You are not logged in.

#1 2006-08-24 22:01:59

muffinnn

Searching package with pacman ?

Hi,

Question : How can I search the repository of pacman with some keyword : exemple : *fire*   

The reason :
I'm trying to get started by installing fluxbox and firefox. While fluxbox can be installed with "pacman -Sy fluxbox", I cannot do the same for firefox. I tried finding the command to search the repositiory for any package with *fire* but failed.

Any good tips on how to find package without having to use a browser to download a file ?

#2 2006-08-24 22:07:21

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

#3 2006-08-24 22:49:31

test1000

Re: Searching package with pacman ?

o_O You really want to print out the pacman manual.. i think.

You can print it out like this:

/bin/gunzip -c '/usr/man/man8/pacman.8.gz'| /usr/bin/gtbl | /usr/bin/nroff -Tlatin1 -mandoc -c|lpr

Should work, I just tried it.

edit: I suppose you could do that with all manpages smile and if this http://www.patoche.org/LTT/printer/00000141.html works(although you would have to change all */local/* paths): man-page printing becomes even more practical!

Now, remember to read some of it too: not just print it out XD

KISS = "It can scarcely be denied that the supreme goal of all theory is to make the irreducible basic elements as simple and as few as possible without having to surrender the adequate representation of a single datum of experience." - Albert Einstein

Board footer