You are not logged in.
Hi,
One of the first steps after installing arch was to install a display manager. I went for the basic settings found in the light dm wiki page https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Li … stallation.
What I notice is about 20% of the time the greeter doesn't start. I get only a black screen. I need to use ctrl+alt+F2 to enter a new tty session then manually start my DE (cinnamon) with startx.
I installed both lightdm and lightdm-gtk-greeter. I edited /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf to specify
greeter-session=lightdm-gtk-greeterI started and enabled light dm
sudo systemctl enable lightdm && sudo systemctl start lightdmThe odd thing to me is that it isn't every time I reboot I get the issue. Maybe 1 in 5 attempts and I have to do my work around.
Does someone know of more config files/logs I can check?
Last edited by tomdodson (2020-01-04 02:49:33)
Offline
Have you researched "kernel entropy" and tools such as haveged or rng-tools to help overcome it? You will also want to ensure that linux-firmware is installed. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ra … generation
UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things. -- Doug Gwyn
Offline
If it's not the entropy pool (check your journal for "crng") may just https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Li … TTY_output ?
Offline
Thanks for the replies, I've never heard of kernel entropy I will check into that. I will try adding that setting in lightdm (I overlooked the solution on the page i was reading. RTFM right?).
I'll make that change and reboot several times and report back on my status.
Offline
That was it! Note that there are two settings for
logind-check-graphicalOne under the [LightDM] tag and one globally at the top of the file. I had to use the one under the [LightDM] tag, but I tried rebooting several times and It appears to consistently show me the greeter.
Thanks this issue is solved.
Offline
Cool.
Please always remember to mark resolved threads by editing your initial posts subject - so others will know that there's no task left, but maybe a solution to find.
Thanks.
Offline