You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-31 15:39:51

BelowZero
Member
Registered: 2018-03-13
Posts: 59

Is there a way to put my laptop display to sleep quickly? [SOLVED]

I put down my laptop and walk away from time to time, and I'd just like to put the display to sleep to save power.  The computer can keep running.  I usually return in a few minutes and would like to continue where I left off, but I really want to minimize power drain from the display while I'm away.  Is there something I can install to do this, possibly with a keyboard press or mouse gesture?

Last edited by BelowZero (2019-12-31 20:26:57)

Offline

#2 2019-12-31 15:49:48

Slithery
Administrator
From: Norfolk, UK
Registered: 2013-12-01
Posts: 5,776

Re: Is there a way to put my laptop display to sleep quickly? [SOLVED]


No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

Offline

#3 2019-12-31 17:12:12

ewaller
Administrator
From: Pasadena, CA
Registered: 2009-07-13
Posts: 20,703

Re: Is there a way to put my laptop display to sleep quickly? [SOLVED]

Uncomment the HandlePowerKey line in /etc/systemd/login.d so that it reads:

HandlePowerKey=suspend

Reboot.
When you want to sleep, briefly press the power switch.   Wake up by pressing any keyboard key.


Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
The shortest way to ruin a country is to give power to demagogues.— Dionysius of Halicarnassus
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Offline

#4 2019-12-31 20:26:41

BelowZero
Member
Registered: 2018-03-13
Posts: 59

Re: Is there a way to put my laptop display to sleep quickly? [SOLVED]

Excellent, thanks!

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB