clever

HP 15-dc1054nr.Installed Arch on SSD But cannot install windows on HDD

Product: HP 15-dc1054nr
Operating System: Archlinux
256G NVMe SSD
1TB HDD
Installed Both OS in MBR-Legacy BIOS mode
Hey guys

I'm trying too dual boot my laptop with Arch on SSD and windows on HDD.

I installed ArchLinux successfully. but when I try to install windows it says "windows cannot be installed to this disk. this computer hardware may not support booting to this disk"

Also, there is no option in the BIOS to boot from HDD, and only SSD is recognized as Notebook hard drive in the BIOS. but I can see HDD from every boot environment I tried.

after that, I installed windows on HDD via Windows PE Environment and a Tools called WinNTSetup.It PreInstall (or mainly extract) Windows from the Install.wim on the ISO. In normal situations after reboot and selecting Windows, Windows take some time to configure itself and detect hardware and drivers.
But when I added Windows Entry to the grub menu via os-prober and rebooted to it, it says

error: no such device:xxxxxxxxxxx

any idea?

#2 2019-12-28 17:23:02

paulkerry

Re: HP 15-dc1054nr.Installed Arch on SSD But cannot install windows on HDD

To me this looks like a windows installation issue, so this forum isn't the place to ask.

clever wrote:

Installed Both OS in MBR-Legacy BIOS mode

You don't say which version of windows, but it usually needs UEFI/GPT.

See also...
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Du … th_Windows
especially "The recommended way to setup a Linux/Windows dual booting system is to first install Windows..."

Cheers
Paul.

#3 2019-12-28 18:19:12

dglt

Re: HP 15-dc1054nr.Installed Arch on SSD But cannot install windows on HDD

you can try writing a new mbr partition table to the HDD with gparted or equivalent, remove/unplug the arch ssd and do a clean windows install to the HDD with a windows usb. if your trying to use the HP supplied recovery media, dont.

after windows is installed and booting you can put the arch ssd back in and make it the first boot device in bios. just make sure windows installs as legacy/mbr and not uefi/gpt

Last edited by dglt (2019-12-28 18:20:03)

Board footer