You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-30 17:07:38

Paku
Member
Registered: 2019-12-30
Posts: 17

PAM broken after VM transfer rescued with chrooted mkinitcpio

First of all would like to say hello as it's my first post here!

But getting to point ...

My problem is my Arch guest died after transfer from VMWare  to Hyper-V host.

So I started with chroot into original disk to mkinitcpio, it worked, but now it seems the pam package is somehow broken.
The system does boot, but I can not log in as root.

All I can do is chroot into it, but any commands using pam shows errors like

PAM unable to dlopen (/usr/lib/security/pam_unix.so) libtirpc.so.3: file too short
PAM adding faulty module: /usr/lib/security/pam_unix.so

So I tried

pacman -S pam 

Did not solve the problem.

Then I renamed the libtirpc.so files but pacman did not repair them ...

Any ideas?

Offline

#2 2019-12-30 17:11:49

Scimmia
Fellow
Registered: 2012-09-01
Posts: 13,729

Re: PAM broken after VM transfer rescued with chrooted mkinitcpio

It's not complaining about pam, it's complaining about libtirpc.so.3, that's what needs to be reinstalled. Look at pacman's options for 'Query'

That's filesystem corruption. Might want to reinstall all packages.

Offline

#3 2019-12-30 17:23:17

Paku
Member
Registered: 2019-12-30
Posts: 17

Re: PAM broken after VM transfer rescued with chrooted mkinitcpio

libtirpc.so.3 is not listed as any package part, so I tried pam as calling pam_unix.so is part of pam.

Offline

#4 2019-12-30 17:27:11

Scimmia
Fellow
Registered: 2012-09-01
Posts: 13,729

Re: PAM broken after VM transfer rescued with chrooted mkinitcpio

If -Qo tells you that it's not owned by any package, your pacman database is corrupted, too. What did you do to this system?

Anyway: https://www.archlinux.org/packages/core … /libtirpc/
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pa … )%22_error

Last edited by Scimmia (2019-12-30 17:27:43)

Offline

#5 2019-12-30 18:18:58

Paku
Member
Registered: 2019-12-30
Posts: 17

Re: PAM broken after VM transfer rescued with chrooted mkinitcpio

It seems libtirpc is broken. It's not listed in pacman db but it left files in the filesystem. Overwrite is not working .... Should I remove them manually ?? There should be any other way to clear the filesystem....
Same with nano btw.
I think the VM converter broke filesystem somehow.

Last edited by Paku (2019-12-30 18:20:37)

Offline

#6 2019-12-30 18:31:54

Scimmia
Fellow
Registered: 2012-09-01
Posts: 13,729

Re: PAM broken after VM transfer rescued with chrooted mkinitcpio

overwrite should work fine, check the man page on how to use it.

Offline

#7 2019-12-30 18:46:40

Paku
Member
Registered: 2019-12-30
Posts: 17

Re: PAM broken after VM transfer rescued with chrooted mkinitcpio

What does it mean ??

Using --overwrite will not allow overwriting a directory with a file or installing packages with conflicting files and directories.

Offline

#8 2019-12-30 18:49:41

Scimmia
Fellow
Registered: 2012-09-01
Posts: 13,729

Re: PAM broken after VM transfer rescued with chrooted mkinitcpio

That's not the situation you have, though. This is exactly what it is for.

Last edited by Scimmia (2019-12-30 18:50:45)

Offline

#9 2019-12-30 18:57:39

Paku
Member
Registered: 2019-12-30
Posts: 17

Re: PAM broken after VM transfer rescued with chrooted mkinitcpio

Ok, solved finally with --overwrite and a lot of '*'
Thank you for your time.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB