You are not logged in.
No idea, but did you read https://www.expressvpn.com/de/support/v … h-openvpn/ ?
Seems to be outdated, I can't find any .ovpn files while logged into their site.
Also contacted their support twice, both times the answer was similar to: 'we only have an ubuntu-solution for that, working on better support for Arch Linux.'
Offline
I can't find any .ovpn files while logged into their site.
You're supposed to download a zip archive. The website says it was last updated on May 17, 2019 - there're images for you to follow. That's really all I can tell you since I'm not using that service, thus I can't login.
Ask the fucking stupid support staffer to retroactively abort himself and before doing so: hand you the link for the ExpressVPN download page - if the images in that post don't reflect their fucking webpage, that's not an "not-ubuntu problem".
Offline
Tone it down a bit please, seth. I'm not sure why you are so riled up about this issue, but that sort of language is unnecessary.
@Tyskr: FWIW, I do use the service, and the instructions seth linked to do not appear out-of-date to me. The GUI instructions appear to be written for Ubuntu+Unity, but I checked and the plasma network manager configuration interface has very similar options.
However, I've read this thread twice, and I'm not still entirely sure what "issue" we are trying to address here. Is there any loss in network functionality, or other misbehaviour, or are you simply asking about a cosmetic issue with the network icon not appearing as you would expect?
Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD
Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.
Offline
The OP said he asked the support staff for help reg. the vpn profile download and the answer was "we only support ubuntu" - the issue at hand has nothing to do with the used distro at all, it's about "how do I get this data from you".
Thus "we only support ubuntu" is a lousy excuse for a meaningful answer and in it's nature insulting to the OPs intelligence. That's like you asking me for the direction and I tell you that this doesn't really work in Nikes, please wear Adidas.
Maybe I've also recently had to deal with a similarily stupid support, obviously reading answers from cardboards w/o any relation to the asked question…
Offline
Tone it down a bit please, seth. I'm not sure why you are so riled up about this issue, but that sort of language is unnecessary.
@Tyskr: FWIW, I do use the service, and the instructions seth linked to do not appear out-of-date to me. The GUI instructions appear to be written for Ubuntu+Unity, but I checked and the plasma network manager configuration interface has very similar options.
However, I've read this thread twice, and I'm not still entirely sure what "issue" we are trying to address here. Is there any loss in network functionality, or other misbehaviour, or are you simply asking about a cosmetic issue with the network icon not appearing as you would expect?
Basically it is just a cosmetic issue. But being new to Arch (and being me) I want to learn how to correct it and be satisfied with it. This already has been a success though, because I learned a lot while browsing the wiki and dealing with the problem in general (resolv.conf, DNS, network protocols).
As for Seths link, I'm grateful you're supporting me here (and all the other Users/Mods aswell!).
I will check out the plasma network manager configuration interface without the expressvpn AUR package (although I really like it) and do it 'from scratch'.
Offline
So my theory based on other threads reg. NM and the posted link would be that you really need to configure ExpressVPN through NM in order to get it aware of the VPN and the way to do so would be to use the profile they claim to provide.
Again: that's not a distro-specific thing. If the link doesn't exist as promoted on that support page, the support staff shall please provide you w/ the proper link. If they're unwilling or unable to do that, consider switching to a different service, because if it fails already on that level, you can't have high expectations when it comes to the actual VPN task…
Offline
Hey guys,
sorry for not replying. Still didn't find a fix for the '?' sadly, but there is another thing that bothers me.
So, I want to upgrade the expressvpn AUR package.
expressvpn --version
expressvpn version 2.3.4 (8a219d89)The most recent version in the AUR is 2.4.3.100_1-1
When I download the expressvpn-2.4.2-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz from the expressvpn official site and double click the .pkg.tar.xz it says:
To downgrade: expressvpn 2.4.2-1 (2.4.3.100_1-1) <- Makes me think I have the most recent version?!
So, when I do
yay -S expressvpn pretty much at the end of the installation:
Upgrading userdata
Migrating with shared library version: v2.1.0-18-g260cef6
workdir: /var/lib/expressvpn
Migrate Data version: 1
No user data found. Migration will adjourn
Does anyone know what is going on?
Last edited by Tyskr (2020-02-26 20:07:43)
Offline