You are not logged in.
A little background:
+ I had dual booted my arch with windows initially, arch was sitting on HDD and windows was on my SSD. (Which was by mistake, I thought I was installing on my arch on SSD )
+ After 6 months of never using windows, I had some free time, so I thought I will atleast remove windows and add SSD space to arch.
+ I deleted the partition of SSD from BIOS (I don't exactly know how it deletes or what exactly got deleted), In BIOS it showed that the SSD was failing and it asked me whether to delete the partition, I said 'yes' and deleted it.
+ after that, in BIOS, it showed SSD with some 230+ GB space (should have been 512 GB, so is windows files still present?)
+ so, I hopped into Arch linux and did `cfdisk`, it told me that there is an extra free space with only 547 M left (???)
I don't understand what's happening. Need some Guidance.
Note: Before deleting the SSD partition in BIOS, if I did `cffdisk`, it never showed me ssd, not even that 547M.
[Solution]: Had to change SSD from RAID to AHCPI in bios.
Last edited by reaganrewop (2020-01-02 13:22:48)
Offline
OK. I will try gparted. but I tried to extend with cfdisk. it showed me that there are no free space other than that 547.
Offline
I don't even see ssd in /dev/sda, doesn't show SSD free space.
So I think, it was a coincidence that I got 547 M free space, so my SSD is not even being recognized. Anything I can do to fix this?
Last edited by reaganrewop (2019-12-30 12:19:58)
Offline
Is your SSD 1 TB? The screenshot you shared is showing a disk of that size. It couldn't be more self-explanatory... (the layout). What if you go to the upper right pulldown menu? Guessing you will see another disk.
Offline
No. the 1 TB is my HDD, which my arch linux is loaded onto. I don't see any other disk when I drop-down. Ideally, I should for my ssd.
Offline
post lsblk -f output please.
Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.
clean chroot building not flexible enough ?
Try clean chroot manager by graysky
Offline
Also the output of `parted -l` please.
Offline
Also the output of `parted -l` please.
Model: ATA ST1000LM049-2GH1 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 1000GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
Partition Table: gpt
Disk Flags:
Number Start End Size File system Name Flags
1 1049kB 501MB 500MB fat32 boot, esp
2 1075MB 982GB 981GB ext4
3 982GB 1000GB 18.3GB linux-swap(v1) swap
post lsblk -f output please.
NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda 8:0 0 931.5G 0 disk
sda1 8:1 0 476.9M 0 part /boot
sda2 8:2 0 913.5G 0 part /
sda3 8:3 0 17G 0 part [SWAP]
It's the same. Not recognizing ssd, right?
Offline
The full output of dmesg please. See the tip box from pastebin to post from the console.
Please use code tags for commands and their outputs.
Offline
The full output of dmesg please. See the tip box from pastebin to post from the console.
Please use code tags for commands and their outputs.
Offline
In BIOS it showed that the SSD was failing...
Perhaps it was. And it did.
In either case, your title is misleading. This has nothing to do with not recognizing the full size of the device, but just that the ssd device is not detected at all.
"UNIX is simple and coherent" - Dennis Ritchie; "GNU's Not Unix" - Richard Stallman
Offline
reaganrewop wrote:In BIOS it showed that the SSD was failing...
Perhaps it was. And it did.
In either case, your title is misleading. This has nothing to do with not recognizing the full size of the device, but just that the ssd device is not detected at all.
I initially thought that the 547M which it was showing in fdisk was the ssd. That it why I mentioned that.
even if there are bad sectors, it should have recognized the ssd right?
and even before it was shown as failing (while I was running dual boot with windows 10 on ssd), Arch linux didn't recognize that and didn't show any extra disk.
Offline
The start of dmesg is missing. If the dmesg buffer has overflowed you can try `journalctl -kb` instead.
Offline
The start of dmesg is missing. If the dmesg buffer has overflowed you can try `journalctl -kb` instead.
I'm sorry, I didn't recognize that.
Here you go
http://ix.io/25UR
Is this sufficient?
Offline
bios has an option for disabling disks. check it, you may have disabled your ssd. also it can be a hardware problem. maybe you didn't configured your arch system correctly. i searched and no special module needs to be loaded.
Offline
The buffer is overflowed before it was read by journalctl. Please try adding the boot parameter log_buf_len=4M
Edit:
Also the output of `lspci` to try and find what 0000:00:1d.0 is.
[ 677.970896] pcieport 0000:00:1d.0: AER: Corrected error received: 0000:03:00.0
[ 677.970976] alx 0000:03:00.0: AER: PCIe Bus Error: severity=Corrected, type=Data Link Layer, (Receiver ID)
[ 677.970977] alx 0000:03:00.0: AER: device [1969:e0b1] error status/mask=00000080/00002000
[ 677.970978] alx 0000:03:00.0: AER: [ 7] BadDLLP Edit:
In fact try booting with pci=noaer to try and silence the PCI advanced error reporting.
Last edited by loqs (2019-12-30 14:25:35)
Offline
bios has an option for disabling disks. check it, you may have disabled your ssd. also it can be a hardware problem. maybe you didn't configured your arch system correctly. i searched and no special module needs to be loaded.
yes, I have indeed checked that. And I am certain that it is not disabled.
Offline
The buffer is overflowed before it was read by journalctl. Please try adding the boot parameter log_buf_len=4M
Edit:
Also the output of `lspci` to try and find what 0000:00:1d.0 is.[ 677.970896] pcieport 0000:00:1d.0: AER: Corrected error received: 0000:03:00.0 [ 677.970976] alx 0000:03:00.0: AER: PCIe Bus Error: severity=Corrected, type=Data Link Layer, (Receiver ID) [ 677.970977] alx 0000:03:00.0: AER: device [1969:e0b1] error status/mask=00000080/00002000 [ 677.970978] alx 0000:03:00.0: AER: [ 7] BadDLLPEdit:
In fact try booting with pci=noaer to try and silence the PCI advanced error reporting.
Below log is after adding those parameters.
http://ix.io/25Vi
I tried checking that, 0000:00:1d.0 points to 00:1d.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Cannon Lake PCH PCI Express Root Port #15 (rev f0)
I am not quite sure how to check what is connected to port 15.
Offline
Dec 30 20:29:09 ray kernel: ahci 0000:00:17.0: version 3.0
Dec 30 20:29:09 ray kernel: ahci 0000:00:17.0: Found 2 remapped NVMe devices.
Dec 30 20:29:09 ray kernel: ahci 0000:00:17.0: Switch your BIOS from RAID to AHCI mode to use them.
Dec 30 20:29:09 ray kernel: ahci 0000:00:17.0: AHCI 0001.0301 32 slots 3 ports 6 Gbps 0x31 impl RAID mode
Dec 30 20:29:09 ray kernel: ahci 0000:00:17.0: flags: 64bit ncq sntf pm clo only pio slum part deso sadm sds apst
Online
Dec 30 20:29:09 ray kernel: ahci 0000:00:17.0: version 3.0
Dec 30 20:29:09 ray kernel: ahci 0000:00:17.0: Found 2 remapped NVMe devices.
Dec 30 20:29:09 ray kernel: ahci 0000:00:17.0: Switch your BIOS from RAID to AHCI mode to use them.
Dec 30 20:29:09 ray kernel: ahci 0000:00:17.0: AHCI 0001.0301 32 slots 3 ports 6 Gbps 0x31 impl RAID mode
Dec 30 20:29:09 ray kernel: ahci 0000:00:17.0: flags: 64bit ncq sntf pm clo only pio slum part deso sadm sds apst
Thanks! I changed from R.A.I.D to AHCI, works now. but It shows only 238.5 G. While my SSD is 512 G.
Any reasons for that?
Offline
Certainly, but if you want to know which, you'll have to provide some data to work with.
Let's start with updates of the parted and lsblk outputs.
Online
parted -l
Model: ATA ST1000LM049-2GH1 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 1000GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
Partition Table: gpt
Disk Flags:
Number Start End Size File system Name Flags
1 1049kB 501MB 500MB fat32 boot, esp
2 1075MB 982GB 981GB ext4
3 982GB 1000GB 18.3GB linux-swap(v1) swap
Model: KINGSTON RBUSNS8154P3256GJ (nvme)
Disk /dev/nvme0n1: 256GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos
Disk Flags:
Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
1 1049kB 256GB 256GB primary ntfs
lsblk -t
NAME ALIGNMENT MIN-IO OPT-IO PHY-SEC LOG-SEC ROTA SCHED RQ-SIZE RA WSAME
sda 0 4096 0 4096 512 1 mq-deadline 64 128 0B
├─sda1 0 4096 0 4096 512 1 mq-deadline 64 128 0B
├─sda2 0 4096 0 4096 512 1 mq-deadline 64 128 0B
└─sda3 0 4096 0 4096 512 1 mq-deadline 64 128 0B
nvme0n1 0 512 512 512 512 0 none 1023 128 0B
└─nvme0n1p1 0 512 512 512 512 0 none 1023 128 0B
Offline
In future, please use "code" tags for command I/O and file contents. Thanks.
Model: KINGSTON RBUSNS8154P3256GJ (nvme)The internet™ agrees that this is actually a 256GB drive (as the model number implies) - why do you think it's not?
Online
Oh, shoot! I think I made a mess. I looked at my laptop spec online and it seems there are two variants, one has 256 GB ssd and other had 512 GB ssd.
I might have got confused. sorry! cheers for the help though.
Offline