You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-01 21:28:00

Sheltr
Member
Registered: 2020-01-01
Posts: 15

Out of disk space already?

This is probably a really simple common problem, but I haven't ran into it until now.
I'm currently running KDE Plasma and everything is telling me I am currently out of disk space on my 1 TB SSD
This is clearly not true as firelight displays I am only using 11% of my partition. which sounds about right to me. I barely have anything currently installed and I don't have any large files. DF claims I am in fact using 100% of that partition.
I am guessing this is an error of mine during installation a while back. what actions do I need to take to allow me to use the rest of my partition?

Sorry if this is a common problem, thanks for reading.

Offline

#2 2020-01-01 21:31:24

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,150

Re: Out of disk space already?

Please post the outputs of "df -h" and "df -hi".

Offline

#3 2020-01-01 21:33:15

Sheltr
Member
Registered: 2020-01-01
Posts: 15

Re: Out of disk space already?

Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
dev             7.8G     0  7.8G   0% /dev
run             7.9G  1.4M  7.9G   1% /run
/dev/sdb4       915G  102G     0 100% /
tmpfs           7.9G  260M  7.6G   4% /dev/shm
tmpfs           7.9G     0  7.9G   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
tmpfs           7.9G  128K  7.9G   1% /tmp
/dev/sdb2       511M   96M  416M  19% /boot
tmpfs           1.6G   20K  1.6G   1% /run/user/1000
~ $ df -hi
Filesystem     Inodes IUsed IFree IUse% Mounted on
dev              2.0M   525  2.0M    1% /dev
run              2.0M   810  2.0M    1% /run
/dev/sdb4           0     0     0     - /
tmpfs            2.0M   287  2.0M    1% /dev/shm
tmpfs            2.0M    18  2.0M    1% /sys/fs/cgroup
tmpfs            2.0M    44  2.0M    1% /tmp
/dev/sdb2           0     0     0     - /boot
tmpfs            2.0M    38  2.0M    1% /run/user/1000

Here you are.

Last edited by Sheltr (2020-01-01 21:44:27)

Offline

#4 2020-01-01 21:39:03

aiBo
Member
Registered: 2010-11-10
Posts: 50

Re: Out of disk space already?

The inode usage is "interesting" for the mounted disk. Could you please post the output of the command "findmnt".

Offline

#5 2020-01-01 21:40:08

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,150

Re: Out of disk space already?

Please use code tags for shell I/O and text contents.

This is btrfs?

# btrfs filesystem usage /

The space is probably taken by snapshots, see eg. http://www.nrtm.org/index.php/2012/03/1 … nt-page-1/

Offline

#6 2020-01-01 21:41:06

Sheltr
Member
Registered: 2020-01-01
Posts: 15

Re: Out of disk space already?

~ $ findmnt
TARGET                                SOURCE      FSTYPE     OPTIONS
/                                     /dev/sdb4[/root]
│                                                 btrfs      rw,relatime,ssd,space_cache,subvolid=256,subvol=/
├─/proc                               proc        proc       rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime
│ └─/proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc          systemd-1   autofs     rw,relatime,fd=28,pgrp=1,timeout=0,minproto=5,max
│   └─/proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc        binfmt_misc binfmt_mis rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime
├─/sys                                sys         sysfs      rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime
│ ├─/sys/kernel/security              securityfs  securityfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime
│ ├─/sys/fs/cgroup                    tmpfs       tmpfs      ro,nosuid,nodev,noexec,mode=755
│ │ ├─/sys/fs/cgroup/unified          cgroup2     cgroup2    rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,nsdelegate
│ │ ├─/sys/fs/cgroup/systemd          cgroup      cgroup     rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,xattr,name=system
│ │ ├─/sys/fs/cgroup/hugetlb          cgroup      cgroup     rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,hugetlb
│ │ ├─/sys/fs/cgroup/cpu,cpuacct      cgroup      cgroup     rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpu,cpuacct
│ │ ├─/sys/fs/cgroup/memory           cgroup      cgroup     rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,memory
│ │ ├─/sys/fs/cgroup/net_cls,net_prio cgroup      cgroup     rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,net_cls,net_prio
│ │ ├─/sys/fs/cgroup/devices          cgroup      cgroup     rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,devices
│ │ ├─/sys/fs/cgroup/perf_event       cgroup      cgroup     rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,perf_event
│ │ ├─/sys/fs/cgroup/cpuset           cgroup      cgroup     rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpuset
│ │ ├─/sys/fs/cgroup/pids             cgroup      cgroup     rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,pids
│ │ ├─/sys/fs/cgroup/freezer          cgroup      cgroup     rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,freezer
│ │ ├─/sys/fs/cgroup/blkio            cgroup      cgroup     rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,blkio
│ │ └─/sys/fs/cgroup/rdma             cgroup      cgroup     rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,rdma
│ ├─/sys/fs/pstore                    pstore      pstore     rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime
│ ├─/sys/fs/bpf                       none        bpf        rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,mode=700
│ ├─/sys/kernel/debug                 debugfs     debugfs    rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime
│ └─/sys/kernel/config                configfs    configfs   rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime
├─/dev                                dev         devtmpfs   rw,nosuid,relatime,size=8145488k,nr_inodes=203637
│ ├─/dev/shm                          tmpfs       tmpfs      rw,nosuid,nodev
│ ├─/dev/pts                          devpts      devpts     rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode
│ ├─/dev/mqueue                       mqueue      mqueue     rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime
│ └─/dev/hugepages                    hugetlbfs   hugetlbfs  rw,relatime,pagesize=2M
├─/run                                run         tmpfs      rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,mode=755
│ └─/run/user/1000                    tmpfs       tmpfs      rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,size=1637184k,mode=700,u
├─/tmp                                tmpfs       tmpfs      rw,nosuid,nodev
└─/boot                               /dev/sdb2   vfat       rw,relatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=437,io

This is the output.

Last edited by Sheltr (2020-01-01 21:44:01)

Offline

#7 2020-01-01 21:42:01

jasonwryan
Anarchist
From: .nz
Registered: 2009-05-09
Posts: 30,426
Website

Re: Out of disk space already?

seth wrote:

Please use code tags for shell I/O and text contents.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … s_and_code


Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Offline

#8 2020-01-01 22:08:32

Sheltr
Member
Registered: 2020-01-01
Posts: 15

Re: Out of disk space already?

I don't have snapper installed, is it required for snapshots?
Edit- Sorry I mean editing or deleting snapshots? I don't even remember setting snapshots up, unless it is an automatic action?

Last edited by Sheltr (2020-01-01 22:11:26)

Offline

#9 2020-01-01 22:25:32

Sheltr
Member
Registered: 2020-01-01
Posts: 15

Re: Out of disk space already?

Alright I'll be honest, not sure what I did... but uh its fixed now, Thanks for the help.
Edit- Never mind it is not in fact fixed.

Last edited by Sheltr (2020-01-01 22:38:09)

Offline

#10 2020-01-01 22:39:53

Sheltr
Member
Registered: 2020-01-01
Posts: 15

Re: Out of disk space already?

I had it showing up correctly for a while there but it has reverted back to showing I have no space.

Offline

#11 2020-01-01 22:49:39

jasonwryan
Anarchist
From: .nz
Registered: 2009-05-09
Posts: 30,426
Website

Re: Out of disk space already?


Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Offline

#12 2020-01-02 00:40:25

ewaller
Administrator
From: Pasadena, CA
Registered: 2009-07-13
Posts: 20,703

Re: Out of disk space already?

Indeed.  I considered merging, but it would turn into a jumbled mess.  Closing this thread in deference to the older thread.

Closed.


Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
The shortest way to ruin a country is to give power to demagogues.— Dionysius of Halicarnassus
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB