitely not just about pretty pictures at boot-time.

#10 2006-08-25 20:36:50

mr.MikyMaus

tomk wrote:

Just so you're clear - this statement here:

mr.MikyMaus wrote:

was intended as a joke (or if it wasn't, it should have been).

In short, it is definitely not just about pretty pictures at boot-time.

Of course it was ment as a joke. Thus the smiley wink (Btw, did you read vesafb documentation within kernel source tree?)

I know quite a lot people for which fbsplash was *most* important. They just wanted to have graphical boot no matter the cost..

I use beyond kernel to my almost complete satisfaction. Especially the suspend2, reiser4, -CK patchset (yeah, it *really* runs faster on desktop!), and maybe even things I don't know about.

But I have to admint, I got to beyond through fbsplash smile

-M.

Board footer